Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can 11-year-old daughter do while visiting relatives in China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

What can 11-year-old daughter do while visiting relatives in China

My daughter lived with her aunt in Wuhan for a time and is close to her aunt. (The sister of my daughter's deceased Chinese mother) In the past, when she spent about 6 weeks in China visiting her aunt, she always had a good time, just by virtue of staying in her aunt's apartment. Last summer, when my daughter was 10, she got bored because she was spending most of her days simply playing games in her aunt's apartment. (This is partly due to her aunt's concern for my daughter's safety, which I understand.) My daughter speaks perfect Chinese but she gradually loses it during the 10.5 months she spends in the US. When she visits Wuhan, it comes back fairly quickly, so I want her to enjoy her visits to Wuhan. Last year I placated her, by getting her a long-desired Iphone as "compensation" for her boring stay. (She was OK with that--Should also add that she is pretty bright. She is getting straight "A"s, including an "A" in gifted English)

My daughter's older brother (16-years-old) will be interning teaching English this summer, just like he did last year. (He enjoyed it as well as getting the satisfaction that he was doing something worthwhile for his collegiate future.) I want to find something interesting for his sister to do. I suggested that maybe she could take dancing or gymnastics lessons, but she had already researched that and said that those classes were brutal on the Chinese children and that she didn't want to do that. (Maybe I can find classes that are not so stringent.) In any event, if anyone has any ideas as to what interesting things my daughter may be able to do in Wuhan, I would appreciate the input.

Last edited by DaileyB; Mar 19, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Museums: Art, ethnography, history of the communist party.

Architecture, including buildings in the university campus.

Religious sites.

Participate in the public outdoor group dancing in parks and along the river.

Attend some music and theater performances.

Would she be interested in cooking classes, ideally including visits to food markets?

Music lessons, especially on traditional Chinee instruments?

Despite not being a tourist attraction, Wuhan has a bunch of cultural things of interest to tourists.

Are factory tours done in China? I've been on some in Asia, but never in China. There are a lot of industries based near Wuhan.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There were summer camps for foreign Chinese youths at one time. Perhaps you can see if they are still around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.