Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing / PEK Hotels - suggestions: Discussion from 2009 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Did you try any corporate codes?
Nope. Just tried best available rates. Are there any good ones that I should try? It just seemed very expensive that's all.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: Skyteam
210.00 US for a real 5 star hotel is not that much. What were you looking for?

We stay at the Best Western in Shenzhen, a 4 star, on a regular basis for 600 to 700 rmb, about US 120.00 and though it is okay it is no where near a 4 star hotel. Husband is a member so we get Executive Level and it is not that great.

Shangri-la is great and usually starts around 1400 rmb for the smallest room and I do mean small.

China is not that cheap unless you want to experience the Chinese way of travel. My husband, 5'10" has slept on beds his feet fall off the end and these are considered Chinese 5 star hotels.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by Nola Rice

We stay at the Best Western in Shenzhen, a 4 star, on a regular basis for 600 to 700 rmb, about US 120.00 and though it is okay it is no where near a 4 star hotel. Husband is a member so we get Executive Level and it is not that great.

Shangri-la is great and usually starts around 1400 rmb for the smallest room and I do mean small.

China is not that cheap unless you want to experience the Chinese way of travel. My husband, 5'10" has slept on beds his feet fall off the end and these are considered Chinese 5 star hotels.
Not necessarily. One can get very reasonable room rates at intl chains in the Tier 2 and tier 3 cities (depends on which one)
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: Skyteam
reasonable rates and reasonable expectations can be very different.

For 700 rbm I do not expect more than clean and perhaps edible food. I have been disappointed many times. For much more money.

I think people throw around the terms 4 and 5 star establishments too freely, very few hotels and restaurants actually have this recognition, and the ones that "everyone" uses, well they are just not up to par. Chinese hotels in particular use this designation very liberally and very loosely.

I am only pointing out that people not used to the Chinese hotels may find them very different in the cost than what is paid for in other countries.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:25 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
[QUOTE=Nola Rice;15002522]
China is not that cheap unless you want to experience the Chinese way of travel./QUOTE]

If you spend some time looking for a deal, I think China is still cheap compared to US. When the rmb was 8.2 and before inflation...I would have considered China "real cheap".
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum

How strange. I am also 5'10" and must have slept in more than one hundred Chinese 3-5* hotels and I have never found the bed too short

1st tier Chinese city accommodation is not cheap at the 5* level. You have to get out to the 2nd-3rd tier cities to get really cheap deals, particularly if you have a local contact who has a bulk booking deal with them.

nickyboy
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As with all things, cheap and expensive are relative terms.

In the US, you can typically find a decent (clean but no frills) Hampton or Holiday Inn Express for (of course depending on location) $70-90/night a bit outside of larger cities. Larger cities, you have the scour the suburbs of course.

In China, it's about 20% cheaper or so, so if you want the IC chain (no Hampton's here) or Marriot/SPG chains the cheaper hotels are around $50-75. But that is going international chain and earning points.

You can find simple Chinese hotels (no points) that have slightly lower cleanliness and quality standards (but still clean and safe) for a lot cheaper, so maybe $20-40 USD/night. These hotels almost always have rooms available and often include breakfast.

No Chinese don't celebrate Christmas, many companies don't even have the day off.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
- No, there is no religious christmas in China, but the commercial christmas is definitely and obviously existant; hence are Christmas trees, dinners, brunches, parties and everything else - meaning hotels are expensive due to Chinese heading for some Christmas action; not to mention those expats not having the chance to return home-home at this time of the year: Christmas season is not off-season for hotels in China.

- 1400 CNY/night is a bit above average, and I doubt it will come down. Try F&F rate for IHG hotels.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Oct 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm Reason: No more pinpricks.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edison
Nope. Just tried best available rates. Are there any good ones that I should try? It just seemed very expensive that's all.
We don't post them on FT anymore because doing so kills them. If you send me an email (rather than PM), I'll reply to you with a handful.

Also, let me know if you're interested in the Capital Renaissance (I really, really like that hotel).
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
reasonable rates and reasonable expectations can be very different.

