Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Visa (credit card) Acceptance in China

Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi!

I've been doing my best to research this but I can't seem to get a straight answer.

I'm traveling to China in around 2 weeks and am trying to figure out if my CapOne CC (Visa) will work in stores.

No foreign transaction fees, but from what I understand Chinese POS systems only accept UnionPay? But then I read that Visa has a agreement with UnionPay to make cards work.

I'm really curios to hear about real world experience. Can you just swipe and go?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visa Acceptance in China

Some places it will and some places it won't. Restaurants, hotels and stores that cater to foreigners will be no problem. Using it at a local hot pot restaurant in Zhengzhou will most likely cause problems.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
My advise in China to ALWAYS bring cash..... at least for 1 day in case something suddenly doesn't work. I have been MANY times in hotels (mainly small) that advertise they accept a lot but then "suddenly" they have some connection problems with their devices. If you do not speak good Chinese, better to have a bit of cash at hand.

actually i would advise this anywhere....
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by christravelblog
My advise in China to ALWAYS bring cash..... at least for 1 day in case something suddenly doesn't work. I have been MANY times in hotels (mainly small) that advertise they accept a lot but then "suddenly" they have some connection problems with their devices. If you do not speak good Chinese, better to have a bit of cash at hand.

actually i would advise this anywhere....
I'm also fond of cash, but don't advocate carrying around large amounts of it because ATM machines are never too far away (unless you're way off the beaten path).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:31 am
qpr

To which part of China you wanna travel?

In the northeast provinces you´ll not find many hotels or shops who accept a foreign cc.

To get cash at a ATM machine is no problem.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I am going to Guangzhou, Hangzhou, and maybe Shanghai.

Would a 7-11 or walmart for example take my card? What about for example a China Unicom store where I'd purchase my simcard?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Gaura Mohana
I am going to Guangzhou, Hangzhou, and maybe Shanghai.

Would a 7-11 or walmart for example take my card? What about for example a China Unicom store where I'd purchase my simcard?
Probably not. I just set up a Sim Card at the main China Yidong Store in Wangfujing in Beijing and they didn't take Visa. Definitely not for 7-11 and I'd be surprised if WalMart did as well.

When I've asked about using Visa at a couple places, they tell me that they had a 3% fee to accept it, which doesn't really make it any better than cash.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Walmart accepts Visa. 711s in Shanghai do too. The problem is, for every 711, there are 100 other 连锁便利店 (e.g. Lawson) that do not take foreign cards except Union pay.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm also fond of cash, but don't advocate carrying around large amounts of it because ATM machines are never too far away (unless you're way off the beaten path).
Yes, and cash lets you negotiate better in China
never show to much cash. then the price goes up.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:26 pm

I have swiped my Visa card at POS that says only UnionPay and it seems to work just fine. Cash is still king in China so bring some extra cash just in case.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Most large established restaurants/stores and all hotels will pretty much accept Visa. But always bring cash in China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.