PVG Duty Free Says No Alcohol to US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

My friend says she tried to buy alcohol (Chinese wine) at duty free at PVG to bring back to the US...she was flying UA from PVG-EWR-BOS, and the duty free people told her they couldn't sell her alcohol to bring to the US. Does this make any sense?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by nologic
My friend says she tried to buy alcohol (Chinese wine) at duty free at PVG to bring back to the US...she was flying UA from PVG-EWR-BOS, and the duty free people told her they couldn't sell her alcohol to bring to the US. Does this make any sense?
YES, not just PVG but all airports with direct flights to US territories.

US TSA rule applies to flights to US which does not permit carryon over 100ml.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
You're saying this is abt the connection...first of all, when you clear customs in the US at EWR, you can put ur bottle in ur bag before you recheck it to BOS. Second, doesn't US TSA allow travel w duty free items in those sealed, clear duty free bags w receipt?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PVG hand searches carry on bags in the jetway and makes people discard even unopened bottles of water purchased airside. I don't think Chinese airports participate in the sealed bags of duty free stuff system.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PVG hand searches carry on bags in the jetway and makes people discard even unopened bottles of water purchased airside. I don't think Chinese airports participate in the sealed bags of duty free stuff system.
So it's PVG that doesn't allow you to buy alcohol from Duty Free after security and bring it on board flights to the US?

What is the logic/issue here, and why do they sell duty free alcohol and to who going where?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So it's PVG that doesn't allow you to buy alcohol from Duty Free after security and bring it on board flights to the US?

What is the logic/issue here, and why do they sell duty free alcohol and to who going where?
I know that you can buy alcohol in duty free at other airports and take it into the USA [assuming that staste law permits this], although usually it must be put into a checked bag after customs if you are making further connections.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:19 pm

To everybody except Americans apparently. Although there are some countries where it is an issue if you transit (you can't always put it in your luggage as most countries offer real transits which the US does not have).
They don't allow it because of the US rules. China did not make this rule, the US did.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:27 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO

US / TSA permit inbound international travelers to carry liquids in excess of 100 mL in their carry-on baggage,
relaxation of 3-1-1 rule ( Jaunuary 31, 2014)
provided they were purchased in duty-free shops and placed in secure, tamper-evident bags (STEBs).

Liquids in sealed STEBs still need to be inspected at TSA checkpoints, using scanners. Liquids that cannot be screened – such as those in opaque, ceramic, or metallic containers
will be confiscated.

China does not allow travelers to US to board with any liquids.

Issue - unknown
Logic - none

who they sell to and where they are going - passengers with tickets other than to US.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Aug 21, 2015 at 10:48 pm
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:30 am

The issue isn't alcohol; it's liquids!

Why not buy your booze from some place better/cheaper than sunrise and pack it in your luggage?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

The world exists outside the USA

However - what you report is true. Both the USA and Australia have the same liquids rule and bag checks for flights to Australia/USA are carried out either in the jetway or just before.

For all flights (not just those departing China), liquids not in LAG bags, or in tamper proof bags are confiscated.

Not all airports offer tamper proof bags, and some airports alternatively deliver duty free to the gate (for example SIN).

BKK is another airport that will not sell alcohol to pax departing to AU/USA.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Aug 22, 2015 at 6:12 am
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
For all flights (not just those departing China), liquids not in LAG bags, or in tamper proof bags are confiscated.
That's just not true IME and this thread seems confusing to me! Most big Canadian airports have transborder sections (which only go to the US) which have a duty-free section which I have taken advantage of.

I remember these checks from Asia and Europe for a year or two after 9/11, but haven't had an issue since when transiting through the US - certainly not a bottle of water over 100ml! This includes LHR and PVG in the last year.

Dr. PITUK
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by painintheuk

I remember these checks from Asia and Europe for a year or two after 9/11, but haven't had an issue since when transiting through the US - certainly not a bottle of water over 100ml! This includes LHR and PVG in the last year.

Dr. PITUK
I hadn't considered trans-border Canada-USA. But for flights exHKG, exChina, exAU to USA for example they all have the gate checks. I fly those routes fairly often and gate checks have been in place every time.

China probably isn't so concerned about water bottles... but I know for sure they were confiscating them at HKG late last year.

Apparently however liquids bough after security screening at Tokyo are ok! :http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...g-out-nrt.html

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Aug 22, 2015 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:52 am

IME departing PVG on flights to the USA (operated by a USA carrier), they are concerned about water bottles acquired airside, but they don't always do a very careful search. I've had some unopened water bottles confiscated and I've gotten through with some.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:34 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Here's the routine.

Could be inside the jetway, at entrance to jetway , or in waiting area.

Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

What about checked cases of wine PEK-HKG-BOS, checked thru in PEK along with my flight?

Anyone see any concerns or issues there? I wouldn't want to buy a case of wine and bring it to the airport and not be able to check it in as one of my "bags" with me to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.