China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:43 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

Some new regulations and/or newly focused on items at China's airports now--

In addition to being pretty strict with liquids, now portable batteries (like the ones for charging your phone) are being confiscated if they don't have the capacity clearly listed. Make sure the capacity is covered with a piece of tape or something to prevent it from rubbing off. The limit is 30,000mAh.

Even though my battery was clearly less than that, and I could pull up receipts and the product page to prove it, they wouldn't accept it since it wasn't printed on the battery itself. I also told them I brought this same battery through several times in the last few months, without this kind of scrutiny. Deaf ears. They will let you exit security to ship it, it's only 10RMB to ship to somewhere in the city (in this case, Beijing). Not sure the cost to ship abroad, and timing was not determinate for shipping within China so I didn't want to chance it. Luckily I have friends in Beijing to ship to.

Another inflexible policy that only has marginal safety effect.

Have folks encountered other newish or surprise regulations?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by transparent

Have folks encountered other newish or surprise regulations?
Only at CAN that wouldn't allow any aerosols through the check-point (like deodorant or hairspray, even if under the 100ml LAG rules and in a clear bag).

Other checkpoints in PVG/SHA/PEK don't have an issue - but once CAN saw the 'flamable' sigh they refused to let them through. Again, no amount of discussion about rules in other cities was entertained.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:24 am

It's not a new regulation and it's not specific to China.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Every time I've gone through security in China (limited compared to you all, but...) - CIH, OVG, PEK - my cords & cables have been checked. No matter how neatly I have them coiled or separated. After the 3rd time, I've started storing them in their own bag and just have that ready to hand to security^

(San Jose Costa Rica airport is just as finicky about any container that they deem flammable - my husband was making quite a few trips there for a few years and I had to search out shaving cream containers that did NOT say "explosivo" on them anywhere - same container, but as long as it doesn't say anything on it....I think I've finally gotten him switched over to shaving creams now but he keeps pushing back on shave oil)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had an external phone battery taken off me at Xi'an earlier this year. The same battery made it through many checkpoints at SHA and PVG before the officious Xi'an employees nabbed my dangerous contraband.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since luggage handling is extremely fast on the receiving end of most flights within China, I almost always check my primary bag, AND if my gut tells me that the delay isn't going to be too long, I place my computer bag inside it.

This drill permits me to pass through security with myself, passport, wallet, and cell phone only. Plus, I can comfortably get on the plane at the very end of the boarding process (i.e. less tarmac time is always a good thing, and if my assigned seat isn't optimal, I am usually able to find one that is).

Cutting to the chase, IME only spare (internal) batteries get flack when placed in checked baggage (i.e. you must carry these on board, if caught). The (unannotated) power supply for my computer has caught a bit of attention, but has never been denied passage. My Xiaomi external battery has never even triggered the red light (perhaps, because it is quite common).

In closing, I don't really worry about this stuff at all (pales in comparison to the horrendous delays that are increasingly commonplace).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:44 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JPDM
It's not a new regulation and it's not specific to China.
Perhaps, though I was told by the security counter that it started less than a year ago.

I have also not encountered this at PEK nor PVG in 5-6 trips over the last 6 months, nor have I encountered this at any other airport in the world in the last 12 months (including LHR which seems to be the most ridiculous even after China and U.S. security procedures).

I have heard of large laptop lithium batteries having issues in checked luggage etc, but not small USB chargers (<11000mAh).

Also in this case, the only issue seems to be that the markings indicating capacity were worn off, NOT that I was carrying a battery that was dangerous or too large.

So I think it's useful to provide warning to make sure your battery markings are protected/intact to avoid needless confiscation.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:53 am
formerly known as ravishah

So should I put my portable charger in my checked or hand held luggage to avoid the problem, or is it both that has the issues?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by rollingdeep
So should I put my portable charger in my checked or hand held luggage to avoid the problem, or is it both that has the issues?
Does your portable charger have an in tact ce/ul sticker? If so, it shouldn't matter where you put it.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:36 am
formerly known as ravishah

Originally Posted by moondog
Does your portable charger have an in tact ce/ul sticker? If so, it shouldn't matter where you put it.
Yep - should do will need to check if not I have a new one in a box somewhere that will.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:54 pm

My experience at SZX

This July at SZX, after checking in my bag and before boarding, I was summoned by security to unpack my bag. Turned out they detected (x-ray) two small camera batteries in my bag. After removing them from the bag and putting them in my carry-on bag, I was let go to board. In my carry-on was also a laptop with a much larger battery.

I remain baffled why batteries are allowed in carry-ons, but not in checked bags.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere
This July at SZX, after checking in my bag and before boarding, I was summoned by security to unpack my bag. Turned out they detected (x-ray) two small camera batteries in my bag. After removing them from the bag and putting them in my carry-on bag, I was let go to board. In my carry-on was also a laptop with a much larger battery.

I remain baffled why batteries are allowed in carry-ons, but not in checked bags.
If they were to combust while in your possession, it's likely that you could have controlled the ensuing fire (other threads on ft about this).
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:24 pm

The rules are not based on mAh alone.

The CAAC rules:

A power pack can only be carried in your hand luggage. If it's 100Wh or below, you can pack it without prior approval. From 100Wh to 160Wh, you need the airline's approval, but you can't carry more than two power packs. Power packs over 160Wh are forbidden.

You'll have to convert mAh to Wh for your particular battery, since it depends on the voltage.

You also can't use your power pack on board.

http://www.caac.gov.cn/C1/201408/t20140807_66977.html (in Chinese)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:25 pm

(Duplicate post deleted.)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf

Presumably if a fire started in the carry-on luggage someone would see it and do something about it before it goes out of control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.