Wiki Posts
Search

eChannel using passports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

eChannel using passports

While I realize this program is pretty new, I'm curious to hear experiences wrt to enrollment, and how it works in practice at various entry/exit points.

I'm not planning on availing of it myself until my current visa expires (at which point, I will get a new passport).
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:50 am

For those who may not be aware, the eChannel program was recently expanded to allow foreigners who satisfy the following conditions to use the automatic gate after registration:

- a foreign national holding an electronic passport
- a residence permit valid for more than 6 months
- 7 years old and more

Foreign Passengers Meeting Certain Conditions Able to Use Self-Service Channels at Ports in China
http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/lis...?lx=40&id=4688

I have a friend who was able to register in Shenzhen but have yet to hear if there were any wrinkles in using it at the gate.
I also tried registering at Shanghai Hongqiao T1 but was told there that they couldn't do it there; I'm planning to try checking Pudong later in the week.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure you can only enroll in Shenzhen (including SZX) and Zhuhai at present.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:55 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by KIXman
I'm planning to try checking Pudong later in the week.
8/20
The immigration inspection station at Shanghai Pudong International Airport yesterday expanded its self-service entry inspection channels to foreigners holding electronic passports who have residence permits for six months or longer.
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/p.../shdaily.shtml

Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked at Pudong a few days ago after getting my passport stamped. The immigration officer told me that I should have asked before going through immigration so that they could have set me up then and there. Now I need to wait until the next time I go through Pudong to get registered. There is a one page form you need to fill in which the immigration dude was happy to give to me.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I asked at Pudong a few days ago after getting my passport stamped. The immigration officer told me that I should have asked before going through immigration so that they could have set me up then and there. Now I need to wait until the next time I go through Pudong to get registered. There is a one page form you need to fill in which the immigration dude was happy to give to me.
That's good to know. I'll try it out next time I pass by Pudong too.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:36 pm

Had a reason to be at Pudong (landslide) and checked around where the registration area was, unfortunately seems to be after boarding pass check (and I suppose before passport check). Looks like I'll have to wait a bit more before I can try registering.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a reason to be at Pudong (landslide) and checked around where the registration area was, unfortunately seems to be after boarding pass check (and I suppose before passport check). Looks like I'll have to wait a bit more before I can try registering.
I tried to register last time going through PVG on arrival. I went to the desk and they took all my info and my fingerprints and told me I was good to go and to use the machines to go through the border. I put my passport into the reader and a message popped up saying I wasn't registered. I went back to the desk that helped me and they told me it must not have updated in the system yet and to go through the immigration desks the normal way this time and try and use the echannel next time I'm arriving in PVG as they believe the system will have updated by then. I'm not too confident but I'll post an update

By the way the echannel is only on arrival, there is no echannel on departure, even for Chinese.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:26 pm

I tried to register last time going through PVG on arrival. I went to the desk and they took all my info and my fingerprints and told me I was good to go and to use the machines to go through the border. I put my passport into the reader and a message popped up saying I wasn't registered. I went back to the desk that helped me and they told me it must not have updated in the system yet and to go through the immigration desks the normal way this time and try and use the echannel next time I'm arriving in PVG as they believe the system will have updated by then. I'm not too confident but I'll post an update

By the way the echannel is only on arrival, there is no echannel on departure, even for Chinese.
From a friend I heard it may take 24hrs for the registration info to be recognized in their system.

BTW there's a registration desk before entering China through PVG too? In case I miss the desk on my way out of China next time, I'll try finding that on on my way back in.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a friend I heard it may take 24hrs for the registration info to be recognized in their system.

BTW there's a registration desk before entering China through PVG too? In case I miss the desk on my way out of China next time, I'll try finding that on on my way back in.
Just walk over to the gates and tell the guard there you want to register.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:35 pm

Checked at PVG before exiting China today and the staff there said the registration gate for PVG is only before the passport check before entering China. Staff seemed to think that only Chinese could use the automatic gates though; you wish they were more briefed about the situation, also that there would be more explanation posters, public information etc about where to go to for registration.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated experience today. I had previously registered and it didn't work and they told me perhaps the computer hadn't updated and to try it again next time I entered PVG. Well, today was "next time". I went to the empty e gates and tried to use my passport. A message came up saying I wasn't in the system, which was the same message I got last time. I had to go over to the registration booth again and tell the immigration guy there that I registered before and he looked up my passport info in the system.

At first he said there was no record of me, then after a few more minutes of checking, he said that indeed I was in the system but for some reason it wasn't working. The guy then re-input all of my information into the computer and told me to try again. He walked my passport over to one of the gates and put it on the reader. The gates opened and I walked through by putting my thumbprint on the reader. The agent then took my passport to another group of agents to have them type more information into the system. Those agents seemed to have no clue what was going on and looked at my passport and typed into the computer for a few minutes before giving me back my passport and telling me, "I'm not sure if it will work next time or not".

All in all I'm beginning to think it is not worth the effort. Another thing is that you don't get a passport stamp which will no doubt drive some clerk at a hotel in Beijing nuts when they try to locate your "entry date". I will have to see how this works in practice when I venture to the capital again.

I arrived early morning today and was one of the first off the plane. If I'd just gone through the normal passport processing line, I'd have been out of the airport in 5 minutes. This ordeal took 25 minutes.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Another thing is that you don't get a passport stamp which will no doubt drive some clerk at a hotel in Beijing nuts when they try to locate your "entry date".
That has never been a problem so far. I have had no Chinese stamps in my passport for a few years because I always cross from HK driving a car. Just tell the clerk you used the e-gate with the fingerprint. Your details get send to the PSB anyway and the system has your entry record, so it will go through. Only hassle is renewing your visa, because you need to have the Entry/Exit bureau print out the record to show your last entry. Usually takes some time to find an officer who actually knows what to do.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:42 am

Finally got to register at PVG airport, but as usual staff on hand were a bit unsure at the start as to whether foreigners could register or not.
At T1 where I did my registration, the registration booth is one of those normal passport stamping booths right beside the automatic gates at the left side of the immigration hall. Registration is done landside. Before having passport stamped for entry into China, staff at the automatic gates had me fill up a form for agreement to use personal details. Needed info was basic, like name, bday, passport no. etc.
Then I was instructed to go to the foreigner gates and do regular entry into China (passport stamping) after which I had to come back to the registration booth next to the automatic gates (landside area).
There, a staff member at the booth next to the automatic gates made some confirmation calls to someone, probably to see if I satisfied requirements for registration, after which he scanned my passport, took my thumbprints and facial picture.
He said I should be able to use the gates next time, looking forward to trying it out.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:56 am

Auto gates worked for me today when I came into GZ from HK

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far though, is how long the validity period of the auto gate registration is. I suppose it's linked to the expiry date of the visa you have, but that wasn't brought up by staff when I did my registration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.