Beijing / PEK Hotels - suggestions: Discussion from 2009 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing / PEK Hotels - suggestions: Discussion from 2009 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: ANA Plat, AA gold, SPG Gold, HH Silver
I'm a Chaoyang person myself as well, but overall the Hyatt just doesn't impress me. Maybe the taxis is a bit exaggerated :P I believe they're mostly hyundai these days in beijing. Not that you still can't see the santanas and citroens. But the price is (a little bit, not a lot but a little) justified for the hotel limo transfer. If one wishes to save a little bit compared to some hotel prices, but still not use taxis, you can usually get an airport transfer in an Audi A6 for like 300-400 yuan, depending on who you use. Personally, I speak Chinese and a taxi isn't a problem for me, but others for whatever reason they have sometimes prefer to use other services.

Duck = too much to discuss about I agree, but a safe beginning is quanjude, and not too much price gouging compared to 5-star hotel duck.

I'm not saying wangfujing isn't an attraction, I was saying that you're not having to "go venture to see it" when all of these hotels are in wangfujing in the first place. But personally, there's not much to see in wangfujing anyways other than lots of locals window-shopping. You really come to china to see locals oggle expensive swiss watches and taken to a "tea shop" (scam) for a 900 yuan tea service? I guess its all part of the experience.....

Also, movie theatre??? really?? Like there is a lack of 5-kuai DVD's in beijing? What tourist comes to China to go see an English movie at the theatre? Most showings are in Chinese anyways, only a few in english. Why not take that same money for the family of 4 (2 kids, mom and dad) to let the kids buy like 25 PS3/xbox games, and complete TV series, plus movies. That sounds more impressive for a kid to go buy every game imaginable and for dad w/o having to spend 50 dollars per game like they would have to in the US. There's only a shop on practically every corner in the city.

If a mostly-dubbed into chinese movie theatre and a DQ (what's wrong with the sugar coated fruit on a stick that can be found, its a local treat and helps cure the sweet tooth) is the selling points on why you should use the hyatt over the other two options, I'll pass thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the Hilton over Grand Hyatt due to the size of the room. A king deluxe in Hilton can accomodate 3 adults and is 50 (sqm/sqf?) in size vs 33 (sqm/sqf) for the Hyatt. My children are 9 and 4yo - surely we can fit in a bed that can fit 3 adults?

How much farther is the Hilton vs. the Grand Hyatt in relation to the Forbidden City? From what I understand both hotels are walking distance to each other?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:43 am

in terms of room-size for money, the hilton is the best bet. the standard room at the hyatt and the pen is smaller, noticably so. You could be able to get a double bed, and squeeze in a cot, without too much difficulty at the hilton.

All three hotels are within about 5 minutes walking distance of each other.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zizzerzazzerzuzz
Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the Hilton over Grand Hyatt due to the size of the room. A king deluxe in Hilton can accomodate 3 adults and is 50 (sqm/sqf?) in size vs 33 (sqm/sqf) for the Hyatt. My children are 9 and 4yo - surely we can fit in a bed that can fit 3 adults?
Like someone else mentioned up thread, there are (~160 sq m) serviced apartments in Oriental Plaza (e.g. same amenities as GH) that are well suited for families and don't cost more than a standard hotel room. To get a nice rate, I recommend contacting the property management company directly.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by bossCJ
All three hotels are within about 5 minutes walking distance of each other.
Maybe for Usain Bolt. I think your sense of time/distance/location of these hotels is distorted. I walk at a New York pace, and it would take me nearly 15 minutes to walk from the Hyatt to either the Pen or the Hilton. (Uh, it's not only a longer distance than you are remembering, but the fact you have to cross vehicular streets and wait for traffic.) Hilton to Pen maybe under 10. A 4-yr old won't be walking at my pace. The Hilton is actually closer to the north (back) entrance to Forbidden City than to Tiananmen by about half. The Hyatt is closer to the FC front entrance and Tiananmen. The Pen is a toss-up either direction. The Hyatt has the fastest and safest access into the subway system. The Pen next and the Hilton least convenient to closest stop.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by bossCJ
Like there is a lack of 5-kuai DVD's in beijing?
WHERE????? If you know a place that sells quality dvds for 5 kuai, I need to hear about it. The best I could do was 6 or 7 and this was back in late 2006 when I started living in Beijing (for ~2 years), but now I can't get anything under 9 (if I'm lucky) or 10 (Beijing, Shanghai or Shenzhen).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
WHERE????? If you know a place that sells quality dvds for 5 kuai, I need to hear about it.
5 is the standard price for the bicycle guys. Quality is not consistently good, of course, but if you frequent the same vendor, it's possible to hone in on the good stuff (i.e. they will eventually get sick of taking returns and start to point you in the right direction).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
The Hilton is actually closer to the north (back) entrance to Forbidden City than to Tiananmen by about half. The Hyatt is closer to the FC front entrance and Tiananmen. The Pen is a toss-up either direction. The Hyatt has the fastest and safest access into the subway system. The Pen next and the Hilton least convenient to closest stop.
The Hilton, which just west of the Peninsula and very close to it, is still far closer to the Forbidden City's main Wu Men south entrance, reached by walking straight west along Jinyu Hutong, Dong'an Men, and Dong Hua Men to the Dong Hua Men itself and then turning south and west again around the moat, than it is to the Shenwu Men north entrance. Both are also a little closer to Tian'an Men than the Shenwu Men; the Hilton, being on the south side of the block it occupies as well as further west, further from being a toss-up than the Peninsula is.

