Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Back to PEK or any Mainland airport: Immigration officers understand permissive dual of HK/Macau Chinese (those with HRP) and won't bother you.
This is the part I'm skeptical about, I understand that the party doctrine (as through http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...hinese/law.htm) is that all foreign passports of HKers will be acknowledged and allowed as 'travel documents' only. My case is #3 and #4 in the 'explanation'. But I'm not sure if this is understood for every single border officer and how consistent they are, given this is China not Japan......in fact I remember an HK celeb writing about how he merely made a remark of 'you guys (你們中國)...blabla' at PEK security and was grilled quite a bit by the officer.

I haven't been to the PRC for a very, very long time. I just thought it wouldn't be culturally appropriate to openly challenge a government official in this case, and it could lead to serious consequences. Maybe I'm just paranoid here...
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
UK has confirmed Lee as a citizen, not just national. (Well, a British non-citizen national is essentially a Chinese nowadays.) How he obtained it we don't know. (The 1990s scheme is rejected by PRC.) Regardless, Lee is a HK native who never renounced. He's Chinese when on Chinese soil.
May be the British Nationality Selection Scheme, or he may have undertaken regular naturalisation.

Short of an explicit renouciation at HK immigration dept 18 months following the handover (which only one of my friends undertook), we're all Chinese citizens (I'm not sure how HK resident Chinese citizens with foreign citizenship can renounce their Chinese citizenship after that date).

I just find that CPG tends to be very creative when "discovering" a foreign citizen ethnic Chinese has Chinese citizenship when it suits them.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by Bowgie
US citizen in San Diego. I recently got a brand new US passport because the old one ran out of insert pages. So it has 9 years left and plenty of pages.

I have a trip to Haikou coming up in early April and want a 10-year "L" Visa (30-day max stay is OK).

My trip is booked like this

LAX-HKG (2 days in Hong Kong)
HKG-HAK (one-way, about 5 days in Haikou)
HAK-HKG (one-way)
HKG-LAX (4 days in Hong Kong, then return flight home)

1. Does the LAX-HKG rt matter for the Visa application?
2. Do I need to list one or more Hong Kong to Shenzhen ground trips to increase the odds of getting a Visa with long validity? I'll probably want to do a day trip to Shenzhen anyway in my last four days in Hong Kong.
3. Are these guys reliable? www.mychinavisa.com
It's probably worth their $99 fee + FedEx charge to avoid two trips up to the China consulate in Los Angeles.
4. Any thoughts on staying at the Hilton resort near HAK?
I'll answer #4. I assume you're talking about the Hilton Meilan Haikou. I've been there three times. It's my "get away from the Chinese without leaving China" location. The hotel is, by now, coming up on two years old. It's never been close to full. Since the Chinese don't like the sun, the pools and beach are nearly deserted during prime sun hours. I usually just go down for weekend relaxation so I can't tell you about the shuttle into town. Executive Lounge is nice but may still not be serving breakfast yet. Have always gotten an upgrade to a suite when I've gone there as a Diamond. Taxi price is about 100 MB from airport and 80 to the airport. Roads on the way there are some of the worst I've been on in China.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. Does the LAX-HKG rt matter for the Visa application?
I would certainly include it; hold it on aa.com, if possible. "Buying" from other sites (e.g. united.com or Expedia) also works, but it can take up to 10 weeks to get your money back when cancelling within 24 hours.

2. Do I need to list one or more Hong Kong to Shenzhen ground trips to increase the odds of getting a Visa with long validity? I'll probably want to do a day trip to Shenzhen anyway in my last four days in Hong Kong.
I always advise people to list multiple trips, whether actually planned or not.

3. Are these guys reliable? www.mychinavisa.com
It's probably worth their $99 fee + FedEx charge to avoid two trips up to the China consulate in Los Angeles.
They are the most mentioned visa agency here, and get good reviews. However, I've never had a problem with their (cheaper) competitors.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I'll answer #4. I assume you're talking about the Hilton Meilan Haikou. I've been there three times. It's my "get away from the Chinese without leaving China" location. The hotel is, by now, coming up on two years old. It's never been close to full. Since the Chinese don't like the sun, the pools and beach are nearly deserted during prime sun hours. I usually just go down for weekend relaxation so I can't tell you about the shuttle into town. Executive Lounge is nice but may still not be serving breakfast yet. Have always gotten an upgrade to a suite when I've gone there as a Diamond. Taxi price is about 100 MB from airport and 80 to the airport. Roads on the way there are some of the worst I've been on in China.
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the report. I noticed on Hilton's website, another Hilton closer into town is "coming soon", but not in time for my trip.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jan 31, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by moondog
I would certainly include it; hold it on aa.com, if possible. "Buying" from other sites (e.g. united.com or Expedia) also works, but it can take up to 10 weeks to get your money back when cancelling within 24 hours.
Brilliant idea for getting proof of air travel, but in my case I already booked everything almost year ago using the last of my Avios -- back before BA devalued them.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the report. I noticed on Hilton's website, another Hilton closer into town is "coming soon", but not in time for my trip.
Enjoy! The one thing that I forgot to mention is that the area that the Hilton in is nearly deserted. You'll see a lot of villas on your way in and nearby but I don't think I've ever seen anyone in them. The Hilton is to the east of the city while most of the other resorts and, I believe, the DoubleTree are to the west.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:32 pm

