Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jiejie
Officially, Houston no longer offers Emergency/1-day service, probably the policy preference of the current Consul. Best possible is now 2-3 day Rush processing. With or without a visa agent. The thing is, Houston has one of the lightest loads for visa processing of any location in the USA, so their Standard processing is only 4 days.

Having said that, I've noted that on each of the many times I've applied there (using a visa agent and always Standard processing) that my package gets to the agent by FedEx on day 0, agent submits application on Day 1, the visa is issued on Day 2 or 3, agent picks up and sends back to me on Day 3 or 4, and I have back in my hands (2-day return) no later than Day 6.

So it may be that Houston just doesn't want to promise a same- or next-day turnaround even though they are capable operationally of doing it. On a more general note, for nearly 99% of China visa applicants in the USA, a little bit of advance planning should render moot, the need for anything under than Standard processing. Particularly now that 10 year visas are available in L, M, and Q varieties (the 3 most often used categories for frequent or infrequent visitors not requiring special paperwork)--there's no need to try to time an application so precisely before a departure to China.
Went last week to drop my application at houston embassy and no rush or expedited services. In the visa requsting section, i marked "OTHERS - multiple entry valid for 10 yrs". Not sure if that was right. Also submitted a aa ticket which was on hold. I hope that's ok.

Q; I have a pickup for tuesday but can anyone pickup my passport if they have the pickup slip.

Last edited by fnuhenry; Apr 24, 2016 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fnuhenry
Went last week to drop my application at houston embassy and no rush or expedited services. In the visa requsting section, i marked "OTHERS - multiple entry valid for 10 yrs". Not sure if that was right. Also submitted a aa ticket which was on hold. I hope that's ok.

Q; I have a pickup for tuesday but can anyone pickup my passport if they have the pickup slip.
Anyone can pick up your passport as long as they have the pickup slip and pay the fee.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:06 am

USA - Q2 visa problems?

I had a tour agency apply for a China visa for me and they got me a 10 year Q2 visa. I technically do not have close family in China - I suspect they went for Q2 to get their client the longest possible stay in the country. Obviously if I had known they would do it this way, I would have specifically told them to get me an L type tourist visa. That said, my question is - should I be concerned about traveling on this Q2 family visa? Will immigration/border officials ask a lot of questions? I had a friend write me the invitation letter, but the agency told me to just say they are my cousin. I really don't want to have to go through the trouble and expense of re-applying for an L type visa when I already have a visa on such a harmless technicality.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:19 am
qpr

I never had any problems at the immigration with my Q2 visa.
Nobody asked me ever for any evidence or asked any single question.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraveler716
I had a tour agency apply for a China visa for me and they got me a 10 year Q2 visa. I technically do not have close family in China - I suspect they went for Q2 to get their client the longest possible stay in the country. Obviously if I had known they would do it this way, I would have specifically told them to get me an L type tourist visa. That said, my question is - should I be concerned about traveling on this Q2 family visa? Will immigration/border officials ask a lot of questions? I had a friend write me the invitation letter, but the agency told me to just say they are my cousin. I really don't want to have to go through the trouble and expense of re-applying for an L type visa when I already have a visa on such a harmless technicality.
It sounds pretty shady that a tour agency would falsify a visa application especially when you can get a 10 year L visa as well. It really depends on the official, they may ask which relative you are visiting and where they live. If you stumble in your questioning, they may ask more in-depth questions. Worse case scenario is they won't let you enter the country. Okay, they could arrest you under suspicion that you're doing something illegal but that's unlikely.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
It sounds pretty shady that a tour agency would falsify a visa application especially when you can get a 10 year L visa as well. It really depends on the official, they may ask which relative you are visiting and where they live. If you stumble in your questioning, they may ask more in-depth questions. Worse case scenario is they won't let you enter the country. Okay, they could arrest you under suspicion that you're doing something illegal but that's unlikely.
Yeah, fortunately my 'cousin' and I are close and I have an address and contact I can provide to the officials. Have you often encountered border officials who ask a lot of questions? Most people I have asked seem to not.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: various
Yeah, fortunately my 'cousin' and I are close and I have an address and contact I can provide to the officials. Have you often encountered border officials who ask a lot of questions? Most people I have asked seem to not.
Stop worrying. The agency did you a favor, since the duration of stay terms for a Q are better than for an L even if the 10 years is the same. Your Q is fine for sightseeing or even minor business-oriented things. Short-term informal study courses from private agencies, can do that, too. The only thing I would caution you against doing is working.

Assuming you are ethnic Chinese/part-Chinese, the border officials aren't going to raise an eyebrow at all, they'll just stamp you in, likely without questions.

Oh for goodness' sake, you don't seem to have any clue what you're talking about or any familiarity with China and immigration officials.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stop worrying. The agency did you a favor, since the duration of stay terms for a Q are better than for an L even if the 10 years is the same. Your Q is fine for sightseeing or even minor business-oriented things. Short-term informal study courses from private agencies, can do that, too. The only thing I would caution you against doing is working.

