Search

Chinese Coffee Tables

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Chinese Coffee Tables

Anyone know if such tables are still produced and where I can get them for cheaper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Chin...-/201523146283

The one above is old (1930's?) and expensive.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Anyone know if such tables are still produced and where I can get them for cheaper?

Try panjiayuan in Bj or the gubei furniture district in Sh, but don't expect spectacular bargains any more.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: various
The one on ebay, if it's in great condition, is IMO a very good price at $600 + $500 shipping. You're not going to find any substantial bargains on this in China even on newly-made versions, and the shipping + Customs into the USA will be a chunk of change. I'd source from somewhere in the USA, trawl the internet for some Chinese furniture importers who might have something in stock or can locate something and put it on their next container load from China so they deal with shipping/Customs.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:22 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Try craigslist. Chinese furniture is not a quick seller. You have to sit on it for years to sell it high. Adhuntr.com has listings for all craigslist.

Small old Chinese items you can find cheap on ebay. People find them in an attic and just want to sell off quick.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by UA Fan

This, if genuine, would sell for many times that price if it was in a major city with buyers who know what it is or even more at a major Asian city's auction.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
That's rosewood furniture with inlaid mother of pearl. I know a friend who manufactures new replicas in southern China and imports them here to North America. He has a store in L.A. and sells retail and wholesale all over U.S. and Canada. Caveat emptor, there are lots of nice-looking rosewood furniture that, if you look underneath, is actually plywood with a thin rosewood veneer. Solid rosewood is very heavy, and if you accidentally kick it with your foot or bump your knee into it, you will feel the pain. I have several rosewood furniture at home (I'm typing on a rosewood desk right now), and I would advise that you physically examine the piece before committing into it.

If you are in Dallas, I don't know a rosewood furniture store locally. But IIRC there are several in Bellaire in Houston.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Jun 20, 2016 at 10:55 am Reason: clarify
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
This, if genuine, would sell for many times that price if it was in a major city with buyers who know what it is or even more at a major Asian city's auction.
Like you and jiejie, my initial reaction to the eBay listing in the OP was that it seems like a very good deal on the surface (though, in the absence of well crafted questions to the seller, it's impossible to say for sure).

When it comes to furniture that you're actually going to use, genuine v. new has never been a huge concern for me. Basically, the people who restore antiques also make replicas using the same materials, and tend to know their stuff.

The numbers for resale abroad worked out quite nicely 15 years ago:
-e.g. canopy opium beds that cost $350 in Beijing and $600 in Shanghai (slightly better quality) sold for $4500 in the US (easily), and shipping to port cities was less than $200/unit (free for returning expats that had excess container space)

But, it didn't take long for the folks at Panjiayuan to realize that arbitrage was taking place, and begin catering to demand abroad (i.e. work less, charge more). Consequently, it's now difficult to find the same opium beds for less than ~$1200.

All that having been said, I certainly don't want to discourage the OP from visiting furniture markets/districts. Even if he doesn't find great deals for himself, he will surely enjoy the experience more than checking off another random temple (assuming he appreciates Chinese furniture).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:28 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
The numbers for resale abroad worked out quite nicely 15 years ago:
-e.g. canopy opium beds that cost $350 in Beijing and $600 in Shanghai (slightly better quality) sold for $4500 in the US (easily),.
I just recently sold an opium bed I bought in Beijing 18 years ago and used
for a film shoot. Paid 600 + freight 500 in 1999. Ended up selling it for $600, took 4 months, in LA... a city of millions of Chinese.

It was identical to the ones advertised for $4500 - $7500...but you got to
have a gallery/shop and several years to find a buyer that will pay that price.

Was similar to this but mine better condition

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jun 20, 2016 at 11:51 am
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
In China they're called tea tables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.