Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL has some GAs and redcoats who behave like number two also. They just "believe" that you cannot go to China without a visa and refuse to properly investigate using TIMATIC. IMO those with these attitudes and ways of doing their jobs should be fired and also required to personally pay to compensate the customers they harm.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:21 pm

A few questions.

01: When attempting to apply for a 10 year tourist visa, which box should be checked? I was not able to type anything in the "other" section when modifying the PDF. Can I check the 1 year and just ask the counter for the ten year? It appears you are not supposed to handwrite anything but even that is unclear.

02: Is a photocopy of any previous Chinese Visa necessary? There is no literature of this requirement on the Embassy website, only on forums.

03: The new foto rule. Has anyone had any success just handing in a standard 2x2 with a paperclip and having that accepted?

This will be for a USA citizen at the Los Angeles consulate. Thanks for any insight.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't know about #1 or #3 , but I can answer #2 . When I applied for a 10 year visa earlier this year, I did not need to send a photocopy of my previous (now expired) Chinese visa.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by alexinc
A few questions.

01: When attempting to apply for a 10 year tourist visa, which box should be checked? I was not able to type anything in the "other" section when modifying the PDF. Can I check the 1 year and just ask the counter for the ten year? It appears you are not supposed to handwrite anything but even that is unclear.

02: Is a photocopy of any previous Chinese Visa necessary? There is no literature of this requirement on the Embassy website, only on forums.

03: The new foto rule. Has anyone had any success just handing in a standard 2x2 with a paperclip and having that accepted?

This will be for a USA citizen at the Los Angeles consulate. Thanks for any insight.
General comment: Embassy/Consulate websites are often not kept up to date. Websites from good visa agents and good, active forums often have better information. To your questions:

1) No don't check the 1-yr box. Something is wrong with the form you downloaded. Download a form from a different source that is fully functional including that field. Try this agent's website and click the link at item #3 to get the pdf form:
http://www.mychinavisa.com/visas/tourist

2) Maybe, maybe not. This is up to the discretion of the visa officer that your application lands in front of. Usually the answer is "not needed" as the poster above described, especially for a US citizen applying for a tourist visa. If you want to check and see if there is a pattern or not on this from a wider set of datapoints, call the LA office of the above agent (mychinavisa) and see if they are seeing many requests or not. Now, if your passport was issued after 2014, the Consulate may want you to send the prior passport with your application, so they can thumb through the stamps looking for red flag countries (like Turkey, certain Middle East/North Africa countries). This is a relatively new phenomenon.

3) Very strict on new photo regulations. This year, more applicants are getting knocked back for this reason than for any other. Put in some upfront effort and get the photo right and heed all warnings about total size, face size maximum/minimums, expression, ears showing, etc.

A final note: if your trip is far enough into the future that there is any way that you can delay application until end of October/first of November, do so. With the upcoming Party Congress starting in Beijing on October 18, visa applications now are subject to extra scrutiny for security reasons.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:38 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jiejie
General comment: Embassy/Consulate websites are often not kept up to date. Websites from good visa agents and good, active forums often have better information. To your questions:

1) No don't check the 1-yr box. Something is wrong with the form you downloaded. Download a form from a different source that is fully functional including that field. Try this agent's website and click the link at item #3 to get the pdf form:
http://www.mychinavisa.com/visas/tourist

2) Maybe, maybe not. This is up to the discretion of the visa officer that your application lands in front of. Usually the answer is "not needed" as the poster above described, especially for a US citizen applying for a tourist visa. If you want to check and see if there is a pattern or not on this from a wider set of datapoints, call the LA office of the above agent (mychinavisa) and see if they are seeing many requests or not. Now, if your passport was issued after 2014, the Consulate may want you to send the prior passport with your application, so they can thumb through the stamps looking for red flag countries (like Turkey, certain Middle East/North Africa countries). This is a relatively new phenomenon.

3) Very strict on new photo regulations. This year, more applicants are getting knocked back for this reason than for any other. Put in some upfront effort and get the photo right and heed all warnings about total size, face size maximum/minimums, expression, ears showing, etc.

A final note: if your trip is far enough into the future that there is any way that you can delay application until end of October/first of November, do so. With the upcoming Party Congress starting in Beijing on October 18, visa applications now are subject to extra scrutiny for security reasons.
I just wanted to follow up for people who may be asking similar questions in the future. This is as of 25 SEPTEMBER 2017 at the Los Angeles Chinese Consulate.

01: I downloaded the form from a different website and was able to write 10 year visa on the "Other" checkbox. I will edit this once I receive my passport in three days to see if they issued me a 10 year visa as requested.

