Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

domestic transfer to international-check in again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

domestic transfer to international-check in again?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The flight from TAO was practically empty. Everyone had their own row. So I can see why it is so cheap.

But I find it interesting how CZ is so much more expensive than MU (I mean, on other flighta from China as well when I have searched before). Did it become China's premium airline?
CZ is the only supplier of CAN-KIX nonstop. As such, it can charge whatever it pleases.

If you were to buy TAO-KIX in isolation, you would also be in for sticker shock because MU has a monopoly on that product (nonstop).

Since there are numerous connecting options between CAN and KIX, it makes sense that these are priced more competitively.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jiejie
CAN-HKG is a short but usually-expensive little flight add-on unless you get lucky. But 4x price for the nonstop vs the TAO routing is Ouch! I think I'd have gone overland to HKIA and just flown nonstop from there.
That's why don't buy CAN-HKG alone. KA's CAN-HKG is usually of zero or negative cost with a long-haul CX connection. Almost everyone on that flight is transiting in HKG.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:36 am

While there are a few exceptions on certain airlines on certain routes in China where one can do a domestic + international and get the luggage checked through, it is currently uncommon.
Flying from HRB to MEL via PVG my luggage was checked in at HRB for direct to MEL. They unloaded it from the HRB to PVG flight and loaded onto the PVG to MEL flight. Then, they unloaded it from that flight before it took off because I missed the boarding. I've got a cancelled 10th of April exit stamp above a 11th of April exit stamp to show for it.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:54 am
Original Poster

It is standard procedure in China to use your final departing location from Chinese soil, as the Exit Immigration and Customs processing point. In your example, CAN-TAO as a standard domestic segment, then TAO as your China exit point. Since you have to take your possessions through Exit Customs by hand, the airline could not through-check your luggage at CAN to USA. While theoretically you should be able to do all this Exit procedure at CAN and just do TAO as a connection, in practice the physical setup of the airports and their process of handling baggage makes this difficult.
I realized that other countries don't have exit customs. Is that just a China thing?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:36 am

I realized that other countries don't have exit customs. Is that just a China thing?
I am not sure if that is just for China, but not all Chinese international airports have exit customs.

Other countries may have exit customs but not obvious, e.g., US does enforce export control laws, but you don't see exit customs at the airport. In 1998 during the Asian Financial Crisis, custom agents sometimes checked passengers to see if they were carrying more than USD10,000.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Kernel
Flying from HRB to MEL via PVG my luggage was checked in at HRB for direct to MEL. They unloaded it from the HRB to PVG flight and loaded onto the PVG to MEL flight. Then, they unloaded it from that flight before it took off because I missed the boarding. I've got a cancelled 10th of April exit stamp above a 11th of April exit stamp to show for it.
Congratulations that you found one of the exceptions. Sorry that you missed the connection anyway.

Most Asian countries have Exit Customs, which can be broadly construed as "controls on what goes out of the country". Some are more visible than others in their physical setup and passenger processing.

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am not sure if that is just for China, but not all Chinese international airports have exit customs.
Which ones? I'm genuinely curious, since the ones I've been through have Exit Customs and I'm racking my brain as to which Chinese airports with regularly scheduled international commercial flights don't have. Maybe something like Yanji YNJ or Quanzhou JJN?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:47 am

Which ones? I'm genuinely curious, since the ones I've been through have Exit Customs and I'm racking my brain as to which Chinese airports with regularly scheduled international commercial flights don't have. Maybe something like Yanji YNJ or Quanzhou JJN?
I don't recall there is exit customs at PEK T3E. I fly out of there about 4 times a year.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't recall there is exit customs at PEK T3E. I fly out of there about 4 times a year.
It's there, just not widely used. I don't know of a single border checkpoint in China that lacks customs facilities.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: various
Yes there is, it's right after the Immigration + Security Sequence. It's just so informal and low key that you think you're walking straight into the central space of T3, but there are Customs officers around keeping a lazy eye on things, and some usually-unused tables where they can pull somebody over and inspect. I have only rarely see them do so (usually to departing Chinese citizens). Otherwise, you just go right through it and as with you, it doesn't even register that you're doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.