Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:48 am

eeeeeeechhh.

OTOH, some years ago I poured myself some good old grapenuts, and was munching happily away when I realized it tasted bitter. Looked in the bowl to see dozens and dozens of worm casings floating in the milk.

I wouldn't eat from a street vendor in Asia, period.

Rita
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:27 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
[QUOTE=sfbarry]Did it taste like chicken?? They said the cuy I ordered in Cusco would....but they lied...

Wow, i've never had the guts to order cuy (fyi guniea pig). I'm a pretty adventerous eater, but just can't in this case. The restaurant that served cuy in Lima served it whole, with head on.

Back to China. You do have to becareful when eating out at street vendors. I never do as you don't know what you're getting. At least when I was in France and Italy, I knew I was getting horse or breaded cow brains in tomato sauce.

Another thing that I realized when in Beijing was NEVER to get water from individual vendors. Apparantely, they'll send kids out to collect the empty bottles and refill them with tap water. That's how people get sick as you can't drink the tap in China.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
so is dog. Relax and get a hold of yourself.
M8
Me, at nice restaurant: "So, what's the Catch of the Day?"
Waiter: "Doberman!"
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by barefootflying
OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)...
Yet another reason I'm so glad to be vegetarian!

GG
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemini573
Wow, i've never had the guts to order cuy (fyi guniea pig). I'm a pretty adventerous eater, but just can't in this case. The restaurant that served cuy in Lima served it whole, with head on.
There's a restaurant in Brooklyn that serves cuy. I think it's the only one in the US.

They serve it whole, too.

It does NOT taste like chicken. More like gelatinous ham. Tastewise it wasn't too bad, but I didn't care for the texture at all.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Yet another reason I'm so glad to be vegetarian!

GG
Canners change the label on the vegatable cans depending upon the maggot count. Premium veggies have less than 100 maggots per pound.

Grain has a rat/mouse feces limit. don't know what the limitations are.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by gemini573
I've heard of it prepared as a stew.
Not limited to Asia. I had cat stew in a back street trattoria in Italy in the mid 1980's. The owner/cook claimed it was "lepre" (wild hare), but my table mates pointed out the curve of the leg bones...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by slawecki
Canners change the label on the vegatable cans depending upon the maggot count. Premium veggies have less than 100 maggots per pound.

Grain has a rat/mouse feces limit. don't know what the limitations are.
Makes me even more glad I don't eat canned vegetables. LOL

GG
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Oh I forgot.... I also (accidentally) had goat udder on my recent trip

Still not as disturbing as cat... but close.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
I am so glad I'm a vegetarian.

/E
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:42 pm

Its about time they started serving cat meat! The dog owner's lobby is finally doing its job....
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by dannyr
I've never seen two Chinese people that look similar. That'd gotta be him !
Any they think all the roundeyes look alike.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:08 pm
Original Member

And you didn't even win the $50,000 from Fear Factor for eating it?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Oh I forgot.... I also (accidentally) had goat udder on my recent trip

Don't know about the udders, but goat meat is excellent and lower in cholesterol than any other red meat. It is good for you compared to cow. Stay healthy, eat more goat.

THE best ribs I have ever had anywhere on this planet were in beautiful downtown Hanoi. Place run by Ozzie ex-pats called Al Frescos. Also the best pizza I have ever had. Only later did I wonder: Were the ribs cow? Pig? Kangaroo? Other? Other Other?

Glad I did not ask. I would have them again no problem. Damn they are good. Sure did not taste like chicken!

FYI: My tour book says there are places that serve dog in Hanoi, but patronized almost exclusively by locals. Most open only a few days a month, as having a little fido fillet is supposed to be good luck at certain times of the month, either full or new moon time. So the places serve fido burgers for three or four days at whatever time of the moon cycle that the astrologer says is Special.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Probably a better cut than what goes into the average hotdog, and fresher and more natural than what goes into the average Arby's sandwich .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.