Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Old May 24, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
I also went to Da Dong on my latest trip. This was the best of all.

I hereby proclaim Da Dong the best Peking Duck restaurant in Beijing!

First off, the restaurant itself is gorgeous. There are at least two Da Dong restaurants in Beijing, and I don't know the English address, but the Chinese address as sent to me is: 大董北京烤鸭店,北京东城区东四十条甲22号南新仓国际大厦1-2楼(东四十条桥西南), Tel: 86 10 51690329. This is the one I'm recommending.

The atmosphere of this place is incredible. Just a beautiful, classy restaurant with a lot of atmosphere. We had ten people and our server had politely reserved a private room for us upstairs, but I would have preferred the main downstairs dining room as the atmosphere is much better. Unfortunately, they were fully booked so we couldn't change the table. If you go, I would definitely make a reservation in advance.

Beside duck, they had a lot of other incredible Peking-style dishes, and the best was it came with an English menu with lots of photos. In fact, nearly every dish had a photo so it was easy to know what you're ordering.

But the duck, it was fantastic! Not greasy at all, it looked gorgeous and tasted better than the other two famous Peking Duck restaurants we went to. They also provided a lot more condiments, with two types of hoisin sauce, sugar, green onions, cucumbers, and some kind of pickle, and they provided the thin flour pancakes as well as a type of hollowed bread. Delicious.

After we finished the duck, they brought a duck soup made from the carcass of the duck. Awesome!
I'll second the verdict on Da Dong! Last time I was in BJ, had Da Dong duck dinner on my last night. Exactly as written above...

Must go back! ^^
Old May 24, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dtsm
Next visit, let's go together, be my guest and let's see how the food is
OK, it's a deal! I live in Beijing (actually just a few minutes away from XW Guanghua Lu) and am mostly here over the next few months, with a few travels sprinkled about. PM me when you'll be around. Maybe I just need a professional guide to navigate me properly and unlock the secrets of the XW kitchen.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:13 am

Best place to get Peking duck in Beijing

I am going to Beijing on Nov , I was wondering where do I get good peking duck in reasonable price. I can go to fancy restaurant or local one . Moreover I heard from my friend that there is a Russia market that you need to use your bargain skills . Does anybody know what goods offered ? I will stay in Hilton Wangfujing . What is the best way to get there?

Thank you guys.

My travel blog
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:28 am

We had some good duck at Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant

The google map link below thinks that A is the restaurant and B is the Hilton

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...6&ie=UTF8&z=18

It not a far walk, the place is huge and for western standards it's not expensive at all.

The duck restaurant should not be far from your hotel at all. It is not on Wangfujing but off a side street. Its pretty easy to see as there is a big yellow duck in front
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by RockoHorse

It not a far walk, the place is huge and for western standards it's not expensive at all.

The duck restaurant should not be far from your hotel at all. It is not on Wangfujing but off a side street. Its pretty easy to see as there is a big yellow duck in front
Thanks man and what should i buy back, Is there a specific gifts to bring back? I live in U.S and see everything made in china . I want o give something to my relative.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
There's a thread (I admit, I haven't looked at it a lot, though): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...staurants.html
There are numerous other threads on food in Beijing where duck is discussed in length.

Furthermore, I am not a big Beijing duck fan. Quanjude, is a very disputed chain in China. Some strongly advise against going there, including locals "in-the-know" and hotel concierges - for mediocore quality and high prices. On the other hand some love it, they at least speak (some) English and are "well-known". My advice for a first trip to Beijing is to ask your concierge, or even eat at your hotel (when Quanjude is the alternative), if there's a Beijing duck (-style restaurant) available. (Or of course, see what fellow posters here come up with )

"Russian market" (the one near/in Sanlitun? Yabao or so?) is a fake market like any other, mostly offering clothes, bags, dvds etc. I abhor these markets, but many, many people love them. You need to bargain. Looking at your travels around SE-Asia, it's nothing much different to the tourist-fake-markets you can find there. Fun place to go, when you enjoy such things.

Enjoy your trip to Beijing!

