Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 168
Well, we (US passports) tried to chance it and used miles for 3 one way tickets for HKG-PVG, PVG-TPE via HKG and TPE-HKG.
Wow! I'm sorry that happened to you; a friend of mine was also bounced by PVG border control a few years back (managed to lose his HK ID in Thailand), and he reported that being held up in windowless rooms was unpleasant.

I have a hunch that politics played a role in your mistreatment. Whether or not they did, the shear fact that this happened to you leads me to advise all HK visitors that want to snag an easy 2-day trip to Shanghai actually buy refundable tickets between Shanghai and CJU/ICN/PUS. (Getting a lecture in one thing, but being bounced is quite another.)

In fact, this wouldn't be a bad idea of the LAX-NRT-PVG-NRT-LAX crowd either; one anal officer could result in a night inside some horrible holding cell, followed by an immediate trip back to NRT on the 9a flight.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:40 pm

I had an experience last year in PVG, from Canada, travelling on to Singapore. They called a supervisor, who came and took away my passport plus flight printouts . He was gone for perhaps 10-15 minutes, but it sure felt longer standing off to the side of the counter, and watching person after person zoom through, all the while wondering what is going on.

It sure makes me wonder whether this "mini-torture" is worth it, for the cost of a visa.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:40 am

Flying from MXP (milano) to SHV
1. arrival in SHV (Shanghai Pudong) at 05.50,
2. next day departure from SHV at 16.00, arrival PEK (Beijing) 18.15, change aircraft, departure from PEK to MNL (Manila) at 20.00.
In Beijing my transfer is all in terminal 3.

All flights on a single ticket. All flights confirmed. Receipt ok. All flights with Air China.
Can I do without a transit visa?
My passport is from Italy.

Please tell me that is possible
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Topolino
Flying from MXP (milano) to SHV
1. arrival in SHV (Shanghai Pudong) at 05.50,
2. next day departure from SHV at 16.00, arrival PEK (Beijing) 18.15, change aircraft, departure from PEK to MNL (Manila) at 20.00.
In Beijing my transfer is all in terminal 3.

All flights on a single ticket. All flights confirmed. Receipt ok. All flights with Air China.
Can I do without a transit visa?
My passport is from Italy.

Please tell me that is possible
Sorry, but not possible.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:58 am

Update

Originally Posted by thqu60
I have an award ticket to Asia for October: SFO-SGN on CX, then SGN-PVG-NRT-SFO on JAL.
I arrive PVG via NRT from SGN at 12pm on Monday, then leave PVG to NRT at 11:50am on Wednesday. With a US passport and ticket receipt, is it ok for me to leave Pudong Airport to go to the Expo without a Chinese visa?
I was denied entry into Shanghai and was put on the next flight back to NRT .... should have booked CX from SGN-(HKG)-PVG instead of JAL via NRT :-(((
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by thqu60
I was denied entry into Shanghai and was put on the next flight back to NRT .... should have booked CX from SGN-(HKG)-PVG instead of JAL via NRT :-(((
When I read your first inquiry a few months ago, I didn't respond, but had a feeling you were going to get bounced. First of all, the fact you originated in Vietnam was irrelevant--what mattered were the segments in bound and outbound, and what you showed was NRT-PVG and PVG-NRT. That's a no-no. As you did it, it's pretty obvious when your final destination was North America, that you were backtracking from NRT just to purposely go to PVG. That does not meet the requirements or the intent of the visa-free transit allowance. If there had been available an actual nonstop segment SGN-PVG (I know it doesn't exist) then onward to NRT, you should have been OK. Yes, you should have booked the transit through HKG instead and you'd probably have been OK also.

I've heard that regardless of blathering in the media by officials, real-time PVG immigration officers during the Expo period have not been inclined to let slide the strict interpretation of the purpose and the timing of the visa-free transit rule. And you were running yours toward the limit. In their shoes, I'd have assumed (correctly) that all you were trying to do was get in a quickie visit to Expo without paying for a Chinese visa.

