Reload this Page >

LJG vs KWL

LJG vs KWL

Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:11 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
LJG vs KWL

For visiting Li Jiang / Guilin, which airport better to fly into?

I want to go somewhere with this view

And this

Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:14 pm

This is around Guilin so this is where you fly. Lijiang is very far from there.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

But the first one is from Lijiang, right? I can see that in Guilin as well?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
LJG is airport for the city of Lijiang 丽江 in Yunnan. Your photo is of the Li 漓(different character) River (jiang 江) in Guangxi, outside Guilin (KWL).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:10 am
qpr

Both pics are taken in Guangxi.
So you better fly into Guilin.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:36 am

Right, the Lijiang river and the city of Lijiang are two totally different places. These photos are all around Guilin.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:36 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rkkwan
LJG is airport for the city of Lijiang 丽江 in Yunnan. Your photo is of the Li 漓(different character) River (jiang 江) in Guangxi, outside Guilin (KWL).
I did not know there are two Li Jiang... Not having known the Chinese names certainly did not help. KWL it is then!

Will going to Guilin require a personal driver, or can there be taxi found to go to these scenic places?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:29 am
qpr

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I did not know there are two Li Jiang... Not having known the Chinese names certainly did not help. KWL it is then!
LiJiang in Yunnan is a city, Li River in Guilin is.. .well a river.

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Will going to Guilin require a personal driver, or can there be taxi found to go to these scenic places?
I would recommend to stay in Yangshuo and Guilin.
You can take a boat or a bamboo from Guilin to Yangshuo on the Li river (the bamboo is just using the half way to Yangshuo but is not so overcrowded as the boat from Guilin).
In Yangshuo you can rent a bike or an ebike to enjoy the scenic.
Otherwise every hotel is offering tours to the scenic spots.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The karst hills in both photos are from areas near Guilin. The city itself is charming by Chinese standards, but it's not spectacularly scenic as one would have fancied. Instead, you would need to go outside of the city, at least to a town called Yangshuo. Very popular with both Chinese and Westerners, it's a great place to rent a bike and just ride around the countryside. A littler farther from Yangshuo is Xingping, a smaller, more charming town that's arguably the better place to view the karst hills via the bamboo raft on Lijiang (Li River, not Lijiang, the town, in Yunnan province). Near Xingping's boat dock is the location depicted on the 20RMB bill. There are also good hiking opportunities in Xingping.

If you devote 4-7 days, you can fly into KWL and experience all 3 of Guilin, Yangshuo, and Xingping. My personal experience: I went directly to Xingping first (KWL airport into Guilin city, bus to Yangshuo, and then a rickety bus to Xingping). Oneway bamboo raft up the Li River, and then hike back into town (iirc, there is also a tram that travels at least part of the way along the river). In Yangshuo, there are lots more outdoor activities that can be arranged (rock climbing, paragliding, etc.). Rental bikes are everywhere for $2/day (and that was probably on the expensive side). Cormorant fishing is actually now an evening performance. I don't know exactly where it takes place, but you can arrange it from your hotel in either Yangshuo or Xingping.
Safe travels!

Xingping, Guangxi
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Lots of good info here, thank you! I am currently planning to spend 3 nights in Guilin and area, could stretch to four if must. But when I travel, I don't like to be in the same place for too long because I get bored easily. I will look into this more and post back if I have more questions. Thank you for all the info so far!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:21 am
qpr

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I went directly to Xingping first (KWL airport into Guilin city, bus to Yangshuo, and then a rickety bus to Xingping).
Since January you can take the train from Guilin to Xingping (Yangshuo Railway Station).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by qpr
Since January you can take the train from Guilin to Xingping (Yangshuo Railway Station).
Thanks for this info. Now with the HSR, it will probably mean that Xingping's days as a sleepy little town are numbered.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

What's the quickest way from Guilin to Yangshuo? Hired driver? So it is possible to do a daytrip to Yangshuo if based in Guilin?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:43 pm

I don't think the "highway" between Guilin and Yangshuo has been improved much, so that it's still about a 1.5 hour drive each way. A daytrip from Guilin is definitely doable, but depending on what you want to see and do in Yangshuo, imo it's better to spend at least a night there.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:01 pm
qpr

I wouldn´t do a daytrip to Yangshuo as there´s a lot to see.

Rent a bike for a day and cycle the area.
You´ll enjoy it.

Iwould stay stay there 2 nights at least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.