Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eChannel using passports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: United Rewards Program
which US Passport page to have scanned?

I attempted to enroll in the Echannel program. The employee just tried to scan the picture page and it did not work. Can anyone confirm which page on a new US passport has the chip that needs to be scanned?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:12 am

The chip is in the back cover.

The OCR stuff is on the picture page.

They might use both to make sure they match.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: United Rewards Program
thanks

I will go back to the enrolling agency and try again.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:57 am

Entered China through CAN airport using the automatic gate yesterday and it worked OK, but had problems with the staff there insisting that the gates were only for Chinese and physically trying to block me from going to the auto gates.
In the end they let me through and were shocked (as in literally gasping with surprise) when the gates opened for me.

Moral: don't let the staff at the airports see the passport you're carrying, just take it out once you get to the auto gate.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KIXman
Entered China through CAN airport using the automatic gate yesterday and it worked OK, but had problems with the staff there insisting that the gates were only for Chinese and physically trying to block me from going to the auto gates.
In the end they let me through and were shocked (as in literally gasping with surprise) when the gates opened for me.

Moral: don't let the staff at the airports see the passport you're carrying, just take it out once you get to the auto gate.
I don't think the staff will need to see my passport to tell that I'm not Chinese

Anyhow, I was finally able to use the gates at PVG with absolutely no problems yesterday. Made it through in about 10 seconds. Even though I had to register 2 times and I'll no doubt have to do it again in a few months when I renew my visa and passport, that 10 second journey through PVG immigration whilst there was a huge line for foreigners made it all worth while!
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
- a foreign national holding an electronic passport
- a residence permit valid for more than 6 months
- 7 years old and more
For the residence permit, is this something outside whatever visa you have in your passport, or does your work visa suffice?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by YariGuy
For the residence permit, is this something outside whatever visa you have in your passport, or does your work visa suffice?
RP's used to be separate booklet, but since 2005 are in the passport. This is what takes the place of the Z visa after you enter China and go through the hoops to get fully registered. The Z is cancelled. The "Residence Permit for Foreigners" takes its place.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:28 pm

Registered for E-Channel at PVG T2. Registration is at passport control booths 79 and 80 and is a quick 10 minute process after which E-Channel can immediately be used.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Hi gang. Does anyone know if it's possible to register at PEK?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine has worked a few times coming into PVG but I tried to use it at PEK the other day and it didn't work. I asked the guard there what was up and he told me "Maybe your's only works in Shanghai, go to the normal line". Basically gave me the old, "I don't want to deal with it so I'll make up an excuse".

So the system still has bugs. I'll see if it works when I next enter at PVG. Supposedly they are instituting it for exits now as well although we'll see if that comes about.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Got registered for this in January at PVG. Pretty smooth process for me. Only delay was that I had a family of four in front of me getting registered, so it took a while as the officer did their applications one by one. Could use the eChannel gates straight away and it worked first time.

Auto gates worked for me today when I came into GZ from HK

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far though, is how long the validity period of the auto gate registration is. I suppose it's linked to the expiry date of the visa you have, but that wasn't brought up by staff when I did my registration.
I haven't seen a clear answer on this either. Since they use the chip in your passport to store the fingerprint information, I'm hoping that it should last as long as your passport (assuming you also have a valid qualifying visa, of course). It'd be pretty disappointing/pointless if you had to re-register every 12 months.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:40 am

Update on validity of registration, it seems like the use of auto gates is linked to the expiry date of the visa you have when you do your registration.

I tried entering using the auto gates a few days back, just after the expiry date shown on my previous visa (but having a new and valid visa), and the gates wouldn't open for me. Same thing happened to a friend under the same circumstances. I'll go about doing the registration again next time I come back from some trip overseas.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:47 am

Update on validity of registration, it seems like the use of auto gates is linked to the expiry date of the visa you have when you do your registration.

I tried entering using the auto gates a few days back, just after the expiry date shown on my previous visa (but having a new and valid visa), and the gates wouldn't open for me. Same thing happened to a friend under the same circumstances. I'll go about doing the registration again next time I come back from some trip overseas.
That's ridiculous. Makes the whole thing a waste of time for many who could use it. Why couldn't the PSB just update the passport chip when the visa gets renewed? Indeed, they could just do it automatically for all Z/qualified visas without messing about registering people at the airport.

A potentially great idea ruined by the execution.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanpodge
That's ridiculous. Makes the whole thing a waste of time for many who could use it. Why couldn't the PSB just update the passport chip when the visa gets renewed? Indeed, they could just do it automatically for all Z/qualified visas without messing about registering people at the airport.

A potentially great idea ruined by the execution.
It's still a great idea, nothing wrong with re-registering every year. It only takes a few minutes and gives you line-skipping privelages for a year. I'm glad China has implemented this and can't wait for them to implement it upon departure as well!
Old May 11, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It's still a great idea, nothing wrong with re-registering every year. It only takes a few minutes and gives you line-skipping privelages for a year. I'm glad China has implemented this and can't wait for them to implement it upon departure as well!
Depends. I'd only be traveling overseas maybe twice a year on average. If one of those times is having to be spent registering for eChannel (which may take about as long as just going through the regular queue anyway), it's hard to see why it's worth the bother.

Like I said, they should just do the registration process as part of the visa renewal process at the PSB. Basically just automate the process. No airport registration required. Much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.