Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Hangzhou (HGH) to Shanghai late night shuttles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hangzhou (HGH) to Shanghai late night shuttles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ausriver
You don't fly into a near by city that is 200km away from you at late night.
Why not?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:05 am

I don't see any grounds for criticizing a poster for going a bit out of his way to save $200.

I'd do it, and do do it. But I know some won't. So what. How someone spends or doesn't spend their own hard-earned money is really a personal decision.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: various
It is a very poor decision because to start with, OP wanted to save $200.

It is a very poor decision because OP arrived so late with no way of getting home at a reasonable cost.

You don't fly into a near by city that is 200km away from you at late night. Even if a night bus was available, it will be so tired that you need another 2 hours bus ride followed by maybe 30 minutes taxi.
OP should rather stay one extra day in Thailand and then fly into PVG/SHA the next morning or afternoon.
And that last stupidest move was try to get someone to split taxi on board, it seems no one else was so stupid to try to get to Shanghai by flying into HGH.

My, aren't we crabby and judgmental. Why such a Grinch?

There's nothing stupid or poorly-decided about the situation. I could totally see myself doing this same gambit, as long as I didn't need to be in Shanghai until 08:00 the next morning. $200 in savings would be a significant amount of money for me, staying in a Hangzhou hotel vs a Shanghai hotel wouldn't be a sacrifice (note that your comment above is incorrect, OP wasn't "getting home" to Shanghai), and being able to get from Chiang Mai to close to target without having to connect in BKK, HKG, or elsewhere, is a plus. Catching a fast train Hangzhou-Shanghai early the next morning is like falling off a log, D/G trains make the distance insignificant. I've had shorter km journeys across Beijing city that were more arduous and time-consuming!

I thought his effort to canvass all the possibilities in real-time--such as check out fellow passengers for possible ride sharing to Shanghai--was smart, even if it didn't work out this time. Initiative and thinking on one's feet when China-travelling is to be praised, not scorned.

Last edited by jiejie; Dec 25, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:01 am

Had to say, that's was one of the stupidest move I've seen on FT. I doubt you saved any money.
If I'm not mistaken, you are the poster who proclaimed that no restaurants were open after 9p in Shanghai. During the course of my 17 years on FT, I actually have seen dumber ideas, but less than a handful.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
If I'm not mistaken, you are the poster who proclaimed that no restaurants were open after 9p in Shanghai. During the course of my 17 years on FT, I actually have seen dumber ideas, but less than a handful.
I think you were mistaken.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: various
I think you were mistaken.
Actually, @moondog's memory is quite accurate. See your own post #5 of thread below. "....only street food would be available..."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...oing-city.html
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
Actually, @moondog's memory is quite accurate. See your own post #5 of thread below. "....only street food would be available..."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...oing-city.html

Great memories
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
You guys have been in China for so long you assume we're always trying to save money

Sure, I saved a bit, but the main reason I booked a flight into HGH was:

1) When I booked >3 months out, there were no direct flights to Shanghai being sold.

2) Since I would be in Chiang Mai for ~24 hours, I wanted as late a departure as possible.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by BUMBLES
Train works well.
.... during the daytime, when you are near a train station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.