Last edited by jiejie; Oct 21, 2010 at 7:17 pm
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
When I read your first inquiry a few months ago, I didn't respond, but had a feeling you were going to get bounced.
I thought he would pull it off (post 30), but advised him that he was taking a risk (post 27). Stories like this make me thankful that I have a PRC visa.

thqu60: I'm sorry for your bad experience.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:19 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Expo Paranoia

i.e. 08 Olympics
Oct 2009 60th Anniv PRC
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:01 pm

I have the following itinerary for an upcoming trip to Shanghai and Seoul (from Europe): FRA-PVG-ICN-PVG-FRA. This is composed of two return tickets: FRA-PVG with Lufthansa and PVG-ICN with China Southern. The first stop at PVG is only 36 hours, and my plan is to ask the immigration officials for a (visa-free) transit stamp for this short stay. Then I will use a single-entry visa when I come back to PVG the second time around for a longer stay.

I should note that I hold a Danish passport, so the 48-hour transit rule at PVG applies to me.

Would you guys say this is guaranteed to work? My fear is that, when I show immigration officials at PVG my onward ticket to ICN, the fact that this is a return ticket will cause problems.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
If you're planning to get a Chinese visa anyway, why not get a multiple entry visa before your FRA-PVG flight which would ensure you won't have any problems.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by fsfguy
If you're planning to get a Chinese visa anyway, why not get a multiple entry visa before your FRA-PVG flight which would ensure you won't have any problems.
As it happens, I already have a visa valid for one entry, so if that can cover my whole trip, it will save me the time and money of going to the embassy again.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by hoseunyan
Would you guys say this is guaranteed to work? My fear is that, when I show immigration officials at PVG my onward ticket to ICN, the fact that this is a return ticket will cause problems.
Where you are traveling in the future is of no relevance. All that matters is that you convince border control that you intend to go to a third country within 48 hours (you can change your destination after you get through).

Also, make sure they don't mark your visa during trip 1, and try to get that special diamond shaped transit visa stamp.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by hoseunyan
I have the following itinerary for an upcoming trip to Shanghai and Seoul (from Europe): FRA-PVG-ICN-PVG-FRA. This is composed of two return tickets: FRA-PVG with Lufthansa and PVG-ICN with China Southern. The first stop at PVG is only 36 hours, and my plan is to ask the immigration officials for a (visa-free) transit stamp for this short stay. Then I will use a single-entry visa when I come back to PVG the second time around for a longer stay.

I should note that I hold a Danish passport, so the 48-hour transit rule at PVG applies to me.

I think you may have a problem. On three interrelated issues:

1) When you go for the visa-free transit stamp, you normally need to show your onward boarding pass, not your ticket or e-confirmation. How will you get this boarding pass? I doubt if you can get it in your origin FRA, so you'd have to find a transfer desk at PVG after you deplane and before immigration, that can issue the CZ (China Southern) boarding pass. A more seasoned PVG veteran will have to comment on airport layout as to whether that is possible. It doesn't help that your flight are on airlines of two different alliances.

2) Given that the tickets are on two separate PNR's with termination and origin points at PVG, I think you will have a more difficult time convincing immigration officials you are entitled to visa-free transit. Note that I do not say "impossible" just difficult. When your supporting documentation doesn't line up cleanly on making the case for VFT--such as one ticket FRA-PVG-ICN, then you're going to have to work harder, and be prepared to be denied.

3) If for any reason they don't like your story, they will insist on using your single entry visa for your first pass through. Frankly, I think they will see the visa and use it anyway, with or without your commentary. The net result of this would be for you to have to get another Chinese visa in Seoul.