Assuming you are ethnic Chinese/part-Chinese, the border officials aren't going to raise an eyebrow at all, they'll just stamp you in, likely without questions.
Yeah, we are a Chinese/American couple. These days immigration is normally nothing more than a Nihao and handing over our paperwork. The only conversation longer than 30 seconds was the day she tripped the nuke alarm in PVG--and even that wasn't a big deal. (And as far as I'm concerned too casually handled. They simply accepted her statement of why without the card from the lab {in the pocket of the jacket she didn't wear} and with no effort to identify that it was her and not something she was carrying that was hot. She then proceeded to trip a second nuke alarm and nobody showed up, we eventually simply went on.)
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:03 am

I have traveled through North America, Asia, and Europe over 20 years and have dealt with various immigration officials in a multitude of countries. For the most part, they will ask the simple questions such as what is your destination, the reason for your visit, how long you are staying, and etc. But as I noted earlier, it depends on the officer. I remember a Canadian immigration officer asking where my in-laws lived when I told them the purpose of my trip was visiting family. When I visited Vietnam, the immigration officer got upset at me for only speaking English even though I was born in Vietnam and having a Vietnamese exempt visa. Most likely because I refused to slip any money in my passport. And there are times when the officer doesn't even ask me a single question. No you don't need to worry, but it's always best to be prepare.

Oh for goodness' sake, you don't seem to have any clue what you're talking about or any familiarity with China and immigration officials.
You seem to be quite the rude one. Just because you may not have experience a situation doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
You seem to be quite the rude one. Just because you may not have experience a situation doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
vh_bu98:
Let's chill this out over a Durian smoothie?

jiejie moondog and a few others are quite a regular and IMHO quite experience in travelling to from within China and SE Asia in general as white Americans.

Their experience will differ from yours and mine as we will never look white enough.

I had US CBP agents ask me the exact address of relatives who I am visiting at the border when I go to the US.
I have many legal channels to enter China with all the passports that I hold and am legally entitled to but I choose to use my Canadian passport with China visa. I always get the questioning game in PTH when they notice my birthplace as Hong Kong in my Canadian passport.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
vh_bu98:
Let's chill this out over a Durian smoothie?

jiejie moondog and a few others are quite a regular and IMHO quite experience in travelling to from within China and SE Asia in general as white Americans.

Their experience will differ from yours and mine as we will never look white enough.

I had US CBP agents ask me the exact address of relatives who I am visiting at the border when I go to the US.
I have many legal channels to enter China with all the passports that I hold and am legally entitled to but I choose to use my Canadian passport with China visa. I always get the questioning game in PTH when they notice my birthplace as Hong Kong in my Canadian passport.
I prefer jackfruit smoothie over durian. LOL

Immigration officers are people, which means there are good ones and bad ones and sometimes they are just having a bad day. I never had issues crossing the US/Canadian border, but my ex-wife got grilled by US CBP when she visited me before we got married and she is a Caucasian with Canadian citizenship.

I agree with you that Asians are treated differently in SE Asia if they hold a western passport. My brother, who travels with a EU passport, had issues with Vietnamese Immigration officers on his last trip. I am part Chinese, so SE Asian people perceive me as being from Hong Kong or Taiwan and treat me accordingly. Chinese people would always speak Mandarin or Cantonese to me and then look confuse when I reply in English. Vietnamese people would try to rip me off because they don't think I know Vietnamese.

My girlfriend is from Chengdu and she says that one thing she really hates is how Chinese people bend over backwards for "white" foreigners, but treat other Chinese or Asians poorly. Carry a passport from one of the African countries and Chinese Immigration will scrutinize you even more.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fnuhenry

got my visa . Specifically mentioned 10 yrs and got 10 yrs. another lady mentioned 2 yrs and she got 10 yrs too.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I prefer jackfruit smoothie over durian. LOL

Immigration officers are people, which means there are good ones and bad ones and sometimes they are just having a bad day. I never had issues crossing the US/Canadian border, but my ex-wife got grilled by US CBP when she visited me before we got married and she is a Caucasian with Canadian citizenship.

I agree with you that Asians are treated differently in SE Asia if they hold a western passport. My brother, who travels with a EU passport, had issues with Vietnamese Immigration officers on his last trip. I am part Chinese, so SE Asian people perceive me as being from Hong Kong or Taiwan and treat me accordingly. Chinese people would always speak Mandarin or Cantonese to me and then look confuse when I reply in English. Vietnamese people would try to rip me off because they don't think I know Vietnamese.

My girlfriend is from Chengdu and she says that one thing she really hates is how Chinese people bend over backwards for "white" foreigners, but treat other Chinese or Asians poorly. Carry a passport from one of the African countries and Chinese Immigration will scrutinize you even more.
You think you have problems in China:

My roots are Southern Chinese so I am on the bottom of the BJer, SHer Southerner list.
I am also marked as a HKer sometimes which put me at the bottom of the overseas, SingMa, Taiwan, HK list.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
I know there are dozens of places online which maintain the visa application form in PDF format, so that you can just tab from space to space as you fill in your data. Is there a particular one that anyone can recommend which handles all of the formatting well? I started at the LA consulate, and the itinerary section on that one takes your hotel information and makes it fit in the box by shrinking the font, so that for a long address it becomes so small as to be unreadable. The form at the US embassy gives you two lines for addresses, which is good, but doesn't allow date ranges in the itinerary section. Another one I tried uses a fixed font for some fields, which was causing overflows. There must be one out there that handle the various fields well.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
I know there are dozens of places online which maintain the visa application form in PDF format, so that you can just tab from space to space as you fill in your data. Is there a particular one that anyone can recommend which handles all of the formatting well? I started at the LA consulate, and the itinerary section on that one takes your hotel information and makes it fit in the box by shrinking the font, so that for a long address it becomes so small as to be unreadable. The form at the US embassy gives you two lines for addresses, which is good, but doesn't allow date ranges in the itinerary section. Another one I tried uses a fixed font for some fields, which was causing overflows. There must be one out there that handle the various fields well.
I always use the download from the DC consulate website myself, but odds are it is the same as the other consulates in the US. I recommend using Acrobat Pro to fill in whatever form you download because it provides significant control over formatting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.