Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What's w Chinese Domestic Flights and No Booze?

Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

I don't get it: no booze is available (besides beer) in China domestic premium class lounges or or any Chinese domestic premium class flights that I have traveled, including some longish flights in biz or first class.

It's not like the same airlines don't serve a full bar on their international flights, or that the Chinese consumer doesn't drink.

What's the story here?

BTW. what's the difference between domestic first or business class? I was on a biz class flight that was nicer than a previous first class flight. Both were two cabin 737s.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:48 am

Chinese passengers are bad enough, lets not give them booze.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:37 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
j
What's with the most advanced highspeed rail system in the world and they only serve warm beer?

What's with people eating food with their hands and not using utensils? Ie chop sticks
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by nologic
I don't get it: no booze is available (besides beer) in China domestic premium class lounges or or any Chinese domestic premium class flights that I have traveled, including some longish flights in biz or first class.

It's not like the same airlines don't serve a full bar on their international flights, or that the Chinese consumer doesn't drink.

What's the story here?

BTW. what's the difference between domestic first or business class? I was on a biz class flight that was nicer than a previous first class flight. Both were two cabin 737s.
On a domestic flight with a 2-class cabin business and first are the same product.

A few of the domestic contract lounges at small airports serve no alcohol but most have beer. I have been in some where they had no refrigerated beverages though one by one they are being upgraded. Given how crappy the wine usually is when it is available in the lounge, I would not be in a rush to try anything harder!

Every flight I have been on in domestic business or first has had beer and wine. This is actually a step up from 5 or 10 years ago when there was sometimes nothing alcoholic or just warm beer. Compared to flying domestically in Malaysia or many countries in the Middle East or North Africa, this ain't so bad.

I guess it comes down to your frame of reference. For me, I see a lot or improvement in domestic airlines' performance.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had wine served with meals on domestic CZ flights in business and FC. The wine glasses used are very small and FAs serve very small amounts of wine with each refill.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Given how crappy the wine usually is when it is available in the lounge, I would not be in a rush to try anything harder!
+1.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
. Given how crappy the wine usually is when it is available in the lounge, I would not be in a rush to try anything harder!
Great Wall Wine - Served to Heads of State.

It was duly noted by the International Press (The Diplomat, November 27, 2009) that the Great Wall wine was served to president Barack Obama during his official dinner with President Hu Jintao (now "retired") during the official State Dinner.

the points guy CA SFO-PEK

On the second drink service, I opted for wine without knowing whether it would be red or white. Fortunately,
it ended up being a decent red house wine to pair with my meal: Great Wall Cabernet Sauvignon

I decided to forgo the only wine choice – Great Wall Wine from China – before the flight.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/flig...#ixzz4FviZ6Jzz
Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-...#ixzz4FvgLNgGR

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jul 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had Great Wall vintage Cabernet Sauvignon that wasn't bad, especially for the price.

There's at least one winery, operated by foreigners in China, that produces generally decent wines. They're used as the house wine in one of the French chains, perhaps Sofitel, in mainland China.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:05 pm

Often the Chinese wine is mixed with imported wine. I don't even dare use Great Wall wine for sauce. I was once given a bottle of a certain wine reserved for high level officials in the central government. I was drinkable.
Even decent wines in very decent restaurants (such as Capital M) is served at room temperature. Awful.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:18 pm

I have had snake wine a few times in China.
I thinks its actually in hard liquor...not wine
It does have quite a bite to it.
Not legal to import to US.

However there was a guy in Tex selling rattlesnake in Vodka a while back.

Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had Great Wall vintage Cabernet Sauvignon that wasn't bad, especially for the price.

There's at least one winery, operated by foreigners in China, that produces generally decent wines. They're used as the house wine in one of the French chains, perhaps Sofitel, in mainland China.
Originally Posted by JPDM
Often the Chinese wine is mixed with imported wine. I don't even dare use Great Wall wine for sauce. I was once given a bottle of a certain wine reserved for high level officials in the central government. I was drinkable.
Even decent wines in very decent restaurants (such as Capital M) is served at room temperature. Awful.
Mixed with Coke it is rather dinkable!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: various
I don't see that many people (men) even drinking beer on domestic flights so I'm not sure there would be a huge demand for the hard stuff even if it was available. Actually, I am very relieved that Chinese domestic flights remain hard-liquor free. IME Chinese don't hold their liquor well, and I shudder to think...

I don't find this a hardship though I am not much of a drinker and especially not on airplanes whether short or long haul. Chinese flights for me are usually pleasantly uneventful and I'd like to keep them that way. Now USA domestic flights is another story--generally after I disembark, that's when I feel the need for a stiff drink to help recuperate.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I have had snake wine a few times in China.
I thinks its actually in hard liquor...not wine
It does have quite a bite to it.
Not legal to import to US.

However there was a guy in Tex selling rattlesnake in Vodka a while back.

OMG you are way braver than I am.

I do recall getting beer on domestic China flights, but that was over 1.5 years ago.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Great Wall Wine - Served to Heads of State.

It was duly noted by the International Press (The Diplomat, November 27, 2009) that the Great Wall wine was served to president Barack Obama during his official dinner with President Hu Jintao (now "retired") during the official State Dinner.

the points guy CA SFO-PEK

On the second drink service, I opted for wine without knowing whether it would be red or white. Fortunately,
it ended up being a decent red house wine to pair with my meal: Great Wall Cabernet Sauvignon

I decided to forgo the only wine choice – Great Wall Wine from China – before the flight.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/flig...#ixzz4FviZ6Jzz
Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-...#ixzz4FvgLNgGR
This is a popular table wine in China: retail is probably around RMB 100ish. This will be light colored and thin, somewhat acidic, but not unlike $10-15 cabs in the US. The majority of the China market is dominated by wines like this, but there are numerous excellent premium Chinese red and white wines in the RMB 200 and up range and extremely good Cab and Cab blends in the RMB 350-500 range.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:13 am

Greatwall is perfectly drinkable, and honestly, I've seen much worse wines in lounges all across the world.

By now, usually they do have cold beer (they do learn ) ready, at least in the lounges it's been a while since I've not had properly cold beer.

Yes, on the flights, quite often the drinks (soft and beer) aren't properly cooled. Not nice, but.. at least even in Y you get a beer.

Compare it to MH / Malaysia, where you won't get even a beer on a flight in Business class (up to 3 hours).. I think TG made their domestic lounges completely dry as well. India? Drinking age in lounges is 25, etc.

Don't compare Chinese domestic flights / Chinese lounge offerings with, say, the Silverkris in SIN or the EK DXB ones... but do compare them with regional ones from similar levels, and you'll be quite pleased in comparison..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.