Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tricky Visa Situation - Canadian Citizen with HKID (RoA) and HRP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Tricky Visa Situation - Canadian Citizen with HKID (RoA) and HRP

I will be going to China on business with coworkers and am pondering the visa issue - they have visas since they are Canadian and only hold a Canadian passport, but I hold HK citizenship (right of adobe, born in HK) and have a valid HRP. I also hold a NEXUS card and the ABTC, should I apply for the 10 year Chinese Visa and risk them discovering my dual nationality or use my HRP?

Possible routes we may take include flying to Guangzhou directly, or Hong Kong and busing/rail up (which wouldn't be an issue as I'd use my HRP). It's the flying into China part that has me concerned. I won't be staying for more than 180 days, so I can use my HRP safely (or so I've read) - is this correct? Or should I just use the ABTC solely in China?

UPDATE: Got my M 10 year visa, so all is fine . Used China Travel Services in Toronto for the record.

Thanks!

Last edited by burgerkong; Mar 4, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by burgerkong
I will be going to China on business with coworkers and am pondering the visa issue - they have visas since they are Canadian and only hold a Canadian passport, but I hold HK citizenship (right of adobe, born in HK) and have a valid HRP. I also hold a NEXUS card and the ABTC, should I apply for the 10 year Chinese Visa and risk them discovering my dual nationality or use my HRP?

Possible routes we may take include flying to Guangzhou directly, or Hong Kong and busing/rail up (which wouldn't be an issue as I'd use my HRP). It's the flying into China part that has me concerned. I won't be staying for more than 180 days, so I can use my HRP safely (or so I've read) - is this correct? Or should I just use the ABTC solely in China?

Thanks!
Your Canadian passport: what does it say about your place of birth?

If you have never had a PRC visa you chance of getting one with HK as your birthplace is very difficult

If they know about your HPR they will never issue you a visa.

If you enter PRC with your HPR you should let your employer know. Any issue you or the company have in China you will not be able to call pretty boy Justin.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, my place of birth is listed as Hong Kong. Sooooo, SOL then obtaining a visa then - this confirms what I've been told by many people. Should I be using the NEXUS/ABTC then? Thanks for the reply!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:14 am
Original Poster

To add to my reply above, is getting my PRC visa in HK an option?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just use your hrp. I'm not sure why you're considering applying for a visa.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I wasn't sure if HRP was a valid travel document, members here say it is, AC does not specify.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't sure if HRP was a valid travel document, members here say it is, AC does not specify.
AC knows about HRPs
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
If he wants to travel as a Canadian citizen with Canadian consular protections, that's why he'd go to the trouble/expense to get a visa in that passport. With a HRP, he'll be considered a Chinese subject while in China. To many travelers, it doesn't matter but to some it does.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:45 am

If you're a Chinese citizen, traveling on a Canadian passport or a HRP makes no difference whatsoever.

China won't recognize the foreign citizenship and would just count you as a Chinese citizen.

That's, of course, only the case if you're able to get a Chinese visa in the first place.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
If he wants to travel as a Canadian citizen with Canadian consular protections, that's why he'd go to the trouble/expense to get a visa in that passport. With a HRP, he'll be considered a Chinese subject while in China. To many travelers, it doesn't matter but to some it does.
Originally Posted by TravelDream
If you're a Chinese citizen, traveling on a Canadian passport or a HRP makes no difference whatsoever.

China won't recognize the foreign citizenship and would just count you as a Chinese citizen.

That's, of course, only the case if you're able to get a Chinese visa in the first place.
OP is asking a very specific issue. Hong Kong born, Chinese national and Canadian citizen with Canadian passport.

China consulate in Canada has stop issuing visa for HK born Canadian who either has a HPR or never been issued a China visa.
For those with HPR they will tell you to use that.
For those without HPR you will be issued a travel permit which let you enter China as a Chinese national, passport not withstanding. There is also a disclaimer sheet returned with passports with this permit to clarify the status of the traveller.

A treaty between Canada and China gives Canadian passport holders with valid visa rights of consular services in China even if they were born in HK and considered Chinese nationals. The exemption is if you hold a HPR.

If his other colleagues are travelling on a business visa he should apply for that together with documentation from his company and invitation letter.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by tentseller
OP is asking a very specific issue. Hong Kong born, Chinese national and Canadian citizen with Canadian passport.

China consulate in Canada has stop issuing visa for HK born Canadian who either has a HPR or never been issued a China visa.
For those with HPR they will tell you to use that.
For those without HPR you will be issued a travel permit which let you enter China as a Chinese national, passport not withstanding. There is also a disclaimer sheet returned with passports with this permit to clarify the status of the traveller.

A treaty between Canada and China gives Canadian passport holders with valid visa rights of consular services in China even if they were born in HK and considered Chinese nationals. The exemption is if you hold a HPR.

If his other colleagues are travelling on a business visa he should apply for that together with documentation from his company and invitation letter.

Perfect answer! Just want to add on that China Consulate reject my friend's request in Canada back in Nov as he had the same statuses as the OP.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you have obtained an HRP you are basically agreeing with the PRC government that you are their citizen and the PRC is your "home".

So if you get one, use it, otherwise don't get one and fill out the Declaration of Change of Nationality to stop being a PRC citizen.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I am uncertain about situation for Canada, but for US:
* A friend's friend entered China on a US passport. He somehow also showed his HRP, which was then confiscated because he presented himself as a US citizen to a Chinese official.
* I exited China many times on my HRP. Occasionally they asked me for my passport because my HRP did not entitle to enter other countries. I showed them my US passport and usually they didn't bother to look.
* I flew TNA to TPE last December. The immigration agent did ask me to present my passport, and he did open my US passport. Although I had many Taiwan entry/exit stamps, I did not have any PRC stamps or visa. They seem to be more cautious these days.
* In US, airlines will scan my US passport when exiting US, and then TIMATIC will ask the agents to look for my Chinese visa. In order to avoid issues, I always fly through HKG if going to the Mainland. (I don't mind spending a couple of hours or days in Hong Kong .)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Yes, my place of birth is listed as Hong Kong. Sooooo, SOL then obtaining a visa then - this confirms what I've been told by many people. Should I be using the NEXUS/ABTC then? Thanks for the reply!
This HK born Canadian got a visa in Toronto.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...1496-k10118877

Also you can have your place of birth re-worded/removed from your Canadian passport. When a HK born person applies for a passport in person they always ask you about that, at least at the various Toronto area passport offices.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, quick update. Got invitation letters from all the factories I need to visit, will be using China Travel Services as the company has used them in the past. Will see what happens, worst case I get denied. We changed my itinerary so I fly into HKG first, I'll be taking the train into Guangzhou.

Since Canadians do not require a visa for HK, I should be able to present my Chinese visa at the border without trouble. I can also choose to use my HRP, but not both.

For the record, CTS requires my (original) HKID, Canadian citizenship card, Canadian passport and the application form with a list of my entire family's nationality(ies). Naturally I am going to put Canadian instead of Chinese, but all in all it's super annoying because I do not know if putting both will put my visa and perhaps other items at risk. Or if leaving one nationality out will do the same thing.

Politics.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.