Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:07 pm
KathyMoore

Originally Posted by choster
fresher and more natural than what goes into the average Arby's sandwich .

Why Arby? What have you heard? Please elaborate... thanks!

Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:35 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
[QUOTE=barefootflying]How is that possible? Cats would go beserk if you put them in water. My cat would rather die than be given a bath.
QUOTE]

clipped for brevity

You are supposed to put the cat in boiling water, silly.

This is all part of foreign travel that one risks. For me, I should have known that the $4 churrascaria (including a beer) in Brazil did not serve the meats I was accustomed to eating. Another clue should have been that I was the only one eating there at a prime dinner time. A third clue when my brain began to think beyond the bargain I was getting was some of the funny-tasting meat was hollow. A year wiser, I am posting this message while here in San Pedro Sula in Honduras. Mrs. Outoftown wanted to eat at the Applebee's and we got conos (ice cream) at McD's. OK by me. She is curious about the street vendor food in the market in el centro, but she won't risk it. For me, some of the best and freshest food I've had is from roadside vendors. When I was with the guys in Mexico, the street vendor tacos are awesome after a night of carousing. The tacoquilera (sp?) hacks the meat off a rotating spit. If no flys are buzzing around, they have the temperature hot enough. Last time, my coworker got sick, I didn't. That's the breaks. Cabrito (goat) in Mexico is a delicacy and anyone traveling there should try it.

Down here in the south, try the roadside vendor boiled peanuts. How else will you get to know something tasty and different unless you give it a shot? They generally don't sell this stuff at grocery stores or restaurants.

Outoftown
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:09 pm

I wonder if the OP has taken to craving catnip since returning from Shanghai?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:38 pm

And I wonder if the OP is able to lick herself
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
FYI: My tour book says there are places that serve dog in Hanoi, but patronized almost exclusively by locals. Most open only a few days a month, as having a little fido fillet is supposed to be good luck at certain times of the month, either full or new moon time. So the places serve fido burgers for three or four days at whatever time of the moon cycle that the astrologer says is Special.
Avoid the places that say "Thit Cho" or "Thit Cay"... they both mean "Dog Meat"... the big picture of a German sheppard is also a clue.

Thit Heo is pork.
Thit Bo is beef.
Thit Ga is chicken.
Thit De is goat.

Am I missing anything (important)?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:29 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Sound the alarm:
I've eaten god knows what in Thailand...first I was told it was fox, then horse, then pork. Whatever it was...it was good.

Not to mention I don't even want to know what was in the sausage I ate when I was drunk on the beach in Rio. Nor where the milk for that delicious barbequed cheese came from.

Still Alive!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by barefootflying
Should I go see my doctor on Monday and get myself examined? If so, what kind of diseases could I have gotten? The news mentioned something about parasites in cats... I have not felt any thing weird with my body in the last couple of month... but still... do I have reason to worry?

Again... OH MY GOD!!! I am about to barf out my dinner... Yes, I'm a cat lover and a cat owner...
If you haven't gotten sick by 2 months later, I can't imagine you will have any health problems. As a dog lover who really really dislikes cats, I could comment further but will refrain from doing so out of respect for you.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:26 am

A not entirely rhetorical question: I'm fairly badly allergic to cats (no, not as in "choke up and die", but still a rather unpleasant "instant hay fever"). What would happen if I ate one?

IceTrojan, thanks for the Vietnamese language lesson, will keep my eyes open later this month as I've meant to sample that for a while
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
A not entirely rhetorical question: I'm fairly badly allergic to cats (no, not as in "choke up and die", but still a rather unpleasant "instant hay fever"). What would happen if I ate one?
no idea, but the scary part is that you would likely be in a part of the world which did not have the cleanest of hospital facilities.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:43 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Oh I forgot.... I also (accidentally) had goat udder on my recent trip

Still not as disturbing as cat... but close.
FYI - There numerous places in LA to get goat dishes; a fairly wide variety of cuisines too - Chinese, Korean, West Indian, Pakistani, Mexican & Indian. In fact there was an article in the Sunday LA Times magazine pointing out the great variety of places one can get goat meat dishes (it's also sold in some Costco stores according to the article)
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Vaze
FYI - There numerous places in LA to get goat dishes; a fairly wide variety of cuisines too - Chinese, Korean, West Indian, Pakistani, Mexican & Indian. In fact there was an article in the Sunday LA Times magazine pointing out the great variety of places one can get goat meat dishes (it's also sold in some Costco stores according to the article)
Satay Kambing, sold in Indonesia, is a very yummy goat dish. I'll concede that much of my taste for the dish is from the peanut sauce which comes with satay kambing though.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:53 am
KathyMoore

Does Singapore Airlines serve satay on flight departing from China???

I think it's "okay" to eat cats, as long as they are healthy.
It's just another form of meat. However, I probably have
a different opinoin if I were a vegetarian or a cat-lover...

My best friend has a potbelly pig as a family pet. It's the
cutest litte thing I ever saw. However, my friend still serve
pork for dinner.... (but I don't think the pig realizes it)

Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Doppy
There's a restaurant in Brooklyn that serves cuy. I think it's the only one in the US.

They serve it whole, too.

It does NOT taste like chicken. More like gelatinous ham. Tastewise it wasn't too bad, but I didn't care for the texture at all.
Being a lazy SOB, I want to ask a favor: could you e-mail me
with the name and address of the restaurant?

Maybe Danny would be interested in hosting a Do around a
Guinea pig meal.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:22 pm
KathyMoore

Originally Posted by violist
Being a lazy SOB, I want to ask a favor: could you e-mail me
with the name and address of the restaurant?

Maybe Danny would be interested in hosting a Do around a
Guinea pig meal.
don't know about Guinea pig meal.... but if interested in iguana meat cuisine, there's a couple of them in Washington, DC.(near the big Latin American suspermarket) taste like chicken..(not really, more like duck to me)

Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by jpatokal
I'm fairly badly allergic to cats (no, not as in "choke up and die", but still a rather unpleasant "instant hay fever"). What would happen if I ate one?D
Probably nothing would happen, if they served you wholesome skinless meat.

But if they served you cat rinds, watch out. It's the fur and accompanying impurities to which people are allergic.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Ah, but you have to try the Shepherds pie peppered with actual shepherd! Um, good!
You mean the German kind or the Bethlehem kind? (You know, the ones in the fields looking over their flocks by night around Christmastime.)

Originally Posted by outoftown
QUOTE=barefootflying: How is that possible? Cats would go beserk if you put them in water. My cat would rather die than be given a bath.

clipped for brevity. end QUOTE

You are supposed to put the cat in boiling water, silly.
And P.E.T.A. has been complaining about the treatment of live lobsters destined for the dinner table.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Something like 15 years ago I heard a news report of a restaurant busted for serving sweet and sour bear but calling it sweet and sour pork on the menu. I suppose they would not have been busted if they at least called it sweet and sour bear.

Last edited by AllanJ; Jan 9, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.