Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Chinese visa discussion

Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The information in this thread is obsolete. Please consider this thread a historic archive of past issues and discussion regarding China visas, as it is now closed to further posting.

Recent posts have been moved to the relevant and currently active "sticky" thread, China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know).

Thank you,

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Print Wikipost

Chinese visa discussion

Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
update - my buddy's credit card provides travel insurance.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Nobody will reject your visa application for filling in "N/A" on the insurance question; I have first-hand experience with this and nobody mentioned it at all.

I'm less risk-averse than most and would trust a Chinese clinic to (very inexpensively) handle most minor problems (flu, broken bones, and so on). In the event of a true emergency, I'd want the closest hospital/doctor anyway. If I needed a major procedure that could be postponed for a bit, I'd head down to HK, and let AMEX sort it out later (supposedly, they cover $100k + evacuation if you submit receipts after the fact, but it's not proper health insurance).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
The forms in the last 1.5 years+ that I've come across have the health insurance question. We had it, so it wasn't an issue, but I don't think they check or care. Our travel health insurance is provided by Amex plat card, and I just put the card number down. No way, from that info, that they could verify whether we have it or not, so I think it's just a tickbox.

One possibility is to purchase health insurance, and then cancel within the cancellation period of the policy. The friend won't be covered, but would not strictly be lying when filling out the form.

tb
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scifience
Nobody will reject your visa application for filling in "N/A" on the insurance question; I have first-hand experience with this and nobody mentioned it at all.

I'm less risk-averse than most and would trust a Chinese clinic to (very inexpensively) handle most minor problems (flu, broken bones, and so on). In the event of a true emergency, I'd want the closest hospital/doctor anyway. If I needed a major procedure that could be postponed for a bit, I'd head down to HK, and let AMEX sort it out later (supposedly, they cover $100k + evacuation if you submit receipts after the fact, but it's not proper health insurance).
Yup. We answered no, we got 2year/60 day/multiple entry visas anyway. (She's China-born.)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:58 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Begs the question. Why add 2.7 to the visa application regarding
medical insurance?

Maybe China's extension of social security coverage to foreign workers.

Beijing reimburses first foreigner for medical expenses

A foreign worker in Beijing has recently enjoyed medical expenses reimbursement and become the first one in the city to be reimbursed under China's social security system since the country extended social security coverage to foreign workers on Oct. 15, 2011.

http://english.people.com.cn/90882/7746124.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.