PEK / Beijing Int'l. Airport suspension of operations Sep 3 09:30-12:30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PEK / Beijing Int'l. Airport suspension of operations Sep 3 09:30-12:30

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm on a train to bj right now (didn't even consider flying this time), and we are currently sitting idle near dezhou because we don't have approval to arrive in Beijing yet. One of the train ladies told me that delays of this sort have been common during the past week. The good news is she's pretty sure we're only one hour behind schedule.

ETA: I ended up making it to Beijing one hour behind schedule, which isn't too bad I guess, though 6 hours is a bit long for me to spend in 2nd class (or any class, now that I think about it).

As you might expect, Beijing is really lovely right now (clean air and greatly reduced traffic, due to the odd/even scheme). If it was always like this, I'd gladly forgo the ability to visit the closed tourist sites.

Other notes:
-I had dinner with a friend who works for the central government, and she told me that her boss is the only person in her office who received an invite to the parade
-Chang'an Jie is going to be effectively closed between Guomao and Fuxingmen on 9/1, 9/2, and 9/3, and Line 1 already passes by all of the stops in between (i.e. NOT a good time to stay in Wangfujing)
-the air portion of the parade will go from west to east along Chang'an Jie; the top of the China World Summit Wing would probably be pretty good place to view it from (if the weather is good, you should be able to see far to the west)

Last edited by moondog; Aug 30, 2015 at 7:18 am
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JPDM
The airport expresse starts running at about 6h30am so you're fine. Lama Temple will be closed on the 3rd.
Here is a list of closures: http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/201...d-august-22-23
And another one: http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/201...mber-3-holiday
Whoa, that all seems very draconian. Does everything go back to "normal" on the 4 Sept then? Tianamen Sq open?

Is there any chance of being able to see any of the aerial stuff in the city on the 3 Sept? What time does it all start?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:22 pm

Everything will be back to normal on the 4th.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Everything will be back to normal on the 4th.
Let's hope not: while today may well be the dumbest holiday in the history of mankind, if you ever wanted to see Beijing without the bother of motorbikes and with the lowest aqi ratings ever, now is the time!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by moondog
Let's hope not: while today may well be the dumbest holiday in the history of mankind, if you ever wanted to see Beijing without the bother of motorbikes and with the lowest aqi ratings ever, now is the time!
So true.

I am at PEK now waiting for my flight to SEL on OZ 332. There are aircraft departing but I foresee a delay.

Yes, delay now for an hour.

Last edited by minhaoxue; Sep 2, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:43 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Back to normal.

Sept.3
Sept.4
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Back to normal.

Sept.3
Sept.4
Wow! Can you send these pics to my wx? I'm truly amazed.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:13 am

I already posted on wx moments, but I want to point out that the top picture is an excellent example of APEC蓝.

APEC蓝 refers to a shade of blue that doesn't actually exist in real life.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:14 am

Wow! Can you send these pics to my wx? I'm truly amazed.
This is the link to the CNN article.

Blue Sky Vanishes Immediately after Beijing's Massive Parade.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:25 am

Beijing was extremely nice last week!

-minimal air pollution
-no motorbikes
-light traffic
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:44 am

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Los Angeles

Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Los Angeles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Donora_smog
Researchers analyzing the event have focused likely blame on pollutants from the zinc plant, whose emissions had killed almost all vegetation within a half-mile radius of the plant.
China might be bad right now, but I've never heard of all vegetation being KILLED by smog.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by STS-134
China might be bad right now, but I've never heard of all vegetation being KILLED by smog.
Anyone checked the grass in Tianjin lately? I've been in Beijing for the last couple grey rain soaked days and am tempted to take a day trip down and see what I can find/photograph. I'm not sure what's verboten or exactly where I'm trying to get.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Anyone checked the grass in Tianjin lately? I've been in Beijing for the last couple grey rain soaked days and am tempted to take a day trip down and see what I can find/photograph. I'm not sure what's verboten or exactly where I'm trying to get.
I've been taking the train up and back for the past 4 weeks, and Tianjin has never failed to look miserable during this stretch.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:53 am

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/08/1...ianjin-blasts/

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Asking for trouble.

Detain .. arrest.. confiscate images .. deportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.