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Sep 10, 2010 at 12:43 am
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Personally, I find the best Peking duck is not in Beijing.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: Shangri-La Golden Circle, Hilton Honors Gold, Starwood Plat, United 1P
I am one of those strange guys that actually PREFER Quanjude more than the others. I am Chinese, speak the language, and very familiar with Beijing and have eaten at all the major known and unknown duck joints.

If asked why I prefer Quanjude is because of the roasting of the skin. All the ducks have a crisp outer skin, but at Quanjude it seems to me that the underside fat on the duck skin is much more "vaporized" and I feel less like I am eating chewy duck fat.

Anyways my two cents..

P.S. My own opinion only applies to the main branch Quanjude at Qianmen facing Tiananmen.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by chumbleflea
I am one of those strange guys that actually PREFER Quanjude more than the others. I am Chinese, speak the language, and very familiar with Beijing and have eaten at all the major known and unknown duck joints.

If asked why I prefer Quanjude is because of the roasting of the skin. All the ducks have a crisp outer skin, but at Quanjude it seems to me that the underside fat on the duck skin is much more "vaporized" and I feel less like I am eating chewy duck fat.

Anyways my two cents..

P.S. My own opinion only applies to the main branch Quanjude at Qianmen facing Tiananmen.
And you're more than entitled to it. I did not find anything overly objectionable about Quanjude and am no duck conosseiur (I eat it way too infrequently) other than the fact that one feels like a commodity in going there (the whole process), the prices are high and the duck IMO isn't glorious enough to justify the price or commodity process.

OP - check out the threads linked in above posts... Names you can look up are: Da Dong, Liqun (my favorite for the food and walk around the restaurant - hutong and all), Duck De Chine, Grand Hyatt restaurant, Xiao Wang Fu (this one is particularly polarizing, I've never been).. I am sure there are another 1-2 names that I am missing here.. Next time I am in town, I have to do a multiple duck dinner run with a few friends (same night) to sample...

As for gifts, something a bit more unique (if you look) could be at Panjiayuan market, which is the "antiques" market. I still kind of like it and though I am sure there are some actual antiques there, most of it is fake/new and cheap junk, but there are some interesting ideas there, propaganda posters, old b/w photos of Beijing with or without frames etc.. Otherwise, some kitsch is available at Nanluoguoxiang at places like Plastered T-Shirts (the original designs are nice but the newer stuff...ugh) or near Houhai at Beijing Wen Fengtang on Di'anmen Wai street (google Beijing Wen feng Tang and the address pops up). Once again, not cheap, but pretty cool, at least when I went a while back.

Again, people much closer to the scene may prove me wrong/outdated and I more than welcome that.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:16 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I've lived in BJ for about 2 years and of all the restaurants that we've tried with duck, most of my relatives and friends, including myself, think Made in China has the best tasting duck.
The DaDong on east third ring is our second choice. A third lesser known one is ZunJing (??sp?) On GuangHuaLu near XiDaWangLu due to value.

Was talking to a local Beijinger friend of mine recently and she mentioned QuanJuDe as one of the better places to have duck.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:55 am

I'll put in another vote for the peking duck at Made in China (Grand Hyatt Beijing). I thought it was excellent quality and value (by international standards).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockoHorse

I like Quanjude, but I'd recommend taking a taxi, even if the OP's hotel is close by. Recently, the street in front of the restaurant (which is up a short drive from the sidewalk) has been inundated with very aggressive beggars, the most aggressive I've ever seen in Asia. The taxi drops you at the door of the restaurant, so that you don't have to deal with them.

My wife, who is Chinese, says that the Grand Hyatt has the best Peking duck. We've also eaten at Da Dong, but were both disappointed -- the restaurant is fancier and the duck is served, "fine dining style," but Quanjude easily beats the food for taste and preparation.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:58 am

thanks guys for many recommendations. I will try and report back

[URL = redacted] My travel blog[/ URL ]

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 6, 2012 at 9:45 am Reason: signature not allowed yet
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

It's all about Xiaowangfu guys.

OP: We debate this topic (in a cheerful manner) about 3 times per year. If you search for "Peking Duck" or "Beijing Duck", you'll find these gems.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I loved Da Dong, visited the branch on Jinbao Jie

Never seen so many waiters in one restaurant

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.