Wiki Posts
Search

Walk-up International Air Tix Purchase in China

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Walk-up International Air Tix Purchase in China

I'm leaving for Chengdu in less than a week. Most of my inside-China travel will be by inter-city bus, and I will end up in Kunming (KMG). My return to the U.S. is from BangkoK. So I have to fly from KMG to BKK.

O/W airfare on TG or MU from KMG to BKK is $293(!), and I am resigned to getting hosed in paying it. I chose not to buy ahead of time because Expedia and similar bookers want $5 per ticket fee plus $20 to ship paper tickets to me.

I will be passing through airports in PEK and CTU. Am I more likely to get a discount from China Eastern's in-airport ticket office, or should I look for a travel agent in Chengdu? (There are three at the Traffic Hotel alone.)

Bowgie
Old May 15, 2006, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Am I more likely to get a discount from China Eastern's in-airport ticket office, or should I look for a travel agent in Chengdu? (There are three at the Traffic Hotel alone.)
Definitely use an agent. With the exception of certain promotional fares, agents often offer lower prices (and never higher) than then airlines themselves.

For example, I often fly AC between China and the US and, whenever I've called AC in the past, they've given me phone numbers of travel agents that undercut them by 40%+. In fact (while not relevent to you), one of them is near the Lido in Beijing, which is on the way to the airport for pretty much everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.