Peter N-H
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_N-H
The Hilton, which just west of the Peninsula and very close to it, is still far closer to the Forbidden City's main Wu Men south entrance, reached by walking straight west along Jinyu Hutong, Dong'an Men, and Dong Hua Men to the Dong Hua Men itself and then turning south and west again around the moat, than it is to the Shenwu Men north entrance. Both are also a little closer to Tian'an Men than the Shenwu Men; the Hilton, being on the south side of the block it occupies as well as further west, further from being a toss-up than the Peninsula is.

Peter N-H
I was surprised to learn that you are right about Wumen (though I'd personally refrain from using the "far" modifier), but the fact of the matter is that most people like to pass through Tiananmen, in which case the Pen is almost twice as far:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.055189&z=14
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:58 pm

Peter N-H
I had a brain fart and now realize I was thinking of a different hotel than the Hilton, further north up Wangfujing which is closer to north gate. As to closest entrance to FC, are you referring to the eastern approach by the moat--the "side entrance" near where the Courtyard restaurant is? The entrance where you can park bicycles? If so, that is indeed a convenient way, though you miss the full grand tourist experience of walking via T'men and under Mao's portrait. The only problem I've had in the past trying to direct people from WFJ area to this entry, is that they get lost and end up going all the way down to Chang'An and T'men anyway. (I know, how is it possible to get lost...? ) So I gave up acknowledging it's existence. And haven't been through there in about 3 years so didn't know if it was still viable/open.

However, to put things in perspective, the OP will likely make only one visit to the FC, so it probably shouldn't be the primary driver of his hotel choice.

Last edited by jiejie; Sep 2, 2009 at 9:17 pm
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:12 am

As to closest entrance to FC, are you referring to the eastern approach by the moat--the "side entrance" near where the Courtyard restaurant is?
There are only two entrances to the FC open to the public, and I'm referring to the Wu Men, which was (and is) the palace's main entrance. From Jinyu Hutong travelling straight west indeed past The Courtyard you cross the moat and immediately reach the Dong Hua Men, which remains closed, then the road simply turns south and then west round the corner watch tower to arrive at the Wu Men from the east side. There's nothing to shut on this route really, and it's open to cars as well as foot traffic.

If so, that is indeed a convenient way, though you miss the full grand tourist experience of walking via T'men and under Mao's portrait.
I'd have to argue that the grandeur's long gone. The Tian'an Men's importance is really only brought about by the 1959 destruction of the Thousand Steps Passage and subsequent pulling down of the Da Qing Men (later Xin Hua Men) that once stood where the Mao Mausoleum now is. The route north from there to reach the Forbidden City is crowded and tawdry with assorted sideshows and pestering postcard sellers. Entering either through the peaceful Tai Miao just east whose central hall is only beaten by the Hall of Supreme Harmony in scale (and the Hall of Jupiter at the Temple of Agriculture, if you want to be precise), or through the leafy Zhongshan Gongyuan just to the west (and pause to hear the amateur choirs singing rousing revolutionary hits) is much better. Both have exits that bring you out at the Wu Men without the hassles of the main route.

Arguably entering first thing from the north through the Shenwu Men is the best choice, as until, heading south, you meet the crowds coming up from the main gate, you have the place practically to yourself.

However, to put things in perspective, the OP will likely make only one visit to the FC, so it probably shouldn't be the primary driver of his hotel choice.
Absolutely agree. None of the three hotels mentioned would be my first choice, even taking the children into account (although I like all three).

Peter N-H
China
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:03 am

There are only two entrances to the FC open to the public, and I'm referring to the Wu Men......<snip>

I'd have to argue that the grandeur's long gone....<snip> .

Arguably entering first thing from the north through the Shenwu Men is the best choice, as until, heading south, you meet the crowds coming up from the main gate, you have the place practically to yourself.

Peter N-H
China
Yep, we're talking about the same place. And yes, the "side entrance" is not to the FC proper, but to the forecourt immediately in front of the Wumen entrance--for visitors reading this--the place where you buy FC tickets and audio guides. For people coming from mid- and upper-WFJ, it's a little closer walking than down to T'men and Mao. Excellent if you using bicycle to get around. And a good shortcut from WFJ to get to Zhongshan Park on the other side--useful if you are heading for Forbidden City Concert Hall performance.

Departed Grandeur: Heh-heh, quite so.

North Entrance: My personal favorite. Especially since I'm a fan of the back half of the FC more so than the front half/ grand halls.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:15 am

Departed Grandeur: Heh-heh, quite so.
In spite of the fact that I have very little patience for, or interest in, grandeur,... let alone tradition, I'm still hung up on the idea that any visit to 故宫 should entail a pass through Tiananmen.

But, one sign that I'm coming around is that, prior to Boss's latest post to this thread, I would have insisted on a northbound journey, but upon a bit of reflection, I must admit that his idea is kind of neat.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:21 am

Years ago, on my first trip to Beijing, that's how we were taken to see the sights, it just makes it a lot easier traffic and flow wise, and the sight of walking through the Tiananmen gate into the square is a cool visual to experience.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Beijing Hotel & Guide Question

Hi everybody,

I will be in Beijing for the first time for one week in March 10. Is there any Hotel you would highly recommend?

From what I found out so far the Courtyard by Marriot is very convienently located. Did anybody stay there recently?

We are looking for a private guide to show us around for 2 or 3 days. Any recommendations on that?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.