Wiki Posts
Search

Air China up-grade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Air China up-grade?

Am traveling on Air China SFO-PEK in June, is it possible to up-grade to Biz, with UA miles if I purchased a certain class fare?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I am not aware of this option, but I find Air China's business product to be pretty sub-par, so I wouldn't waste miles even if they offered the option. Air China often sells upgrades at the gate, and they are pretty sweet about upgrading you for being tall and asking nicely.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
I am not aware of this option, but I find Air China's business product to be pretty sub-par, so I wouldn't waste miles even if they offered the option. Air China often sells upgrades at the gate, and they are pretty sweet about upgrading you for being tall and asking nicely.
Really? Do you have a ball park $ amount on the cost?
I can ask nicely but I'm not tall.
Thanks jpdx
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rerunree1
Really? Do you have a ball park $ amount on the cost?
I can ask nicely but I'm not tall.
Thanks jpdx
I have a friend in SH who is not nearly as tall as jpdx -- in fact, some would call him "short," but he does pretty well in the sympathy u/g department. His pitch is generally along the lines of being overworked, underpaid, and needing space to work on the plane. He dresses well and is extremely pollite.

I, on the other hand, am much taller than most Chinese, but not "tall." Furthermore, I never dress up to travel (sure that works once in a while, but the other 90% of the time, you'll find yourself wearing a suit in Y -- not fun).

However, I've still found that upgrades have been attainable at the airport during those rare cases I switch into charm mode and ask.

And, on the off chance that I recognise the check-in agent from a Vic's encounter, it's a slam dunk.

In any case, I admire jpx's track record, but I am not surprised. Another tall guy I know pulls it off the majority of the time on SAS between SH and Denmark (not too hard to guess his company).

In case it's not obvious, your chances are considerably greater ex-China than ex-SFO.

Regarding paid upgrades, the cost is around $500. IMO, if you have an extra $500 laying around for that purpose, you'd be better off paying the UA premium and burning an SWU or miles.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
In case it's not obvious, your chances are considerably greater ex-China than ex-SFO.
Please explain ex-China vs ex-SFO.
The up-grade I'm trying for is not really for me but for my Mom, she's in her late 70s and would be estactic with a seat in Biz.
We are on a package tour of China in June (private tour about 20+ family and friends) and noticed the outbound on Air China (*Alliance) and our return from HKG will be on Cathay Pacific.
I do have a SWU on UA to use or gift, but we are ticketed on Air China...maybe I can get something done in CC.
Thanks moondog. ^
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Please explain ex-China vs ex-SFO.
I think moondog was referring to the fact that the mere fact that you look different confers some celebrity status in China (and some other Asian countries). You don't have that advantage when checking in at SFO.

The up-grade I'm trying for is not really for me but for my Mom, she's in her late 70s and would be estactic with a seat in Biz.
We are on a package tour of China in June (private tour about 20+ family and friends) and noticed the outbound on Air China (*Alliance) and our return from HKG will be on Cathay Pacific.
It's very nice of you to be worried about your mom. You deserve a free upgrade from the good karma department. Just tell your story at check-in (and again at the gate). I wish you the best of luck.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think moondog was referring to the fact that the mere fact that you look different confers some celebrity status in China (and some other Asian countries). You don't have that advantage when checking in at SFO.

It's very nice of you to be worried about your mom. You deserve a free upgrade from the good karma department. Just tell your story at check-in (and again at the gate). I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks for your support ^ , I'll try my best and cross my fingers.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Air China LAX to PEK Booking Questions

I'm assembling the outbound and return airfare for a trip to Yunnan province. The return looks like one of those under $1,000 business class fares from BKK to LAX routing thru NRT or ICN. I'll buy my domestic China flights and my flight from Kunming to BKK locally to allow for flexibility on a three-week trip.

The puzzle is getting there on a cheap o/w fare. I want to depart LAX and get to Chengdu (CTU) as quick as possible. The best flight schedule-wise is Air China's 01:40am departure direct to PEK arriving 06:00. From PEK, Air China has flights to CTU beginning at 08:55. The cost at the usual U.S. travel sites is about $720, which seems high (even for LAX to PEK and then to CTU on one booking). Ctrip.com prices the PEK to CTU leg alone at about $150 U.S.

I got a request in to a local asian TA to see they can do better. Anybody have idea what I SHOULD be paying for the LAX to PEK leg?

In another post in this thread, someone mentioned that Air China walk-up upgrade price is $500 at SFO. That's a little pricey for me. I have no upgrade miles. I'm not tall or friendly with any gate agents so my chance of scoring a free upgrade are noexistent. Is that $500 price negotiable? I might pay $250.

Last question, what airline program should I book the miles to? I can't get Air China's lame web site to enroll me in their program.

Bowgie
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:19 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
$555

http://www.airlineconsolidator.com/

Or try http://www.cnhintl.com/CnhWeb/HomeAb...sp?subAgentID=
for details of one of their local agents if they will not deal with you direct

Last edited by UncleDude; Apr 16, 2006 at 4:29 pm
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:32 pm

Last question, what airline program should I book the miles to? I can't get Air China's lame web site to enroll me in their program.

CA is going to join *A. you can add your miles to UA's account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.