Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Just back from Beijing....

Stayed at the Marriott Executive Apartments just off Wangfujing (terrific place, especially for families) and ate at DaDong for duck (basically in the same building as the Marriott, but you do have to walk outside) and HaiDiLao for hotpot.

Liked DaDong a lot. The duck, as has been noted, wasn't that oily, and the skin was amazing - especially when dipped in the sugar. Service wasn't great (I speak some Mandarin) but it was fine, and we had no trouble getting a 6pm table on a Saturday night making reservations that same day.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. I guess I'm looking for good duck (but also relatively quick and 9 pm-ish) somewhere near the Silk Market or, even better, near the JW Marriott Chaoyang.
Due to problems at the PEK airport (long wait for entry-without-visa and lost luggage) we got into Beijing late. So we just went across the street from the JW Marriott to Da Dong (is that the "China Central Mall"?).

The family liked it: very tasty duck and a very pleasant dining experience. Out of curiosity, does their duck vary from location to location? And are the prices the same? The duck seemed a bit expensive to me (more than US$40 a duck, plus a couple bucks for each set-up), but the total price wasn't that much because we weren't that hungry (we were served a late lunch on the plane). Are there "better value" duck restaurants, where the quality is comparable, but the price is lower?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Due to problems at the PEK airport (long wait for entry-without-visa and lost luggage) we got into Beijing late. So we just went across the street from the JW Marriott to Da Dong (is that the "China Central Mall"?).

The family liked it: very tasty duck and a very pleasant dining experience. Out of curiosity, does their duck vary from location to location? And are the prices the same? The duck seemed a bit expensive to me (more than US$40 a duck, plus a couple bucks for each set-up), but the total price wasn't that much because we weren't that hungry (we were served a late lunch on the plane). Are there "better value" duck restaurants, where the quality is comparable, but the price is lower?
I want to say that our duck at DaDong (Wangfujing) was 268RMB, so the $40 sounds about right.

We also had a long wait for the TWOV at PEK - only one person working the line for most of the time we were there, plus a group ahead of us who had issues which necessitated the agent spending lots of time with them, on the phone, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:28 pm

DaDong is high end and not cheap. One good value place that I like the The Private Kitchen but it is not in that area.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by socalterp
I want to say that our duck at DaDong (Wangfujing) was 268RMB, so the $40 sounds about right.

We also had a long wait for the TWOV at PEK - only one person working the line for most of the time we were there, plus a group ahead of us who had issues which necessitated the agent spending lots of time with them, on the phone, etc.
Originally Posted by JPDM
DaDong is high end and not cheap. One good value place that I like the The Private Kitchen but it is not in that area.
DaDong offered a very nice environment (and the service was good) at the China Central Mall, but I felt I was paying for the fancy digs. If I had a party of 4 who was focused on eating duck and didn't care about an elegant setting, I think I'd try to find a more "value-oriented" duck house the next time.

The TWOV line at PEK is definitely not a line you want to wait on because it is understaffed and the process of validation (as you mention) is cumbersome and time-consuming. It's kind of hard to justify the money and hassle of getting a visa when you don't really need it, but I do hope I have the need for a regular visa (now good for 10 years) by the next time I visit to avoid that line!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:59 am

Can someone provide a specific address for Siji Minfu which was recommended in this thread earlier to me? Various mapping sites have it in three different locations all in the same general area. Thank you
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Can someone provide a specific address for Siji Minfu which was recommended in this thread earlier to me? Various mapping sites have it in three different locations all in the same general area. Thank you
http://www.sjmfky.com/contact.asp

Also on their website, they have a QR code for their Weixin service account. The welcome page lists all of their stores; click through for maps and addresses.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
If you want the specific branch mentioned earlier (on Dengshikou Xijie), it is the one at the top of the web-page linked above by moondog.

For a map of this location (assuming you are outside China .... )
(1) go to maps.google.com
(2) put this text in the search bar: 北京市东城区灯市口西街32号
(or use coordinates: 39.918525,116.408983)
(3) press search
(4) zoom the map a couple of times

Where it says "SjiMinfu" is about the correct location.

(5) take a screen shot - as if you don't have a working VPN Google maps might not work for you once in Beijing.

Caveat: location verified from Baidu street view - so in fact only valid for as long as it takes to knock down a building - which in China is not very long...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz

For a map of this location (assuming you are outside China .... )
(1) go to maps.google.com
(2) put this text in the search bar: 北京市东城区灯市口西街32号
(or use coordinates: 39.918525,116.408983)
Both maps.google.cn and map.baidu.com work fine without VPN.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:25 am

Excellent. Thanks all. I was unaware of multiple locations which mostly explains my confusion.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:50 am

Well I had dinner at Siji Minfu and it was EXCELLENT. Best duck I've ever had in my life. Also tried a variety of other things.

Just lifting the menu adds muscles and it's in English and Chinese so no worries. I went with my guide but you can point to what you want with no issues.

Just make sure you get a "printout" to hold your place (think deli counter number). You'll have to find someone who speaks Chinese to tell you what number is being announced over the loud speaker.

We were also told if you got a number, walked around and came back after your number was called, you'd be given the first available table, so no worries.

Again, I can't tell you how great the duck was with condiments.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: various
Well I had dinner at Siji Minfu and it was EXCELLENT. Best duck I've ever had in my life. Also tried a variety of other things.
^ Glad you enjoyed it. Siji Minfu is a tasty and well-priced alternative to some of the more high-falutin' and more famous duckeries in Beijing.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
^ Glad you enjoyed it. Siji Minfu is a tasty and well-priced alternative to some of the more high-falutin' and more famous duckeries in Beijing.
I have you to thank for it and appreciate the recommendation.

I actually hired the guide to take me on a tour of the snack markets in the neighborhood but after someone staffing the Hilton lounge said don't eat there and my guide said no way I'm letting you put that in your body, I said OK, we're going to Siji Minfu now!
Old May 5, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: various
I have you to thank for it and appreciate the recommendation.

I actually hired the guide to take me on a tour of the snack markets in the neighborhood but after someone staffing the Hilton lounge said don't eat there and my guide said no way I'm letting you put that in your body, I said OK, we're going to Siji Minfu now!
Good for them. Most of those snack markets in that general neighborhood (including the ones off of Wangfujing) are pretty dodgy. I'm sure at least half of them use "gutter oil" (look it up) and rat disguised as pork.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by jiejie
I just returned early last week from my Asian travels, w/10h layover in PEK. I went to a branch of this restaurant located somewhere near the East Entrance side of the Forbidden City Complex. Or that's what my contact/ guide in PEK told me. We took the put-put motor/taxis ^ from Tianamen Sq. that evening for dinner.

I must agree, having never tried the PEK versions of this dinner, I was blown away. Most delicious, fatty (just the way i like it), and great selection on condiments, and side dishes. I ordered a Yangjing Beer with dinner, it felt like room temperature. LOL~~

Can't wait to go back for a more detailed meal, with more than 2 guests to sample more items on the menu. That, and I was racing to catch the last Airport Express train departing Dongzimen Station at 22:30.

PS: I swear I saw John Chen CEO of Blackberry at the restaurant. If I was not in a hurry, I would have walked over, and asked, "Why is my Blackberry still not working in China?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.