Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bund to PVG travel time

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

bund to PVG travel time

Hello Everyone. We are travelling ORD-PVG-NRT and NRT-PVG-ORD. We are staying overnight in Shanghai during both legs.

Is the baggage storage facility easily accesible ? Is there any advantage of leaving the bags at arrival vs departure ?

Our flight is 5:30 PM from Shanghai to Narita. If we leave the bund area around 1:30 PM, is that sufficient time to make it to airport and catch the flight ? We will go to the maglev station and catch the maglev.

While coming back, our Chicago flight is 11:30 AM from PVG. If we leave bund area at 7:30 AM is it sufficient ? Please advise as we are not aware about the traffic direction and security check lines. I am assuming 1 hr for travel to PVG and 3 hours for checkin etc.

Please advise.

Regards
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:00 am

Too early in my opinion. 2 hours ahead is plenty and it will take take than one hour to get to the airport.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Assuming you have to check-in, you should plan to arrive 2 hrs ahead at the airport. I don't know what the check-in cut-of time is for PVG, but you also have to account for a potential queue at check-in.

It takes about an hour to get to PVG from the bund, but that varies.

I always like to be conservative.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Assuming you have to check-in, you should plan to arrive 2 hrs ahead at the airport. I don't know what the check-in cut-of time is for PVG, but you also have to account for a potential queue at check-in.

It takes about an hour to get to PVG from the bund, but that varies.

I always like to be conservative.
I am the opposite, and I particularly dislike spending more time than necessary at PVG. I would aim to be there at t-80, and count on the taxi ride taking 50 minutes (this is a conservative estimate).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by moondog
I am the opposite, and I particularly dislike spending more time than necessary at PVG. I would aim to be there at t-80, and count on the taxi ride taking 50 minutes (this is a conservative estimate).
There may be traffic jam, and hailing a taxi for a visitor may not always be easy - can use Uber though. I have 滴滴出行 but still find that taxi is not always available when I need them in Beijing and Shanghai.

But again I am always conservative
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:11 am

@OP:

-unless you really want to experience the Maglev, you should plan on taking a taxi/didi to PVG
-I would be fine leaving at 815a myself
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by heman_s
Hello Everyone. We are travelling ORD-PVG-NRT and NRT-PVG-ORD. We are staying overnight in Shanghai during both legs.

Is the baggage storage facility easily accesible ? Is there any advantage of leaving the bags at arrival vs departure ?

Our flight is 5:30 PM from Shanghai to Narita. If we leave the bund area around 1:30 PM, is that sufficient time to make it to airport and catch the flight ? We will go to the maglev station and catch the maglev.

While coming back, our Chicago flight is 11:30 AM from PVG. If we leave bund area at 7:30 AM is it sufficient ? Please advise as we are not aware about the traffic direction and security check lines. I am assuming 1 hr for travel to PVG and 3 hours for checkin etc.

Please advise.

Regards
I would (and have) taken Maglev from the PVG airport, I would not take it to the airport, as it does not really save time (it gets you into the center of PVG airport between the terminals, then you need walk 5-15 min to ticket counters). Taxi will drive to the Terminal door (AA is T2 if I remember), and should be less than a hour. The AA flight, I have left from near the Hilton at 845am (from the Bund should the same or less travel time), get to PVG via Taxi before 945am, and had lots of time check in and no need to rush. In Shanghai I have not really had hard time get a Taxi, unlike Beijing which can tough at times.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Taipei
I would (and have) taken Maglev from the PVG airport, I would not take it to the airport, as it does not really save time (it gets you into the center of PVG airport between the terminals, then you need walk 5-15 min to ticket counters). Taxi will drive to the Terminal door (AA is T2 if I remember), and should be less than a hour. The AA flight, I have left from near the Hilton at 845am (from the Bund should the same or less travel time), get to PVG via Taxi before 945am, and had lots of time check in and no need to rush. In Shanghai I have not really had hard time get a Taxi, unlike Beijing which can tough at times.
The Bund --and also LJZ for that matter-- is closer to PVG than Jing'an, but travel times are a bit less predictable.

As an aside, Hilton loyalists should note that the escalators crossing Yan'an Road have been replaced with stairs. This makes the #2 bus significantly less attractive if you have luggage in tow.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
The Bund --and also LJZ for that matter-- is closer to PVG than Jing'an, but travel times are a bit less predictable.

As an aside, Hilton loyalists should note that the escalators crossing Yan'an Road have been replaced with stairs. This makes the #2 bus significantly less attractive if you have luggage in tow.
Yes, not nice crossing the road(I walk to a crossable area last few times) with the stairs, to be fair recently the escalators were seldom working. I do not think I will use the bus unless going to Malls(Kerry, ect) at the bus station, over time buses also not as good (ie not cleaned, old), also the City Air Terminal is now pretty much gone. Compared to other major Asian cities, Shanghai airport buses are in poor shape, so I prefer the Taxi (or line 2 or 10 if flying out of SHA to Japan/Korea).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Taipei
Yes, not nice crossing the road(I walk to a crossable area last few times) with the stairs, to be fair recently the escalators were seldom working. I do not think I will use the bus unless going to Malls(Kerry, ect) at the bus station, over time buses also not as good (ie not cleaned, old), also the City Air Terminal is now pretty much gone. Compared to other major Asian cities, Shanghai airport buses are in poor shape, so I prefer the Taxi (or line 2 or 10 if flying out of SHA to Japan/Korea).
The bus costs 15% the price of a taxi, and is comfortable enough for me.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The escalators are coming back! They have been installing them over the past week or so. I'd imagine they'll be available for use in a few weeks time.

For the OP. I am always a fan of the subway to maglev when going to PVG. Should take around 45 mins from Nanjing East and could be less then 30 if you get lucky with the train connections. Entering the terminal from the maglev station also seems to have less of a security check wait now that they are adding the extra check outside. Walk from the maglev to the check in counters should be less than 5 minutes for all able bodied adults.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:13 am

Apart from my intense dislike for line 2, I'd like to point out that NJ East Stn isn't especially close to the Bund. For people that are coming from the Bund itself, taxis win that race (v subway/maglev) 90% of the time. That having been said, whenever this topic pops up, it's obligatory to mention that the maglev is kind of cool if you catch one of the top speed trains (sadly, fewer and fewer).
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I actually never stay on the Puxi side when travelling out of PVG the same day. Pudong = PVG, Puxi = SHA, just makes life so much easier.

Even WUX and NKG are just a short bullet train & taxi (WUX) or subway (NKG) ride away. Worth to consider if business or private meetings extend to Jiangsu province anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:55 pm

Time wise, Ljz to PVG isn't appreciably faster than jing'an, xuhui, huangpu, luwan to PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.