Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
China Flight Delays Thread
Please share your non-CX / KA experiences

PLEASE post your CX / KA delays in the dedicated thread in the Cathay Pacific / DragonAir forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1596758-china-flight-delays.html

Moondog: Here are my thoughts with respect to the Wikipost content:
Please post your delay experience in the following format, in reverse chronological order for currency:
  1. Background (including airport or region if appropriate (or airline, flight number, origin and destination,) delay period and nature of delay as pertinent
  2. Current status
  3. Alternatives to flying

September

August

Note: Moondog suggested a wiki for this. A wiki is a community-maintained product; moderators do not intervene as long as Rules are not being violated, or unless requested. This format is suggested, but the community can choose alternatives. /JDiver, Senior Moderator
Print Wikipost

Flight Delays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
https://www.facebook.com/SpringAirli...88764404482817

"1、目前,中國的空域管理權屬於空軍,民航總局只能在空軍的允許範圍內使用空域。一旦空軍在某片空域演習 ,此空域的所有民航飛機將全部禁飛。由於演習的持續時間,管控領域屬於軍事機密,遇到此種情況的航空公司只 能以空中管制為由向旅客交待。 "

Translation

"1. At present (as of July 2013), Chinese airspace is controlled by the PLAAF, CAAC can only use airspace designated by the PLAAF. If there are military drills in a certain sector, all civilian aircraft will be banned on that sector. And as military drills in progress are a military secret, airlines are only permitted to say air flow controls are in effect"
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
LJG-PEK CA1470 delayed 3 hours before boarding + 45 mins on the tarmac.

'Adverse weather' in Beijing announced whilst reading an email from the folks who are here stating 'lovely weather all weekend'.

Off topic but Yunnan is bobbins, avoid.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:57 pm

8/21 MU586 LAX-PVG
Departure out of LAX delayed by 45 minutes, yet flight still managed to arrive ~1 hour early into PVG.

As usual the MU 773 hard product in C is excellent, but in-flight service and f&b severely lacking in quality. Unlike my MU flight the prior week this one did not have free WIFI.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:45 pm

Drills near SH today, HX has already delayed 2 and cancelled 1 HKG-PVG flight today so far:

上海軍演實施空管 港航1機取消2延誤
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...391&a=54124438

Presumably dress rehearsals for 3Sep? Told my wife "even if we are patriotic we can't head north for the hol, perhaps our treasonous trip to Japan over the hol can be justified on refugee grounds..."
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:16 am

上海實施空管 港滬多班航機取消或延誤

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...00822_001.html

Delayed: (to a later time today) KA802、KA864、KA876、KA804、KA892、KA874 、(to tomorrow) KA890、KA896、KA808、KA872、KA894

Cancelled: KA870

Can the blxxdy PLAAF give more notice of a drill, giving airlines more time to reschedule?

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 24, 2015 at 3:03 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Post deleted, no longer relevant in view of the information below.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Aug 24, 2015 at 4:08 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
It's just a tad rainy in Shanghai today... Bypassing typhoon. PVG had a weather advisory until 16:00 today and was closed for flooded taxi- and runways for short periods. It's also in most news...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:03 am

chinatrvl: oh very well weather conceded http://www.chinanews.com/gn/2015/08-24/7485636.shtml
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The title of this thread is "Flight Delays".

To discuss East Asian, Japanese or Chinese politics, the proper forum is OMNI/PR.

Thank you for keeping this thread on its topic.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:43 am

So we're not allowed to talk about the reasons for those flight delays to happen?

I think this thread is fairly useless then..
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
So we're not allowed to talk about the reasons for those flight delays to happen?

I think this thread is fairly useless then..
I agree, for the most part. If the PLA is doing drills, such is very relavnt to this thread (I.e. give me a head's up and I'll definitely change my plan accordingly).

None us whose careers are tied to China are dumb enough to make overly political comments here. And, whenever overly political comments enter our discussions, we are pretty good about alerting moderators.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

One of my colleagues flew up from Nanning today. He was originally booked on an 8a flight, but that was cancelled last night because the airplane never left Shanghai.

He ended up on an afternoon flight in the end, and asked about the cancellation.

The stated reason was simultaneous drills in 7 cities: Nanjing, Beijing, Chengdu, Jinan, Lanzhou, Shenyang, Guangzhou. They also advised that these drills (some announced in advance and others not) will continue until September 3.

I'm thinking of postponing my flights next week (I can't imagine productivity is going to especially stellar next week anyway).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Just got back from a long weekend in Sri Lanka. Both my AirAsiaX flights to and from KUL left/arrived PVG relatively on time.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
https://www.facebook.com/SpringAirli...88764404482817

"1、目前,中國的空域管理權屬於空軍,民航總局只能在空軍的允許範圍內使用空域。一旦空軍在某片空域演習 ,此空域的所有民航飛機將全部禁飛。由於演習的持續時間,管控領域屬於軍事機密,遇到此種情況的航空公司只 能以空中管制為由向旅客交待。 "

Translation

"1. At present (as of July 2013), Chinese airspace is controlled by the PLAAF, CAAC can only use airspace designated by the PLAAF. If there are military drills in a certain sector, all civilian aircraft will be banned on that sector. And as military drills in progress are a military secret, airlines are only permitted to say air flow controls are in effect"
What would happen if there are severe thunderstorms with golf ball size hail in the clouds across the entire corridor that CAAC is allowed to use? Would CAAC be able to ask the PLAAF for use of alternate airspace due to emergency, or would they turn planes back due to inability to route around the weather, thereby causing additional delays?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
What would happen if there are severe thunderstorms with golf ball size hail in the clouds across the entire corridor that CAAC is allowed to use? Would CAAC be able to ask the PLAAF for use of alternate airspace due to emergency, or would they turn planes back due to inability to route around the weather, thereby causing additional delays?
I can't say for sure but I will think it will be treated as if no landing conditions at destination. I doubt the PLAAF will allow a detour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.