Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I find that most of the "Peking Duck" I have eaten in the past few years have almost no flavor-at least in the actual meat.

I don't know if it is because of the over-breeding of the Pekin ducks themselves or because the amount of salt used covers up any actual flavor.
Traditional Peking duck is unseasoned, with the exception of a thin coating of malt sugar on the skin to burnish the mahogany color upon roasting. Definitely no salt. So, if you think the duck tastes bland, you are having a proper Peking duck. The condiment tray that comes with the duck is crucial. That's why a place like Da Dong is quite meticulous with its condiment tray--it is the best, and certainly the most varied of the Peking duck restaurants that I've been to in Beijing. (Here in L.A., Wolfgang Puck also goes out of his way to ferment his own sweet bean paste to serve with his version of Peking duck.)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Throwing in my 2 cents: I think Da Dong was superior to Made in China. The duck and service were great!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Traditional Peking duck is unseasoned, with the exception of a thin coating of malt sugar on the skin to burnish the mahogany color upon roasting. Definitely no salt. So, if you think the duck tastes bland, you are having a proper Peking duck. The condiment tray that comes with the duck is crucial. That's why a place like Da Dong is quite meticulous with its condiment tray--it is the best, and certainly the most varied of the Peking duck restaurants that I've been to in Beijing. (Here in L.A., Wolfgang Puck also goes out of his way to ferment his own sweet bean paste to serve with his version of Peking duck.)
The hotel referred me to Da Dong which I recognized from this thread. I had no prior duck experience, but that was a phenomenal meal. I ordered the half duck which they prepared at my table and then when they saw I didn't really know how to properly eat the duck a waiter came to the table and taught me how. It really was an outstanding meal and even if it was a little pricey I thought it was worth every cent. Was very happy with the service and the meal left me feeling light on my feet. I highly recommend this restaurant, and while the duck is good alone the taste really comes out when you properly utilize the condiment tray.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jiejie

Anyway, to add to one more place to eat a pretty good and cheap duck: Xiangmanlou. I've been a few times to the one in the north Xindong Lu area, not far from the Kempinski, Kunlun, new Westin, Sanlitun Embassy areas. This one is across the street from the Yuyang Hotel, about 5 minutes east of the big DinTaiFung restaurant. Can't miss the lanterns across the front, and it's popular with locals and a few expats in the know. Has pretty darn good duck (about RMB 120 for a whole duck including the condiments) and also very good homestyle side dishes. Simple atmosphere but very clean. Haven't been to any of the other XML branches yet.
I'll key off a rather old post, but the only one mentioning Xiangmanlou. Had a very good duck and other meal there recently. It's located on Xinyuan Xili middle road - not sure if that's the same place, which also happens to be close to a DinTaiFung. (Doing a search it's possible it moved a couple of blocks, but is in the same area).

Very good duck - RMB 180. Not fancy, without lots of accompaniments - just pancakes, hoisin, cucumber, and scallion/green onion. But that's fine for me! Very tasty, on the drier (not oily) side, smoky flavor more prominent than others I've had.

Also good other dishes - sichuan and shandong are the claimed styles. I will say the ganbian sijidou were excellent, among the best I've had (or at least the closest to the way I like them).

Ambience was nothing special, nor decor. A bit slow getting us the duck. But otherwise an option worth considering if you're in the vicinity.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by drewguy
I'll key off a rather old post, but the only one mentioning Xiangmanlou. Had a very good duck and other meal there recently. It's located on Xinyuan Xili middle road - not sure if that's the same place, which also happens to be close to a DinTaiFung. (Doing a search it's possible it moved a couple of blocks, but is in the same area).

Very good duck - RMB 180. Not fancy, without lots of accompaniments - just pancakes, hoisin, cucumber, and scallion/green onion. But that's fine for me! Very tasty, on the drier (not oily) side, smoky flavor more prominent than others I've had.

Also good other dishes - sichuan and shandong are the claimed styles. I will say the ganbian sijidou were excellent, among the best I've had (or at least the closest to the way I like them).

Ambience was nothing special, nor decor. A bit slow getting us the duck. But otherwise an option worth considering if you're in the vicinity.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
What is the best location for Peking Duck easily accessible from JW Marriott on 83 Jian Guo Road?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by mikelat
What is the best location for Peking Duck easily accessible from JW Marriott on 83 Jian Guo Road?
It depends on what you mean by "easily accessible"?

Almost anywhere in the GuoMao/ Sanlitun etc areas are easily accessible by cab.

The Kerry hotel (1 subway stop, easy cab ride) has a decent Chinese duck by all accounts. I personally favour the duck (but not much else) at Quanjude (nearest one at Wangfujing, again on subway) or Jing Yaa Tang (Sanlitun, easy cab ride).

I can't think of anywhere I particularly fancy within a 20 minute walk.

tb
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
It depends on what you mean by "easily accessible"?

Almost anywhere in the GuoMao/ Sanlitun etc areas are easily accessible by cab.

The Kerry hotel (1 subway stop, easy cab ride) has a decent Chinese duck by all accounts. I personally favour the duck (but not much else) at Quanjude (nearest one at Wangfujing, again on subway) or Jing Yaa Tang (Sanlitun, easy cab ride).

I can't think of anywhere I particularly fancy within a 20 minute walk.

tb
Good point. I should have been more clear. I was hoping to find something within easy walking distance. My previous experiences with cabs in Beijing have been bad. I've been OK getting one from the JW, but finding one to get me back from somewhere has always taken about 20 minutes and usually saying no to 3 or 4 who will only take me at a fixed price that is about 4x what I paid to get there.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Good point. I should have been more clear. I was hoping to find something within easy walking distance. My previous experiences with cabs in Beijing have been bad. I've been OK getting one from the JW, but finding one to get me back from somewhere has always taken about 20 minutes and usually saying no to 3 or 4 who will only take me at a fixed price that is about 4x what I paid to get there.
Except for Wangfujing, which I agree is a real pain to get a cab from, the taxi touting issue is not very common in BJ, so I think you are over-anxious about the trouble you will have. Having said that, I've named a couple of options doable by subway, including Wangfujing.

I can't think of anywhere _easily_ walkable off the top of my head.

tb
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I used to live at 华贸 (7 years) ago and there was a duck house on the corner of dawang lu and guanghua lu, but I didn't mention it here because I felt it wasn't up to our standards.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:19 pm

Except for Wangfujing, which I agree is a real pain to get a cab from, the taxi touting issue is not very common in BJ, so I think you are over-anxious about the trouble you will have. Having said that, I've named a couple of options doable by subway, including Wangfujing.

tb
Thanks! I read too quickly. I'll try some of the subway reachable options.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:55 am

+1 for Siji Minfu on Dengshikou West Street

Found the duck very decent (and I've had quite a few in my life). Reasonably priced - 150ish RMB for half duck, accompaniments, their fried rice and a beer. (found the rice overly oily and a bit bland for my liking though)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:53 pm

This is an older post that I just saw, so it may no longer be topical. But, I stayed at this same JW Marriott in January 2016, and there is now a Da Dong almost immediately across the street on the 4th floor of the China Central Mall. Had a very nice meal there, and incidentally, my first authentic Peking duck.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
How is the IAPM Mall Da Dong? I loved the one in Beijing but am also open to other suggestions to duck in Shanghai.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
How is the IAPM Mall Da Dong? I loved the one in Beijing but am also open to other suggestions to duck in Shanghai.
I've heard that their Reel branch is better than IAPM, but haven't been to either. That having been said, how different could they possibly be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.