Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tricky Visa Situation - Canadian Citizen with HKID (RoA) and HRP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
This HK born Canadian got a visa in Toronto.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...1496-k10118877

Also you can have your place of birth re-worded/removed from your Canadian passport. When a HK born person applies for a passport in person they always ask you about that, at least at the various Toronto area passport offices.
I just got my passport renewed, and while there is a form to delete your place of birth on the pp there's no provision to put another location on it IIRC. Also have read stories regarding denial simply because there was no place of birth listed.

Again, thanks for all the replies, there's no straight answer as everyone gets a bit different response from the authorities. I'm having a hard time trying to get a consistent answer ugh.

Last edited by burgerkong; Jan 28, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been trying to follow this conversation, but still don't understand why the OP wants a visa in the first place. I know many people with HRPs, including one of my best friends, and they tend to be better than visas across the board.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by burgerkong
Hi all, quick update. Got invitation letters from all the factories I need to visit, will be using China Travel Services as the company has used them in the past. Will see what happens, worst case I get denied. We changed my itinerary so I fly into HKG first, I'll be taking the train into Guangzhou.

Since Canadians do not require a visa for HK, I should be able to present my Chinese visa at the border without trouble. I can also choose to use my HRP, but not both.

For the record, CTS requires my (original) HKID, Canadian citizenship card, Canadian passport and the application form with a list of my entire family's nationality(ies). Naturally I am going to put Canadian instead of Chinese, but all in all it's super annoying because I do not know if putting both will put my visa and perhaps other items at risk. Or if leaving one nationality out will do the same thing.

Politics.....
I don't understand, why would you put misleading info on the Chinese visa application? You have Chinese nationality. They will suspect this whether you write it or not because your place of birth is HK.

You already have sufficient documents to enter China (HRP). What is the benefit to obtaining a visa, especially if you have to provide misleading info to the Chinese embassy to do so?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You already have sufficient documents to enter China (HRP). What is the benefit to obtaining a visa, especially if you have to provide misleading info to the Chinese embassy to do so?
Having a visa can reduce risk of denied boarding, but will risk loss of HRP.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I don't understand, why would you put misleading info on the Chinese visa application? You have Chinese nationality. They will suspect this whether you write it or not because your place of birth is HK.

Because ultimately they're two different things a business visa vs the HRP, and also I forfeit the right for Canadian protection. I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefits between the two. Also, putting China on the application form will automatically reject my application and land me in more doo doo mainly because Chinese nationals do not require a visa, unless they've renounced which in that case you can't put Chinese on the form either.

Furthermore, I also believe that HK citizens (born, acquired etc) are NOT Chinese nationals - since HK is a grey area/Special Administrative Region, hence I am not going to put Chinese next to Canadian on the form. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because ultimately they're two different things a business visa vs the HRP, and also I forfeit the right for Canadian protection. I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefits between the two. Also, putting China on the application form will automatically reject my application and land me in more doo doo mainly because Chinese nationals do not require a visa, unless they've renounced which in that case you can't put Chinese on the form either.

Furthermore, I also believe that HK citizens (born, acquired etc) are NOT Chinese nationals - since HK is a grey area/Special Administrative Region, hence I am not going to put Chinese next to Canadian on the form. Can anyone confirm?
By giving this "belief" a role in the decision calculus, you're possibly making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:17 am

China still does not allow Chinese nationals to have multiple nationalities. The 1996 NPC resolution allows Chinese nationals with permanent residency in Hong Kong and Macau to have foreign travel documents (including passports), but worded it in such a way that it did not contradict the single nationality policy. So putting down both Chinese and Canadian will likely get your application rejected.

However, China is getting stricter now. When I flew TNA-TPE, I presented my HRP when I exited China. They asked for the travel document to enter Taiwan. I handed the immigration officer my US passport. For the first time, he flipped over my passport. Fortunately I did not have any Chinese visa or entry/exit stamp. Otherwise I might lose my HRP (as happened before with my friend's friend). I don't know if that was only a one-time thing or if will continue to that.

If your destination is CAN, you can still fly to HKG and transit to CAN. You can use your Canadian passport for the first flight and HRP for the connection to CAN.

OTOH, if you don't think you are a Chinese national when entering China, you should not use the HRP because you will be treated as a non-resident Chinese national. However, as your HKID probably shows AZ or RZ, they may or may not ask for document showing your renunciation of Chinese nationality when you apply for a visa.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
A long time ago when I went to HK after a long time in Australia, I did not have a HRP but got myself a Visa to China using my Australian passport.

Since then I got myself a HRP and also HKSAR Passport (with my Australian passport), and i have always used HRP to enter and exit China, regardless to HKG, or other overseas ports (e.g. CAN-SIN or CAN-BKK).

I think even if you get a Visa on your Canadian Passport, because they know you are born in HK, they will still see you as Chinese citizens anyway, and they will find out that you have HRP by looking at records.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
A long time ago when I went to HK after a long time in Australia, I did not have a HRP but got myself a Visa to China using my Australian passport.

Since then I got myself a HRP and also HKSAR Passport (with my Australian passport), and i have always used HRP to enter and exit China, regardless to HKG, or other overseas ports (e.g. CAN-SIN or CAN-BKK).

I think even if you get a Visa on your Canadian Passport, because they know you are born in HK, they will still see you as Chinese citizens anyway, and they will find out that you have HRP by looking at records.
They will not see the person as a Chinese citizen once renounced.

I don't think they looked at birthplace a long time ago. Even now, I don't know if they are computerized enough, but should be able to check out once the applicant submit his/her HKID.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Update: Got my M 10 year visa, so all is fine . Used China Travel Services in Toronto for the record.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Update: Got my M 10 year visa, so all is fine . Used China Travel Services in Toronto for the record.
What employer supporting document did you provide?

This would be good for future references.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
What employer supporting document did you provide?

This would be good for future references.
Invitation letter from one of our factories and my Canadian citizenship card. Had to also provide my HKID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.