Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Money in Mainland China

Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I have some hong kong money left over from a prior trip. Where are the best places to exchange it? I am not visiting hong kong this trip with the exception of connecting through HKG on the way to PVG.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Red259
I have some hong kong money left over from a prior trip. Where are the best places to exchange it? I am not visiting hong kong this trip with the exception of connecting through HKG on the way to PVG.
Your hotel is the easiest option, but you will get a better FX rate if you go to a bank. IMO, the bank drill isn't worth the hassle for less than $1000.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:04 am

Only if you're staying in a big, first-class hotel that offers guests foreign exchange service. Your normal everyday Chinese hotel doesn't.

And many banks don't do cash foreign exchange. Even the Bank of China, you'll find many branches will send you off to the local main branch for foreign exchange. You'll find a place finally, but be prepared for some frustration.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:08 am

@red 889 is right. Changing money in hotels is no longer easy, and banks are miserable (i.e. worse than a root canal). But, I have an idea! I can send CNY to you via WeChat in exchange for your HKD. We can use market FX rates. Please message me privately if interested.
tentseller likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by moondog
@red 889 is right. Changing money in hotels is no longer easy, and banks are miserable (i.e. worse than a root canal). But, I have an idea! I can send CNY to you via WeChat in exchange for your HKD. We can use market FX rates. Please message me privately if interested.
​​​​While that seems like a good idea, OP needs to have WeChat Wallet (which may be difficult to activate these days without a Chinese ID) and you need to have a way to get OP's HKD. If you are meeting up with OP to receive his/her HKD, you may as well bring along some CNY.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:22 am

There is currency exchange in HKIA.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There is currency exchange in HKIA.
I have a few hours layover there. Are they reasonable or am I going to get crushed on the exchange? My first stay is a doubletree in suzhou so I'm thinking they may be likely to offer exchanges.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:10 pm

I have a few hours layover there. Are they reasonable or am I going to get crushed on the exchange? My first stay is a doubletree in suzhou so I'm thinking they may be likely to offer exchanges.
I usually get foreign currency in the city (exchange rates in the city are usually very reasonable, especially to CNY) while I am in Hong Kong. I am not aware of the exchange rate in HKIA. I would also guess large hotels would have money exchange to local currencies.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I am pretty sure you are going to get crushed. Sorry.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:24 pm

If you can enter Hong Kong, you can take the S1 bus to Citygate. I think there is Exchange Express there. That may be the closest money exchange outside the airport. I would guess you can get better rate than Travelex in the Airport or from a hotel.

Check their hours before heading there though.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
If you can enter Hong Kong, you can take the S1 bus to Citygate. I think there is Exchange Express there. That may be the closest money exchange outside the airport. I would guess you can get better rate than Travelex in the Airport or from a hotel.

Check their hours before heading there though.
Nah that's ok. I am arriving extremely early so I am doubtful places like that will be open yet and only have limited time for breakfast in the lounge etc. I'd rather pay more on the exchange and enjoy my meal than worry about leaving the airport. Thank you for the idea though.I only got $300 hong kong dollars so its not that much I guess. Just seemed like a lot more when I was looking at it with all the small bills. Maybe I will just buy something at the airport. Of course. I have way too much in Euros, which I will have to save for next year.

Last edited by Red259; May 1, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 11:24 pm

@red: Just buy something at duty free. We can discuss WeChat money separately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.