For 700 rbm I do not expect more than clean and perhaps edible food. I have been disappointed many times. For much more money.

I think people throw around the terms 4 and 5 star establishments too freely, very few hotels and restaurants actually have this recognition, and the ones that "everyone" uses, well they are just not up to par. Chinese hotels in particular use this designation very liberally and very loosely.

I am only pointing out that people not used to the Chinese hotels may find them very different in the cost than what is paid for in other countries.
1. Your bar is too low, and you've probably been unlucky or have chosen poorly (it happens to us all). I have stayed at Shangrilas for that price. Granted one is in HEAVY need of refurb (I'm being nice) but it was certainly clean. Food was fine. A number of Chinese chains (where I have not stayed but other posters here have) offer much cheaper rates and clean, functional rooms.

2. Very Very true.

3. Chinese hotels can be had for a bargain. Expect good to decent hardware at the more "upmarket" ones. Room should be nice, clean relatively comfy etc. Just don't expect software (ie. English speaking or problem solving abilities - or what we term as them).
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
BJ

Originally Posted by moondog
We don't post them on FT anymore because doing so kills them. If you send me an email (rather than PM), I'll reply to you with a handful.

Also, let me know if you're interested in the Capital Renaissance (I really, really like that hotel).
Any Thanksgiving day deals at the Cap/Ren ?, & is there free parking ?.

Just stayed 4 nights at the new Marriott N. E. a HNA franchise Marriott near the US embassy, A great stay, but they have corporate rates now above the JW for Thanksgiving, as business is so good in that location. Also no more free parking at this Marriott, but still free internet in the lounge...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Xmas in BJ hotel deal.

We are looking at going to Beijing close to Christmas time (22-27 December). Given that China does not celebrate Xmas, and it is freezing cold there in winter, I thought the prices of hotels there should not be too expensive .....

However, looking at a number of international 5* hotels (Hilton, SPG, IHG) they seemed to go at about 1400CNY+ per night. The prices seemed very high. Is this normal? Or I should wait until later when there is on sale, or their prices will drop as it gets closer to Christmas? I am looking at central Beijing (Wangfujiang areas and anywhere else close by).
Just booked a special at the Somerset, (serviced apts) 2 nights & 3rd night free for 600 RMB net with 1 breakfast for dec. 24-27th. 75 meter Exec. suite in Haidian. its also on C-trip. There are 2 somersets in BJ, 1 on the east side, abet dated but good location, & the other on the west side in Haidian, the newer one. Both are very near subway line # 10, ( only 1 block away )

Now i need to find my new years Eve special in Sanya...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
Price Line (name your own bid)

I'm staying in beijing from 12/13-1/5 with my girlfriend. Since I won't be in the US to celebrate xmas I decided to book a hotel room on 12/25. Because I'm in college and have no job (yet) I usually go to priceline and select the name your own price option. The only small problem is that you can't choose the exact hotel you stay at. You can select ratings and location.

I put a bid of USD $74 for 5 star hotels in the Tiananmen area and it was accepted. I got the Hilton Wangfujing, which is fairly nice as I've had to interview someone there last year. After all taxes + other fees it came to 94 bucks for the night. All in all I think it was a good price.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: Paid F
Hua Du

I always stay at the Hua Du hotel. It is an average-quality Chinese business hotel. The breakfast is really pretty good though! I paid about CNY500 on my last visit.

For a romantic stop, try Raffles Beijing. The room was spacious and comfortable, for only about $200 a night (this was in November).
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

We are looking at going to Beijing close to Christmas time (22-27 December). Given that China does not celebrate Xmas, and it is freezing cold there in winter, I thought the prices of hotels there should not be too expensive .....

However, looking at a number of international 5* hotels (Hilton, SPG, IHG) they seemed to go at about 1400CNY+ per night. The prices seemed very high. Is this normal? Or I should wait until later when there is on sale, or their prices will drop as it gets closer to Christmas? I am looking at central Beijing (Wangfujiang areas and anywhere else close by).
The price is not high, it rather normal. Regarding Xmas, they do celebrate the commercial side of it -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.