Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct Flight To Shenzhen China?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Direct Flight To Shenzhen China?

Didn't know where else to ask this. Does United, or anyone else, offer a direct flight to Shenzhen China from the US west coast? Did a search but couldn't find one and don't want to stop in Beijing. Thank you
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Xiamen Air had a direct flight from SEA, and starting in July Air China will have a direct flight from LAX.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:11 pm

Would taking a UA flight to HKG and then a short bus ride to SZX be an option? Air China will start a LAX-SZX nonstop later in the summer/fall.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast replies. I was told traveling by car would easily take several hours total though
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by olmvp
Thanks for the fast replies. I was told traveling by car would easily take several hours total though
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...-services.html
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by olmvp
There is a ferry that can get you to Shenzhen from HKG in 30 mins
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you don't want to fly to SZX, you can also fly to HKG and take a short connection directly from the Hong Kong airport (special immigration handling and everything!) to Shenzhen.

You probably wouldn't want to drive.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Would taking a UA flight to HKG and then a short bus ride to SZX be an option? Air China will start a LAX-SZX nonstop later in the summer/fall.
That bus ride ain't short!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Having done the ferry a few times, this is the best way from the US to Shenzhen.

Connecting in the mainland will likely involve a delay, and the buses are unpredictable time-wise, especially at the border.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
That bus ride ain't short!
My bad. I thought it was. Eventually it'll be shorter when the highway links are completed.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The bus distance is short, but it's everything else in between that make it a complete PITA. For beginners, the bus is actually 2 buses (HK and China drive on opposite sides).
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
There is a ferry from HKIA to SZX, but I never took it. Note that:
* It is not accessible once landside. You cannot return airside with the ferry ticket.
* Passenger has to tell the airlines about the transfer at check-in so his/her luggage will not be delivered to the customs area.
* I don't know if all airlines have that service. The chance is that UA may not. I know CX has.
* I am not sure if passenger has to buy the ferry ticket upfront or how frequent the ferry is.

I would think that ferry is possibly the best way to get to SZX.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:22 pm

But where are you headed in Shenzhen? If to the airport or Shekou, then you might consider the ferry from HKIA. But if to central Shenzhen, then just take the direct bus from HKIA.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
When need to travel to China (Shenzhen or Guangzhou) i will always try to fly HKG (just twice flew to CAN), you can take buses, ferry or trains and be on those citys in less than 2 hours.

For SZX you can only fly from 2 citys and only 1 fly from each city, so think on conections and the layovers that you may have. Compare that with the 5 flys that you have from LAX to HKG on Cathay or AA.

Also airports in China have some huge and slow lines at immigration, i am almost sure that if i land on HKG at the same time that you land on SZX and we race to get to an hotel near the Center of Shenzhen i will get there before you

Last .... i have emerald status on OW..... and just love to visit some of the lounges on HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.