Occupation Box on Chinese Tourist Visa

I will be traveling to China as a tourist for the first time in a month, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am currently employed by the federal government and work as an attorney for an independent agency within the federal government. The options for "occupation" on the Chinese Tourist visa are limited.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which box I should check since I will have to also list the agency where I work?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ColoradoCane
I will be traveling to China as a tourist for the first time in a month, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am currently employed by the federal government and work as an attorney for an independent agency within the federal government. The options for "occupation" on the Chinese Tourist visa are limited.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which box I should check since I will have to also list the agency where I work?
Item 1.15-- Check "Company Employee"
Item 1.17--Put name of agency down if it is not going to put up a potential red flag to the Chinese. If it would, then you'll need to use acronyms and maybe dance a bit beyond that. Three examples of federal independent agency employers with various implications:
(a) Consumer Financial Protection Bureau....not a problem to list as such.
(b) Environmental Protection Agency....likely not an issue, but maybe just list as "EPA" on the Employer line.
(c) Central Intelligence Agency....um, you'll probably want to entirely avoid listing this or the acronym. In which case you might want to become in 1.15 an "Other--Consulting Attorney" and list your own address as the business address.

I once advised a would-be Chinese tourist visa applicant--an active duty USAF fellow based in Ohio--to adjust his employer to "The Wright-Patterson Companies." Actually, you don't say where you are living or applying, but if it's the Washington DC area, the Chinese Embassy certainly sees many tourist visa applications from federal government workers so I wouldn't get unduly concerned about this.

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 10, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
Item 1.15-- Check "Company Employee"
Item 1.17--Put name of agency down if it is not going to put up a potential red flag to the Chinese. If it would, then you'll need to use acronyms and maybe dance a bit beyond that. Three examples of federal independent agency employers with various implications:
(a) Consumer Financial Protection Bureau....not a problem to list as such.
(b) Environmental Protection Agency....likely not an issue, but maybe just list as "EPA" on the Employer line.
(c) Central Intelligence Agency....um, you'll probably want to entirely avoid listing this or the acronym. In which case you might want to become in 1.15 an "Other--Consulting Attorney" and list your own address as the business address.

I once advised a would-be Chinese tourist visa applicant--an active duty USAF fellow based in Ohio--to adjust his employer to "The Wright-Patterson Companies." Actually, you don't say where you are living or applying, but if it's the Washington DC area, the Chinese Embassy certainly sees many tourist visa applications from federal government workers so I wouldn't get unduly concerned about this.
Thank you very much! This is extremely helpful!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
**Found my reported lost US passport with Chinese Visa, Visa still valid?**

I reported my US passport lost but then found it. It contains my 10 year multiple entry chinese visa. I have applied for and received a new replacement passport.

Technically the Visa is valid in the "lost" passport and the new passport is also valid.

I know that China allows people to carry 2 passports (an expired one with a valid visa) and the passenger's current valid passport to enter the country.

Does this apply in the case of a lost then found passport?

Additionally does anyone who used 2 passports to enter China know if they scanned both passports? Or just scanned the new passport and looked at the old visa.

Respond with any feedback! Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mspel
I reported my US passport lost but then found it. It contains my 10 year multiple entry chinese visa. I have applied for and received a new replacement passport.

Technically the Visa is valid in the "lost" passport and the new passport is also valid.

I know that China allows people to carry 2 passports (an expired one with a valid visa) and the passenger's current valid passport to enter the country.

Does this apply in the case of a lost then found passport?

Additionally does anyone who used 2 passports to enter China know if they scanned both passports? Or just scanned the new passport and looked at the old visa.

Respond with any feedback! Thanks
Starting with the second question: i have done that many times. They never scan the old passport, but look at the picture and visa only. The reason they don't scan it though is because the visa holding passport was made invalid (portion cut out), rendering it unreadable in the first place.

Having said that, I wouldn't try to enter China with a "working" passport that is reported stolen - instead, i would probably check with the agency that issues your passport and see if they/you can make the old one invalid. Since they are not going to scan that one, i would guess you're fine. I would still confirm this with your passport authority though, they'll know in which case a visa is valid or not.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:06 am

You can enter with a passport while have the visa in an older passport that is no longer valid. I believe that while in China, you can have you visa transferred to your new passport.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: various
I don't think you have any issues here. That first passport was electronically flagged and invalidated once you reported it lost. It's not really any different than getting a new passport while being able to submit the old one, the only difference being your old one won't have a "cancelled" stamp, a corner cut off, or some physical mark showing the termination. A still-valid Chinese visa in that passport should still work fine, in conjunction with the new passport. The Chinese will scan only the new passport, not the old, and your travel details (air ticket info, etc) will all be according to the new passport number. Just paper clip the old passport to open up at the Chinese visa page, and hand officer that and the new passport together.

I think that if you try to hand over or send off your old passport to a US passport office, to get physically invalidated, you run the risk of it and that Chinese visa getting lost. When I renewed my US passport about 6 months ago, it came back without any cancelled stamp inside it, just 2 holes (size same as for 3-ring binder paper) in the front cover about 1/4" from the opening edge and 3" apart. The holes fall in that bar coded information on the bottom of the photo/information page, rendering it unscannable.

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 16, 2016 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:15 pm

Hi all, new member here.

Has anyone here used PassportsandVisas.com?

I need to get a China visa for my wife and I and need to make sure I can get it with a quick turnaround time. They have great reviews on Trustpilot, but of course there are some reviews saying the service is a scam.

I see those types of reviews, though, with nearly every company that offers this service, so not sure how seriously I should take that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.