Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting in PVG question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Transiting in PVG question

I recently flew from YYZ-HKG via PVG on Air Canada. Air Canada said that my bags will be tagged to PVG because I was going to have to clear customs, collect baggage, and re-check them in to HKG.

When I arrived in PVG, the layout was right to customs, then baggage claim, and then out of the restricted area. I did not see any corridors that mentioned connecting flights.

But people are telling me that I exited customs when I shouldnt have, and that connecting flights to other international destinations would not require the hassle of reentering customs and collectionfG baggage. I am not clear water is correct. Was I blind not to see the connecting corridor or was I correct to exit and reenter ?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
PVG is Pudong International Airport at Shanghai, China. You have posted the question on Japan forum...?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:03 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Moving to the China forum...

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheSinister
I recently flew from YYZ-HKG via PVG on Air Canada. Air Canada said that my bags will be tagged to PVG because I was going to have to clear customs, collect baggage, and re-check them in to HKG.

When I arrived in PVG, the layout was right to customs, then baggage claim, and then out of the restricted area. I did not see any corridors that mentioned connecting flights.

But people are telling me that I exited customs when I shouldnt have, and that connecting flights to other international destinations would not require the hassle of reentering customs and collectionfG baggage. I am not clear water is correct. Was I blind not to see the connecting corridor or was I correct to exit and reenter ?
There's a transit desk located in the hallway after you get off the aircraft and head towards the immigration area. You should have gone there, received your BP for your connecting flight, went up the escalator to re-clear security, then board your next flight. The bags should have been transferred all the way through.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
There's a bit of information missing. It seems that your bags were only tagged to PVG as you were going PVG-HKG on a carrier that AC doesn't have an interlink agreement with. Was your PVG flight going out if T2 or T1. If T1, you would have had to enter China anyway since there is no way to make a secure transfer between the two terminals.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by TheSinister

How long did the transit process take you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.