Chengdu Panda advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chengdu Panda advice

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Chengdu Panda advice

Hi all,

I am going to have a free weekend coming up in Chengdu and would love to go and visit the Pandas. Having done research, it seems you can either go to a place almost in the city or somewhere a few hours outside that is generally quieter.

It is not like I am Panda fiend but just think it would be great to see. Not looking to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Anybody have any advice? I was looking at this tour which gets great reviews and seems to leave early to beat the crowds:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Chengdu...d322-5489PANDA

Many thanks for any tips in advance.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
I did that trip and it was well worth it. Can't comment on the other trip. I saw heaps of happy pandas doing their thing (which is basically eating bamboo all day) and lots of babies being cute. I also liked the red pandas a lot. I went on a rainy day so there were few people. Like you I'm not particularly panda-mad, so this was enough for me to feel I got a good panda experience. I'd recommend it.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: various
Basically, that choice is correct. Currently there are five locations that accept public visitors.
1) Chengdu--Giant Panda Breeding Centre. The most convenient, the most accessible, the cheapest to access, and has the most pandas including views of young in the nursery. It has the most crowds though this can be mitigated by going early (07:30 to 10:00). Panda holding program has been discontinued indefinitely here.
2) Dujiangyan Panda Base. About 1.5 hours west of Chengdu in Shiqiao/Qingchenshan Village. This has the panda hospital and quarantines pandas incoming to and outgoing from China. There aren't as many pandas here but it isn't very crowded and a lot more green space.
3) Dujiangyan Panda Valley. Also about 1.5 hours west of Chengdu in Baima Village. This is the only place that currently has a panda holding program so for that reason, it does get visitors with cash to burn. It also has a 1-day panda volunteering program. Also doesn't have as many pandas as Chengdu but isn't as crowded and also a lot more green space vs the more zoo-like presentation of #1 .
4) Bifengxia Reserve. Near Ya'an, about 2 hours south of Chengdu. I believe still has a panda volunteer program but discontinued physical contact/holding program for now. Makes most sense to go here only as part of an overnight or multiple-day trip coupled with other sights in that direction (Emeishan, an old town, etc.).
5) Wolong Reserve. 2-3 hours west of Chengdu up in the hills. Newly rebuilt and reopened to public last year. Not a lot of data points on panda numbers that they've got there, but it's always been more sedate.

In your situation and if you are not a "panda fiend", it makes the most sense to choose Option 1 which you can do on your own/no guide needed--use taxis to get to/from and buy your own entry ticket. Total cost about USD 20. Option 3 would be the next choice, but if you do not want to specifically hold a panda (which I think is now around RMB 2000, then it's a long way to head to Dujiangyan just for viewing a dozen or so pandas. It's possible to get out to Dujiangyan by public transport (high speed train + taxi) and visit yourself (only the holding program requires prebooking which isn't easy to do without a tour agent intermediary). This could make sense if you want to couple it with a visit to the Dujiangyan Irrigation project or visit Qingchengshan (front side).

Pandas: don't like heat, so you must go early wherever you decide to go if you want to see them active.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
I did that trip and it was well worth it. Can't comment on the other trip. I saw heaps of happy pandas doing their thing (which is basically eating bamboo all day) and lots of babies being cute. I also liked the red pandas a lot. I went on a rainy day so there were few people. Like you I'm not particularly panda-mad, so this was enough for me to feel I got a good panda experience. I'd recommend it.
Thanks BSBtraveller
Old May 11, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I went to the Giant Panda Breeding Center from the city by taxi and it was well worth it. Go as early as you can. The pandas get to go outside early and munch on bamboo for a couple hours. By 10:30AM most of them seemed to be asleep - besides a few younger ones.
It was a bit crowded towards the end.
I did not have the time to go to the Dujiangyan panda base suggested by jiejie but unless you are really into panda bears option 1) should be OK.
Note that the souvenir plush pandas inside the center are expensive and not of good quality. Outside they are cheaper ($2 for a medium size one) but quality is still bad.
The Intercontinental Century City has a very nice one as Ambassador welcome gift, though.