EDIT: I did receive the ten year visa. It appears they are fairly standard unless you are requesting over 60 days.

02: I did not need to give a photocopy of any previous Chinese Visas. However, a photocopy of your passport and driver's license was required and I had to go next door to make copies. This was not listed on their website as part of the requirements, so save yourself the hassle and do it in advance. It can be done next door for 25 cents \ea cash only if you're in a bind.

03: I cut my passport photo to 33x48mm. I looked at the MAJORITY of other people's applications getting processed and they had a 2x2 USA regulation size that were being accepted. Mind you, this was at the Los Angeles Consulate - they seemed to be less strict about it.

Last edited by alexinc; Sep 28, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Applying for Visa what is the turn around time in receiving your passport and visa back?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:43 am

Depends, one day to one week.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:18 am

Hi, Do I need a visa if I have a flight from Helsinki to Chonking if I have an immediate flight 2 hours after landing to Norway? I’ve bought a ticket from Chongking to Oslo Norway but there is a change of plane in Helsinki? In practical terms I return with same airplane from China as was a first flight but I need to change planes in order to go to Norway? I’m not going through customs in China. I intend to stay at airport gate.

Can I download full 24 hour terms from somewhere? Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:52 pm

I can't follow your plans for certain, but if you arrive in Chongqing on a plane that last stopped in Finland before arrival, then you cannot on TWOV depart Chongqing on a plane that makes its first stop after departure also in Finland. It's not considered a transit. That your final destination on return is Norway doesn't matter.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:10 pm

You won't be able to wait at the airport gate because you can't get there. As people come off the plane, the doors are set up so that you have to go to immigration; you can't waltz out to the gate area. And as mentioned above, TWOV won't apply because your itinerary, from a TWOV perspective, is HEL-CKG-HEL, so you are not going to a 3rd country. It doesn't matter where you're going after HEL on the return flight; the first stop must be somewhere other than in Finland.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Petri
Hi, Do I need a visa if I have a flight from Helsinki to Chonking if I have an immediate flight 2 hours after landing to Norway? I’ve bought a ticket from Chongking to Oslo Norway but there is a change of plane in Helsinki? In practical terms I return with same airplane from China as was a first flight but I need to change planes in order to go to Norway? I’m not going through customs in China. I intend to stay at airport gate.

Can I download full 24 hour terms from somewhere? Thanks
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
You won't be able to wait at the airport gate because you can't get there. As people come off the plane, the doors are set up so that you have to go to immigration; you can't waltz out to the gate area. And as mentioned above, TWOV won't apply because your itinerary, from a TWOV perspective, is HEL-CKG-HEL, so you are not going to a 3rd country. It doesn't matter where you're going after HEL on the return flight; the first stop must be somewhere other than in Finland.
LoganFlyer is correct.

Petri - you may wish to check out the TWOV thread also here on FT. It will give you all the information you need.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I tried to apply for a visa this morning, and after a 75 minute wait I was told I need to book my flight and hotel before applying for the visa. I did some research and this seems to be a requirement. Do people buy non-refundable tickets and risk it, or is it better to get a refundable ticket until you get the visa, and then cancel it & purchase a more affordable ticket?

I also learned that I need to include the following in my application (hope this helps someone else):
- copy of the passport information page
- copy of previous visas (may not be required, but why risk it)
- hotel reservation
- airline ticket

Did I miss anything?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:55 am

Maybe your old passport, if your new passport is relatively new.

Maybe something like your driver's license, to show residence in the consular region.

Green card, visa or something if you're applying somewhere you're not a citizen.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I was told I need to book my flight and hotel before applying for the visa. I did some research and this seems to be a requirement. Do people buy non-refundable tickets and risk it, or is it better to get a refundable ticket until you get the visa, and then cancel it & purchase a more affordable ticket?
This is true for many countries. I've always "risked it," bought the cheap ticket, and I've never been turned down. But then there's nothing about me or my background that I know of that would make a country question giving me a visa.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I tried to apply for a visa this morning, and after a 75 minute wait I was told I need to book my flight and hotel before applying for the visa. I did some research and this seems to be a requirement. Do people buy non-refundable tickets and risk it, or is it better to get a refundable ticket until you get the visa, and then cancel it & purchase a more affordable ticket?

I also learned that I need to include the following in my application (hope this helps someone else):
- copy of the passport information page
- copy of previous visas (may not be required, but why risk it)
- hotel reservation
- airline ticket

Did I miss anything?
You should check the Chinese embassy's website for the exact requirements (their site may forward you to the visa center website). It's all there and pretty simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.