Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing Capital Airport Customs

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Asiana Club
Beijing Capital Airport Customs

I haven't yet flown through the Capital Airport in Beijing since the new tax laws went into effect last month, however I've read in Chinese news sources that the lines through customs have become much longer (whereas in the past customs inspections were nonexistent). I've got to get to the Beijing South Rail Station within 2 hours after my arrival in Beijing, which used to be possible, & I'll be flying into Bejing in early June. I'm wondering whether anyone who has flown into Beijing recently can tell me whether the lines through customs are long & how long it took to get through customs. Thanks very much.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:26 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
According to China Daily.

This is how customs inspectors conduct their search.

"The photo was later on proved to be snapped in Shanghai Pudong International Airport, and the Shanghai Customs said it was just a normal routine of checking up tourist's luggages.

The luggage checked up in the photo was containing boxes of beauty products the tourists bought from South Korea. The beauty products were piled up in different categories simply for the convenience of inspection.
"

Name:  b083fe955fd818742c9d01.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  176.3 KB
Old May 21, 2016, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I entered China at PVG last week, and things weren't noticeably different on the customs front (I.e. almost nonexistent, though the officers were semi diligent about making sure larger bags pass through the x-ray). If I were the OP, and assuming no APEC card, I'd be more worried about border control than customs because it can get backed up. Road traffic is also a potential issue, of course.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
PEK still loves Americans, and will treat us nice, carry your gift in luggage, they hate cardboard boxes..

Want to bring in a Rolex as a gift, put it on your wrist..
Old May 21, 2016, 9:26 pm

Travel Arbitrage

I think one of the more common items are cosmetics.

Name:  7ec6c43e-6f07-42a0-b124-49805c366930.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  36.4 KB
Old May 21, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
According to China Daily.

This is how customs inspectors conduct their search.

"The photo was later on proved to be snapped in Shanghai Pudong International Airport, and the Shanghai Customs said it was just a normal routine of checking up tourist's luggages.

The luggage checked up in the photo was containing boxes of beauty products the tourists bought from South Korea. The beauty products were piled up in different categories simply for the convenience of inspection.
"

Attachment 12206
Not sure this is correct. This pic has been all over different websites in China. some say that people were just throwing away their stuff before inspection because of the tax. But then again opinions vary as to what this really is.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I went through customs in PEK in April, passing through during the early afternoon. There were two queues for the x-ray scanners, the big ones that you just plop your luggage on the belt at near-ground level. Each queue was about 15-persons deep. AFAIK no one's bags were opened and the contents dumped onto the floor. I'd figure an extra 10 minutes tops to get through it.

Getting to Beijing South in 2 hours is somewhat sketchy. Do they include times at immigration and the baggage carousel? I had a similar itinerary in which I, too, went directly to Beijing South to catch a D train to Taiyuan. I had figured a 4H30M cushion, and I ended up getting there 3 hours after the arrival at PEK. It included ~15 minutes when the airport expressway came to a complete standstill for reasons I never found out. Some drivers even got out of their cars to smoke and/or relieve themselves against the barriers on the shoulder.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
Not sure this is correct. This pic has been all over different websites in China. some say that people were just throwing away their stuff before inspection because of the tax. But then again opinions vary as to what this really is.
It appears as though there are 2 customs inspectors inventorying the contents of the suit cases.

Name:  1460412909432.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  144.6 KB

Another example at PVG that contraband is inventoried on the floor.

Name:  cef4999d-558b-4400-b9b5-a284fcbc6e59.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  45.4 KB
Old May 22, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
When I went through PVG T2 Customs last week it was a bit of a zoo. By the looks of things a guy had come in from Africa connecting in Dubai on Emirates and had at least two suitcases largely filled with animal horns wrapped in his clothing.

It was being sorted on metal tables against the wall, nothing was on the floor. His whole group was being carefully screened and at least 10 policemen had been called in as backup. They had someone from Emirates there and they kept asking why the screening in DXB had not picked this up but the unfortunate Emirates person had no idea. And of course the guy was saying the horns were not his and someone else must have put them in his suitcases.

Despite this process going on they still searched a good number of other incoming passengers and I say good for them, it is about time they get stricter on these things.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
It appears as though there are 2 customs inspectors inventorying the contents of the suit cases.

Attachment 12433

Another example at PVG that contraband is inventoried on the floor.

Attachment 12434
Respectfully, I don't know how these photos of unknown origin help answer the question of the OP. We don't know what happened. Let's hear from someone who was there or passed customs recently. That would be more useful.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
Respectfully, I don't know how these photos of unknown origin help answer the question of the OP. We don't know what happened. Let's hear from someone who was there or passed customs recently. That would be more useful.
I have witnessed floor sorting on multiple occasions, but agree with your indirect suggestion that the specific nature of the procedures shouldn't be of great concern to the OP.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I have witnessed floor sorting on multiple occasions.
Have seen floor sorting "searches" with K9s, but not sprawling of contents of
suitcases dumped by 代购.

Name:  xin_1712030109308921651316.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  103.5 KB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.