Wiki Posts
Search

Spring Airlines - Carry-on baggage policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Spring Airlines - Carry-on baggage policy

I'm booked on a Spring Airlines flight next week from PVG to HKG.

I know they have a rather odd and strict baggage policy where both the checked and carry-on baggage counts towards the 15 kg limit.

I notice the following with regards to carry-on luggage:
"Each passenger is allowed 1 piece of carry-on baggage. All pieces must not exceed 22 x 14 x 9 in (40cm x 30cm x 20cm) in size and 15.4lb (7kg) in weight, or 5kg in weight for international flights. These dimensions include wheels, handles, and side pockets."
http://help.ch.com/en/Static/Excessbaggage.shtml

I have a soft usual style backpack that I always use as carry-on. I usually don't put much in it so being under 5 kilo would not be a problem, but how strict are they with regards to dimensions? Although it is soft and can be squeezed, my backpack is a littler longer and little bit wider.
Specs of my bag are: 50 cm x 35 cm x 21 cm (but those are for a full bag).

Any experience with how they enforce their baggage policy for carry-on? .. and any suggestions?

Last edited by EBGflyer; Feb 8, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm guessing they'll let you carry your bag on, but be prepared to check it (and pay whatever fee that entails per the rules of your ticket).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing they'll let you carry your bag on, but be prepared to check it (and pay whatever fee that entails per the rules of your ticket).
Sure. And paying extra fees is what I am trying to avoid.

According to their baggage policy, I note that it doesn't mention any limit of checked bags - only that the total allowance is 15 kg. In principle, I suppose I could take out my laptop and just check in my backpack as well.

But anyone here has experience with Spring?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:20 am

I've flown them and seen passengers with large luggage boarding. But again, who's to say what'll happen on any given flight.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:56 am

This type of airlines makes money with such extras. So don't be surprised if they try. But taking your laptop out and checking the backpack would work.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by EBGflyer

But anyone here has experience with Spring?
Yes. Usually they are cool with bending the rules a bit, but I've encountered sticklers a handful of times.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 8, 2017 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Yes. Usually they are cool with bending the rules a bit, but I've encountered sticklers a handful of times.
Thanks for your answers,

I will take my chances and bring my usual backpack.

...and I will post here how well it went
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

So had my flight with Spring Airlines and things went without any problems whatsoever.

Check-in was fast, plane was brand new (186 seater A320), flight was on time, leg room was surprisingly good (was in row 3), and crew actually was very thorough with safety procedures. They made a good impression. Pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by EBGflyer
So had my flight with Spring Airlines and things went without any problems whatsoever.

Check-in was fast, plane was brand new (186 seater A320), flight was on time, leg room was surprisingly good (was in row 3), and crew actually was very thorough with safety procedures. They made a good impression. Pleasant surprise.
I thought row 3 had standard legroom (because only rows 1 and 2 are sold as Spring Plus), but it's good to know if that isn't the case. The seats I usually end up in are extremely uncomfortable. The staff does try its best to ease the pain with their cheer though.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I thought row 3 had standard legroom (because only rows 1 and 2 are sold as Spring Plus), but it's good to know if that isn't the case. The seats I usually end up in are extremely uncomfortable. The staff does try its best to ease the pain with their cheer though.
The plane I flew with was B-8873 - one of the newer 320's with 186 seats. Correct, the 2 first rows were Spring Plus, but row 3 (my row) and row 4 had good legroom as well. It seemed a lot less from row 5. My guess is that I had around pitch 34-36" in row 3.

Perhaps the extra rows with legroom is to prepare for expanding the Spring Plus section with 6-12 more seats when there is enough demand. Row 2 and 3 were only separated by a movable divider, so it wouldn't take a lot to do.

On my flight only 9 of the 12 seats were booked in Spring Plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.