There is a nice old hutong style covered food market just east of the Crowne Plaza City Center that is well worth checking out.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Which is the one [other than 1)] that experienced such widely publicized problems from the Chengdu earthquake? I think it was affiliated with 1) but definitely in some more isolated rural area.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: http://www.chengdutravelagency.com
Around Chengdu, there are four panda bases.Each panda base, the number of pandas is different.
Chengdu Panda Base is near, 15 km away from the city center.But many tourists, every day.You see Panda baby's time,I suggest you are in the morning, 8:00-10:00.
Dujiangyan panda base,you can do a panda volunteer,or hold a panda,take photos.
wolong panda base, There are 36 pandas now.Very few tourists every day.
Ya'an panda base,from chengdu is 160 km.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:04 pm

Of course, in Wolong panda base, you can also be a panda volunteer, or hold a panda, take photos.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Which is the one [other than 1)] that experienced such widely publicized problems from the Chengdu earthquake? I think it was affiliated with 1) but definitely in some more isolated rural area.
Wolong. Was essentially destroyed in the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake with both human and panda casualties. The new Wolong is just up the road a bit, but it's quite far away from Chengdu and probably makes less sense for casual tourists to visit, or those who have little time. The pre-earthquake Wolong was heavily geared to researchers.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:43 am

New Wolong Panda Base,May 11 last year was opened.Hong Kong Government Investment.Now, there are 36 giant pandas.Panda volunteer every day, only 12 people.
The Wolong Panda base is 110 km from Chengdu,May 8, I went there,took 1.5 hours,to get there,,,Together with two volunteers,
Old May 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I went to Dujiangyan Base last year and did the volunteer program and that cost me 700 RMB. I got to feed the panda, clean the habitat, make panda cake, and got a shirt. But you have to apply for it and have a doctor fill out a health form. I also paid an additional 1800 RMB to hold a panda and get a picture taken with it. That doesn't require an application or health form.

The whole experience was expensive, but it's worth it. How many people in the world can have such an experience?

Dujiangyan Base is more remote and definitely less crowded. The only disappointing thing is that they didn't have any baby pandas there to look at.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:47 pm

I did option 1 (Chengdu Panda Breeding Center) some time ago. I hired a guide once inside since I don't speak Chinese, and didn't cost too much if I recall. Most other tourists did unguided tours. However, there were some tourists who followed us around and tried to listen to the guide in English, for free, and even asked the guide their own questions. Needless to say, the guide was quite annoyed.

Moral of the story: please be considerate and don't mooch off other paying tourists. It will be awkward for everyone.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If I arrive at the Chengdu Panda Breeding Center at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning in early July, how much time would I need to see the pandas? I was wondering if I could see the Panda Breeding Center and make it to the Chengdu airport in time to catch an 11:00 am flight to Xian?

I am thinking of hiring a car and driver to take me to the panda breeding center by 7:30 am, from a hotel near Tianfu Square, and then to the airport after that. Any idea how much it would cost?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by sooge_sj
If I arrive at the Chengdu Panda Breeding Center at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning in early July, how much time would I need to see the pandas? I was wondering if I could see the Panda Breeding Center and make it to the Chengdu airport in time to catch an 11:00 am flight to Xian?

I am thinking of hiring a car and driver to take me to the panda breeding center by 7:30 am, from a hotel near Tianfu Square, and then to the airport after that. Any idea how much it would cost?
No. Not advisable. The Panda Breeding Center is northeast of Chengdu. The Airport is southwest with a long ride between--you'd want to allow an hour's drive. You'd need to be at the airport at 10:00, meaning leaving the Center no later than 09:00. That leaves you only 1.5 hours for the pandas. IMO, this is not enough time even for a sprint-fest through the Center, and you'd miss out on watching the feedings. If you could change to a 13:00 flight to Xi'an, it's doable.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jiejie
No. Not advisable. The Panda Breeding Center is northeast of Chengdu. The Airport is southwest with a long ride between--you'd want to allow an hour's drive. You'd need to be at the airport at 10:00, meaning leaving the Center no later than 09:00. That leaves you only 1.5 hours for the pandas. IMO, this is not enough time even for a sprint-fest through the Center, and you'd miss out on watching the feedings. If you could change to a 13:00 flight to Xi'an, it's doable.
jiejie, thanks for the quick response!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.