Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese "tea ceremony" scam, "see my art" and other scams

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
Generally, Chinese do not go to coffee shops to meet foreigners.
I'm not sure how to respond to this. While I certainly don't want to encourage creepy practices in this forum, I don't support suppressing obvious truths either.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
TMK the photo lead in is specific to Bund area. Probably Pudong skyline gives the opportunity.
I was catching up on this thread and ran across this.

We were in Shanghai late last year and as we wandered around the Bund we were approached first by a young woman alone. Like others, we've taken photos of others and had photos taken of us in various parts of the world.
I took her photo and soon dismissed her fairly brusquely after she started the "Where are you from?" routine. Mrs. Fredd thought she was on the level at that point and rebuked me for being impolite as we walked away.

But soon we were approached for a photo by a couple, then by another couple, and at one point by a group of four or five. Mrs. Fredd realized her cynical husband was right this one time.

Some were standing at subway entrances clearly waiting for foreigners to show up and after the first young woman it became hilariously obvious what was up. It happened to us no fewer than five times in the space of little over an hour.

It's a good come-on and we'd never seen it before. Sadly, it will probably spread elsewhere. They've certainly saturated the market around the Bund.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Having just returned from Beijing, I have the feeling that those "Hello Sir, please wait a moment, Sir" kind of incidents have almost vanished from the streets. I haven't once been approached (but being in company of a woman most of the time might have helped), nor were I able to spot the typical kind of person usually waiting to pull off something like that.

However, as an european, one still seems to be prone to several kinds of rip-offs where they give out smaller quantities of goods (compared to what local-looking people receive) for the same amount of money. Additionally, using DCC on CC charges (without asking) seems to have increased. They even charged me in EUR at the airport, although I had clearly ticked the "CNY" box on the receipt. Well, for the 4 or 5 EUR that might save me, it doesn't really seem worth complaining to the CC company and soliciting a copy of the receipt as a proof.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:34 am

Mandatory DCC is on the decline; latest generation pos machines have an opt out.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by bruce80
Additionally, using DCC on CC charges (without asking) seems to have increased. They even charged me in EUR at the airport, although I had clearly ticked the "CNY" box on the receipt. Well, for the 4 or 5 EUR that might save me, it doesn't really seem worth complaining to the CC company and soliciting a copy of the receipt as a proof.
That's what they count on to perpetuate the scam. If everyone did a chargeback on principle, I believe you'd see a lot fewer cases of forced DCC in China.

Originally Posted by moondog
Mandatory DCC is on the decline; latest generation pos machines have an opt out.
That's good to hear. However, do language barriers/untrained staff still present problems even if one requests to be charged in renmenbi?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Majuki

That's good to hear. However, do language barriers/untrained staff still present problems even if one requests to be charged in renmenbi?
Not really. It's honesty a non-issue here in Shanghai.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:08 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by bruce80
Having just returned from Beijing, I have the feeling that those "Hello Sir, please wait a moment, Sir" kind of incidents have almost vanished from the streets. I haven't once been approached (but being in company of a woman most of the time might have helped), nor were I able to spot the typical kind of person usually waiting to pull off something like that.
Role Reversal

“Changsha resident Mr. Tang took the No. 402 public bus to work in the morning. When the bus stopped at Liuchengqiao station, he noticed a tall Laowai getting on the bus. Without inserting a coin into the automatic ticketing machine, the foreigner showed a board saying “Help, wallet stolen, borrow 20 yuan” to the passengers one by one and begged for money in crude Chinese.”

“Because he is a foreigner, many passengers 'lent' money to him”,

http://www.hugchina.com/china/storie...013-05-20.html
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:01 pm

Alright.. who of you is it?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Alright.. who of you is it?
I've been known to offer my Seiko for US $100 to the people trying to sell me "Rolexes," but I'm not this guy.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:27 pm

Came across this today
Scammed out of $100K in Shanghai
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by sniles
Came across this today
Undoubtedly this was one of those $99 China tours offered to Chinese-Americans/Chinese-Canadians, usually through Chinatown agencies. The entire offering is a set-up and group-think amongst this demographic is very strong, she's right about that....which is why they are targeted.

I don't know how many warnings one can give or how much incontrovertible evidence one can present.....there are still going to be a lot of people that you just can't save from themselves. In the eyes of the Chinese authorities--who could presumably do something about this--when one is an active participant, handing over cash willingly for a product or service without any overt threat to life or limb, how much of a "scam" is it? All they had to do was say "No" and keep the wallets under wraps.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jiejie
Undoubtedly this was one of those $99 China tours offered to Chinese-Americans/Chinese-Canadians, usually through Chinatown agencies.
Exactly, you get what you pay for. People always complain about getting scammed or having there time wasted. That's because they opt'd for a $99 tour!!!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:16 am

It's the same as those 19.99€ tours they offer to a "lovely German city"* for Swiss elderly..

*with a "short" show of whatever junk 70-90 years old might stupidely buy

And there are many of them which go (and buy!) several times..
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:44 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by sniles
Came across this today
Takes all of 5 seconds to google search the scam.
Princeton Twins should have got vpn and could have shown the others..it's a scam!

Shanghai - Day 7

Apr 30, 2014

Day 7

Today was the last day of the tour. Just before our journey to Shanghai, we stopped at the "Tianmai Jade Jewelry Expo Center." I thought it was "suspicious" that our tour guide said that we have the option of going inside or not and that he would not force us to go in. I did not want to go in since I already know that this was another shopping stop. BUT, the other members in our group was like "well, why not, let's go." OMG. My mother went along with them, so I had no choice but to enter too.

It was time for the "ELABORATE SCAM." Guys, be careful of the Tianmai Jade Jewelry Center, they are serious scammers.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jun 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Exactly, you get what you pay for. People always complain about getting scammed or having there time wasted. That's because they opt'd for a $99 tour!!!
I disagree. If 99 is the advertised price, that's what I'm willing to pay. I'd also read the fine print about gift shop visits and plan accordingly.

BTW, that blog was very well written; the authors are not stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.