Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

New China Eastern MU route from Chicago to Shanghai

Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Starting March 18th, there will be a direct route from ORD to PVG so I wanted to take advantage of that (thanks to advice here that said to try and avoid connections in the usa)

I'm flying ORD->PVG->CSX All on one China Eastern Itinerary.
Layover is 2hr20min

Trip back is CSX->PVG->ORD again, all on one China Eastern Itinerary.
Layover is 1hr45min

Sounds like a perfect flight but I'm worried about the layover on the way back. I'm assuming I won't have to pick up bags at PVG and since both flight in and flight out is on Terminal 1 I don't need a LOT of time.

What do you think?

Last edited by Jan3Sobieski; Mar 11, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think you should give this a pass unless the fare is dirt cheap and/or you're fine with spending a night in Shanghai.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:36 pm

I am flying ORD-PVG-NRT in few weeks. Both of my original flights were cancelled by china eastern. However, because of it they agreed to provide hotel accommodations at their cost. China eastern doesn't really have a good reputation, china overall has a 3rd world like rules and regulations even though their infrastructure is developed. Don't expect a Singapore or Emirates like service. In case you don't make it to your return flight, have some backups whether you will stay overnight or whatnot. I have heard of people going through quite a bit in missed flights. So, having a plan will help you avoid stress and anxiety
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MU actually isn't so bad these days (IMO), but the idea of connecting in Shanghai when other options exist is dumb.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Round trip tickets were ~$600 so i'd call that dirt cheap
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clearblue
I am flying ORD-PVG-NRT in few weeks. Both of my original flights were cancelled by china eastern.
They cancelled your tickets? How exactly did they do that? I purchased mine through cheapoair.com Did they call you?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:07 pm

ORD-PVG-NRT on China Eastern

Hey can anyone who has done this trip let us know if the bags are checked all the way through Tokyo or we will have to pick up the bags at PVG and check it again ?

Thanks
HS
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heman_s
Hey can anyone who has done this trip let us know if the bags are checked all the way through Tokyo or we will have to pick up the bags at PVG and check it again ?

Thanks
HS
I'd like to know that too, but I don't think we'll find out for a while...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:45 pm

Clearblue is flying soon, hope he would update us. I am planning to stay for a day in shanghai. Just dont want to worry abt the luggage if possible.
Flying ORD-PVG-NRT on September 16th
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jan3Sobieski
They cancelled your tickets? How exactly did they do that? I purchased mine through cheapoair.com Did they call you?
I actually got to know about it when I sent them a note from facebook about special meal order. Then they told me that my outbound flight was cancelled. When I called they said both of my flights were cancelled. I was not able to get hold of anyone in the US so I called the china support. The guy there said he would book hotels both ways but didn't hear anything from him. He, however, changed both inbound and outbound dates. The next day someone from china eastern air called me. Also, Orbitz called me. I booked through Orbitz. Orbitz representative told me that China eastern would provide hotel for inbound only. So, I received an email from their New Your office the next day about confirming hotel, I told them they cancelled my flights both ways and they should provide hotel accommodations both ways. Anyway, they agreed. My experience has been that getting hold of them via phone is nearly impossible, they provided prompt responses to email query from their NY office. They answered facebook queries too.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by heman_s
Clearblue is flying soon, hope he would update us. I am planning to stay for a day in shanghai. Just dont want to worry abt the luggage if possible.
Flying ORD-PVG-NRT on September 16th
I will sure give you updates when I am back. I want to check in my bag all the way to NRT.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I actually got to know about it when I sent them a note from facebook about special meal order. Then they told me that my outbound flight was cancelled. When I called they said both of my flights were cancelled. I was not able to get hold of anyone in the US so I called the china support. The guy there said he would book hotels both ways but didn't hear anything from him. He, however, changed both inbound and outbound dates. The next day someone from china eastern air called me. Also, Orbitz called me. I booked through Orbitz. Orbitz representative told me that China eastern would provide hotel for inbound only. So, I received an email from their New Your office the next day about confirming hotel, I told them they cancelled my flights both ways and they should provide hotel accommodations both ways. Anyway, they agreed. My experience has been that getting hold of them via phone is nearly impossible, they provided prompt responses to email query from their NY office. They answered facebook queries too.
Thanks clearblue but i'm just a little confused. If they cancelled both your inbound and outbound flights what exactly are they providing you hotel accomodations for? did they only cancel parts of your itinerary? did they reschedule your flights? Also, when is your trip? I'm flying out early April.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:53 pm

Thanx. We hope you have a good and safe flight..
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jan3Sobieski
Thanks clearblue but i'm just a little confused. If they cancelled both your inbound and outbound flights what exactly are they providing you hotel accomodations for? did they only cancel parts of your itinerary? did they reschedule your flights? Also, when is your trip? I'm flying out early April.
ORD-PVG fight arrives in the evening and PVG-NRT leaves the next day morning. Similarly NRT-PVG arrives in the evening and PVG-ORG leaves the next day around noon. So, I needed to stay at hotels overnight. MU paid for it, otherwise I had to arrange hotel accommodation. Inbound and outbound flights both got cancelled on the day I purchased ticked for back in mid January.

I told them to reschedule the fight next day, but I could have asked to reschedule other days too. I am going on a 8 country aisa tour and I have already purchased tickets and booked hotels so couldn't change the date too much.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

ORD-PVG fight arrives in the evening and PVG-NRT leaves the next day morning. Similarly NRT-PVG arrives in the evening and PVG-ORG leaves the next day around noon. So, I needed to stay at hotels overnight. MU paid for it, otherwise I had to arrange hotel accommodation. Inbound and outbound flights both got cancelled on the day I purchased ticked for back in mid January.

I told them to reschedule the fight next day, but I could have asked to reschedule other days too. I am going on a 8 country aisa tour and I have already purchased tickets and booked hotels so couldn't change the date too much.
Ah, gotcha, I understand now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.