Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 7, 12, 3:04 pm   #166
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 16
Beijing Peking Duck

I'm going to Beijing next week, where can I get the best Roasted Duck?
Rickinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 12, 4:37 pm   #167
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 629
Top 10

While strolling down the streets of Beijing, you will find many Peking roast duck restaurants. Which one is the best place to savor this mouth-watering delicacy? Here, China.org.cn has picked the top 10 most popular Peking duck restaurants in Beijing.
glob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 12, 5:34 pm   #168
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 16
Sweet! Thanks
Rickinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 12, 6:09 pm   #169
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Posts: 4,789
Should you be rerouted to IAD or DCA for any reason on your way to Beijing, I recommend the Peking Duck at http://www.pekinggourmet.com/ at 6029 Leesburg Pike, Baileys Crossroads, VA 22041 . . . phone: 703.671.8088 reservations recommended unless you would like a long wait in a very small, crowded, waiting area.
__________________
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
--Leslie Nielsen
youreadyfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 12, 6:27 pm   #170
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hoboken, NJ; Pembroke Pines, FL
Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,762
Quanjude was amazing!
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 12, 7:59 pm   #171
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Des Moines
Programs: UA GS, all the major Airline, Hotel and Car Programs
Posts: 1,589
I like Da Dong--the new branch
mikel51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 6:59 am   #172
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beijing
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinsanity View Post
I'm going to Beijing next week, where can I get the best Roasted Duck?
If budget is not a problem, Quan Ju De(全聚德) or Da Dong(大董) is the right place for you. They are good but I don't think they have the best value.
It should cost you at least $100 for a meal for 2 people ( one duck and some other foods).

Li Qun (利群)is also well known in foreigner here, and much cheaper.

In this cold weather, I suggest you also try Shuan Yang Rou ( instant boiled mutton in hotpot 涮羊肉), which I personally believe is the best of Beijing local food. But don't go to a random small restaurant, just ask your local contact.
jacky7304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 10:55 am   #173
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DCA / WAS
Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Posts: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky7304 View Post
If budget is not a problem, Quan Ju De(全聚德) or Da Dong(大董) is the right place for you. They are good but I don't think they have the best value.
It should cost you at least $100 for a meal for 2 people ( one duck and some other foods).

Li Qun (利群)is also well known in foreigner here, and much cheaper.

In this cold weather, I suggest you also try Shuan Yang Rou ( instant boiled mutton in hotpot 涮羊肉), which I personally believe is the best of Beijing local food. But don't go to a random small restaurant, just ask your local contact.
I have mixed feelings about Li Qun. Yes, it's "local" (in a hutong), but our experience there was not as good as some other places. Even the duck at our hotel had crispier skin. A friend of mine loves Li Qun, and I'll agree that the experience is very much "local" food & atmosphere, though I think the food itself is overrated.
Global_Hi_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 10:59 am   #174
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, DL Silver, Carlson Silver, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 17,920
Travel Technology? Does Peking duck mean something different than I think?
__________________
You believe that you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you. Obviously you are mistaken.
Jaimito Cartero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 11:26 am   #175
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 23,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Travel Technology? Does Peking duck mean something different than I think?
Agreed there is a better home for the thread. Thus it has been moved on to the China forum.

Carol
Community Director
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 11:40 am   #176
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 5,482
Please refer to this thread:
The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Start at the end and work back a few pages.
jiejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 10:53 pm   #177
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 41,310
And now Da Duck threads are merged.

I still harbour fond memories of the duck at Xiang Man Lou.
__________________
"We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment." - Hilaire Belloc
JDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 10:59 pm   #178
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 5,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
And now Da Duck threads are merged.

I still harbour fond memories of the duck at Xiang Man Lou.
Xiang Man Lou is one of my go-to places for good duck and great homestyle side dishes, all at great prices for a pauper like myself. But best to make a reservation or you'll be waiting a long time, and they only take reservations for 18:00 to 18:30 seating, so plan an earlier dinner. You can order half-ducks here if you're a party of one or two.

Note to the uninitiated: at all duck restaurants, if you want a duck, you need to reserve in advance the number of ducks you want, and when you want it served. The chefs will start the roasting of your duck(s) accordingly, well before you arrive at the restaurant, as it takes awhile. You normally do not go to the restaurant and get seated, then order your duck.
jiejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 11:12 pm   #179
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PEK and BOS
Programs: BA - Blue
Posts: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Xiang Man Lou is one of my go-to places for good duck and great homestyle side dishes, all at great prices for a pauper like myself. But best to make a reservation or you'll be waiting a long time, and they only take reservations for 18:00 to 18:30 seating, so plan an earlier dinner. You can order half-ducks here if you're a party of one or two.

Note to the uninitiated: at all duck restaurants, if you want a duck, you need to reserve in advance the number of ducks you want, and when you want it served. The chefs will start the roasting of your duck(s) accordingly, well before you arrive at the restaurant, as it takes awhile. You normally do not go to the restaurant and get seated, then order your duck.
Good general advice, but I've found that at Quanjude and Da Dong, they roast so many ducks, that there is not usually a significant delay. Whereas at Made in China, for example, no reserved duck can mean one can't order it at all.

tb
trueblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 1:01 pm   #180
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, DL, US/AA
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
And now Da Duck threads are merged.
I prefer to call it the Quan Ju Duck thread.
drewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:33 am.