Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ForeverCCA
Yes and no.

Over the last few weeks, I have had first- and second-hand information coming from various sources suggesting the five participating carriers (Air China, China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines, Hainan Airlines and China Southern) on PEK-SHA express service are overselling tickets excessively (un-official source suggests some airlines overbook PEK-SHA flights two or three times more than other domestic flights), because they know passengers would be able to take the next "available flight" resulting many passengers have to be bumped from their originally booked flights and change to a much later flight (because the next one or two flights are likely to have "run out of seats" as well).

Regards.
My recent experiences also echo what your friends have said; it's not pretty.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
Just got back from my trip. My waitlist cleared at the last minute, so I ended up flying JFK-ICN-PVG and return on KE. I was very impressed by both KE and ICN, and recommend this option highly for anyone traveling between NY and Shanghai (or the many other cities in China served by KE).

Now I'm going a bit off topic here, but I thought KE's business class was fantastic--great food (bibimbap), AVOD and seats (flat on an incline, but still very comfortable for side-sleeping), with very pleasant service throughout. All flights were on time or early, and transiting through ICN couldn't be easier--just a quick security check and off to the lounge, which is very comfortable with wifi, showers and an impressive buffet spread.

Finally, on the dates in question, KE's one-way C-class fare to PVG was less than half of CO's fare to PEK alone (not including the domestic connection to SHA), which boggles the mind considering the difference in comfort. Don't get me wrong, I like CO and think they have the best international product of the U.S. airlines, but KE's business class is in a different league. The only slight downside is that you get NW EQMs at 150% with CO but only 125% with KE.

Thanks again for all the replies. Especially after the last few, I'm glad I went via ICN instead!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:26 am

How to Travel Between T2 and T1 of PEK?

Hi all!

As above. I will be arriving at 0720 in the morning at T2 in Beijing and will need to transfer to a CZ domestic flight in T1.

How do I travel between the two buildings? My CZ flight is at 1040, which means I have about 3 hours between arrival and departure to spare.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:52 am

Walk!

As you exit to the public area of T2 turn right and follow the signs. IIRC you'll have to go up to the departures level. There's a corridor complete with moving walkways.

Figure about 10 minutes to arrive in T1 assuming that you move at a decent pace.

Last edited by phillipas; Jan 5, 2008 at 4:23 am Reason: Switching the numbers so they are correct
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by phillipas
Walk!

As you exit to the public area of T1 turn right and follow the signs. IIRC you'll have to go up to the departures level. There's a corridor complete with moving walkways.

Figure about 10 minutes to arrive in T2 assuming that you move at a decent pace.
I agree with what you said except for the fact that you switched the numbers (OP had it right): T1 is CZ domestic (except for SHA and a few random flights that eventually go onto international destinations) and T2 is everything else.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:24 am

In my defence it was late! I've edited my post so the archives are correct.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:15 pm

Thanks much! Managed to get there without any hassle. Noticed that the new T3 will be across the runway... any idea how they will link that to the existing terminals??
Old May 21, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, BA Gold, DL SM
Question Changing terminals in PEK int'l to int'l?

I need to fly back from Phnom Penh to Washington Dulles in July and the best schedule is a CZ flight that leaves PNH at 8am, stops for 1 hour in CAN, and then continues on to PEK (the same flight number), arriving at 4:15pm. I would then connect to UA 898, departing at 6:30pm. The flights would be on the same ticket and I would have to change terminals in PEK. Two questions for the experts:

(1) Is it even possible/feasible to do this kind of int'l to int'l connection in PEK, especially with the terminal change?
(2) I'm a little nervous about the 1-hour 10-minute stop in CAN, even though it's presumably the same flight. Would I have to clear immigration and customs in Guangzhou or in Beijing?

I speak and read Chinese, so I should be able to navigate given adequate signage.

Does anyone have any insights on this?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
The connection in PEK is very thight for a terminal change IMHO, especially since T3 is not running too smoothly yet.
Old May 21, 2008, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by greenwood
Does anyone have any insights on this?
You should clear immigration in CAN and customs in PEK (which you can skip if you don't check bags or through check them to IAD; I wouldn't take my chances with the latter since CZ would be the responsible party and IMO there's a very good chance they'd disappear).

That connection looks doable to me, but you'll have to do the OJ (Hertz) thing. You just need to get to the UA check-in counter an hour before departure. Allow 15 minutes to get to the curb at T2 and another 45 minutes to bus over to T3 and that gives you 15 minutes to spare (before travel the last mile+ to the gates that UA uses).

If I were you, I'd be looking at other options, but I do think you could pull it off.
Old May 21, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, BA Gold, DL SM
Thanks for all the info. Looks like it might be too much risk for the added convenience.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by greenwood
Thanks for all the info. Looks like it might be too much risk for the added convenience.
I wouldn't worry too much about the risk part (even if you decide to through-check your bags against my advice). However, the idea of "added convenience" gives me considerable pause.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:30 am

Connecting at PEK / Beijing Capital International Airport [consolidated]

I am planning an itinerary that requires connection from an international arrival to an international departure at PEK Capital Airport T3. More specifically, AC from Canada to CA or MS to BKK. Any one able to share their experience and whether I need to clear Chinese immigration, collect my checked bag and clear Chinese customs to re-check in at the departure area, or shall I be able to do my connection entirely airside? (I have a multiple entry Chinese visa, so clearing immigration is not an issue but it would be much simpler if I don’t have to.) I’ve arrived at PEK before but as a terminating passenger. Many thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: United
PEK UA to EgyptAir connection questions

Connecting from a UA flight to an Egyptair flight in PEK. UA will not issue a Eygypt Air boarding pass at IAD so I will transit with just my itinarary. At the old airport this was a pain as you had to clear immigration just to turn around and re-enter. Is the new airport any better with a transit desk????

Thanks,
Rich
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Moving to the China Forum.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.