Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Was I overcharged at McDonalds?

Was I overcharged at McDonalds?

Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by DaileyB
Yes, and I saw no indication of any other price anywhere. All I saw was 2y and I had a reasonable question which has been answered . One would expect the actual price to be prominently displayed somewhere.
There is probably a price display behind the order counters, but they only try to show the difference in the ads. Same thing happens anywhere you go. The difference is that the ad would be in English in the US, and in Chinese in China.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Although I didn't think it was originally relevant, I will add that the lighted display above the counter prominently displayed 2y. Didn't show in picture because of the reflection.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:05 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I went to a different McDs about 1/2 mile down the road. The 2y price was again prominently displayed. Again I was charged 4Y. T
Visited 'Mcdonalds and price posted for vanilla ice cream cones was 2 yuan. Was charged 4 yuan. Had my daughter ask about i( she speaks Chinese) and was told the price was 4 yuan. Was the old price pictured on the bottom of the counter outdated, or was I overcharged?
Although I didn't think it was originally relevant, I will add that the lighted display above the counter prominently displayed 2y. Didn't show in picture because of the reflection.
What's the relevance of picture if it doesn't show the "y2 prominently displayed" you refer to?

Only #2 is see in photo is circled in yellow.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:13 pm

it might display y2 but it clearly shows HALF PRICE. Most likely reads y2 for second cone HALF PRICE.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:31 pm

Mystery display
Attached Images  

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jul 15, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

2 RMB = 29 cents in USD, right? Who cares?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM
I doubt that a chain would be charging more to Caucasians.
Generally not with posted prices but otherwise overcharging the laowei is very, very common.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Really strange that the wrong price would be so prominently displayed.
When you start travelling to the US and get charged a higher price at the till than the price displayed on the shelf or on the price tag, you'll get used to it.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Exactly. OP cannot even read the pricing sign and then comes on here and kvetches about this .
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Originally Posted by mapleg
Exactly. OP cannot even read the pricing sign and then comes on here and kvetches about this .
Yes OP might have jumped the gun in this instance a bit however OP explained his reasoning upthread which is quite understandable. At least OP has the sense to come and ask about something he doesn't understand, instead of forming an opinion and hold on to it like 95% of people do.

I went to a different McDs about 1/2 mile down the road. The 2y price was again prominently displayed. Again I was charged 4Y. The good news is that I watched a Chinese person buy a cone, and, by the change, I could tell that she was charged 4 Y. Really strange that the wrong price would be so prominently displayed.

To those making mirth of the small amount, I would say that I negotiate a lot in business, and I always want to understand the culture in deal with. If I, as a foreigner was being charged double, it would be revealing in a negative way. Glad to say the potentially negative connotation was not true.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:51 am

I can't read Chinese but based on the photos posted in this thread I assume OP saw the number "2" and assumed that was the price but if you look at the photos it looks like this character "Ą" is the is the equivalent of $, which is nowhere near the 2.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Not too confusing as to pricing on this display.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Mapleg. “Exactly. OP cannot even read the pricing sign and then comes on here and kvetches about this “

From what I can see, a major point of this forum is to help people who do not have a lot of knowledge about China, which would include people who can't read Chinese characters. I had a reasonable question from that perspective and it was answered, which I appreciate. You should get off of your self-righteous high horse.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Anacapamalibu. Post 26

Just for clarification. There was nothing like the display you pictured in post 26 at the stalls in which I bought the ice cream. The only numbers I saw were on the front of the stall.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

This kind of "second dessert 50% off" things are quite often to be found in China.

Even without really understanding Chinese characters, I often spot them (and use those offers sometimes).

Obviously I try to avoid US-American chains like McDonalds as much as possible, but local restaurants often run discounts too.

One thing in China to note is that discounts aren't given in "30% off", or "40% off", but rather the opposite. If you see a sign saying "9折" it doesn't mean 90% off, but rather 10% off.

This website does describe it pretty well:

https://ninchanese.com/blog/2014/02/...ts-in-chinese/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.