You should seriously consider doing one of two things, if you want to be "safe" for entries: Either (a) Go back to the Chinese Embassy now and get a double-entry visa, yes applying and paying again (they'll cancel the unused single-entry one you have now). OR (b) Look into getting your air ticketing changed to either getting a complete routing with long connection on one ticket. Option (c), cancelling the CZ ticket and rebooking the 2nd ticket with a Star Alliance carrier (prob Asiana) for which LH can issue the onward bp PVG-ICN in FRA at the outset, may be possible BUT not 100% bulletproof since you'd still have two tickets with PVG as termination and origination points.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
I think you may have a problem. On three interrelated issues:

1) When you go for the visa-free transit stamp, you normally need to show your onward boarding pass, not your ticket or e-confirmation. How will you get this boarding pass? I doubt if you can get it in your origin FRA, so you'd have to find a transfer desk at PVG after you deplane and before immigration, that can issue the CZ (China Southern) boarding pass. A more seasoned PVG veteran will have to comment on airport layout as to whether that is possible. It doesn't help that your flight are on airlines of two different alliances.

2) Given that the tickets are on two separate PNR's with termination and origin points at PVG, I think you will have a more difficult time convincing immigration officials you are entitled to visa-free transit. Note that I do not say "impossible" just difficult. When your supporting documentation doesn't line up cleanly on making the case for VFT--such as one ticket FRA-PVG-ICN, then you're going to have to work harder, and be prepared to be denied.

3) If for any reason they don't like your story, they will insist on using your single entry visa for your first pass through. Frankly, I think they will see the visa and use it anyway, with or without your commentary. The net result of this would be for you to have to get another Chinese visa in Seoul.

You should seriously consider doing one of two things, if you want to be "safe" for entries: Either (a) Go back to the Chinese Embassy now and get a double-entry visa, yes applying and paying again (they'll cancel the unused single-entry one you have now). OR (b) Look into getting your air ticketing changed to either getting a complete routing with long connection on one ticket. Option (c), cancelling the CZ ticket and rebooking the 2nd ticket with a Star Alliance carrier (prob Asiana) for which LH can issue the onward bp PVG-ICN in FRA at the outset, may be possible BUT not 100% bulletproof since you'd still have two tickets with PVG as termination and origination points.
JieJie:

-they certainly don't require boarding passes to transit. Setting aside the fact that many airlines e.g. UA don't normally issue BPs on airlines like CX, CZ, KA, TG, we're talking about 48 hours here. I've never heard of being able to get BPs that far out (could be as high as 60 hours assuming 12 hour flight to SH).

-again, where his tickets terminate is not important; they only care where the airplane he is departing on goes

-if worried about this, buying a refundable ticket to somewhere else is an easy fix
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
JieJie:

-they certainly don't require boarding passes to transit. Setting aside the fact that many airlines e.g. UA don't normally issue BPs on airlines like CX, CZ, KA, TG, we're talking about 48 hours here. I've never heard of being able to get BPs that far out (could be as high as 60 hours assuming 12 hour flight to SH).

-again, where his tickets terminate is not important; they only care where the airplane he is departing on goes

-if worried about this, buying a refundable ticket to somewhere else is an easy fix
--OK, I see your point on the time frame for BP issuance. My experience with acquaintances doing this is mostly at PEK, which is 24 hours and for which bp's are issuable, and for which my anecdotal evidence is that they want to see the bp itself. When I wrote that, I forgot PVG is 48 hours allowance.

--I'll think stand by the rest of my previous statement. I did not guarantee that the fellow would find it impossible to achieve a VFT eastbound, but if he doesn't want them to use the visa in his passport the first time through, he is going to have to do some explaining that they may not accept, and stamp his visa anyway. As long as he is prepared for this eventuality, and in that event, understand he would then either need to get another Chinese visa in Seoul, or cut his planned longer 2nd stop in Shanghai down to under 48 hours in order to do a VFT on the westbound return, which would likely require a date change on is return ticket to FRA--whether fees play into that or not, I have no idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.