Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PEK / Beijing Int'l. Airport suspension of operations Sep 3 09:30-12:30

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shefgab
I'm flying into PEK on BA from LHR on 3 Sept...flight is scheduled to land at 0930

To be honest, i'm not in a rush, I have a good seat, and a divert to somewhere interesting wouldn't be the worst thing in the world
I'm guessing BA will bump your flight up by around an hour because a diversion to Shijiazhuang or Tianjin would cost them quite a bit of money, and add at least 3 hours to your trip. Anyway, keep us posted, and best of luck. At least the air quality should be quite good during your visit.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:47 am

I'm going to arrive in Beijing by train on the night of the 2nd, and am flying out the morning of the 7th. Is there any possible way to watch the military parade in person, besides getting an invitation? Should I expect most touristy things to be operating as usual while I'm there? (Subways, buses, other touristy places besides Tiananmen Square, etc.)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WFBtheV
I'm going to arrive in Beijing by train on the night of the 2nd, and am flying out the morning of the 7th. Is there any possible way to watch the military parade in person, besides getting an invitation? Should I expect most touristy things to be operating as usual while I'm there? (Subways, buses, other touristy places besides Tiananmen Square, etc.)
Do you have any high level contacts in 中南海? If not, don't plan on getting near the parade. For your other questions, check out thebeijinger.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Moon,

I have heard some say there will be 3 days set aside as a national holiday. If that is the truth will we be able to get into the bank to exchange money?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:25 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
Do you have any high level contacts in 中南海? If not, don't plan on getting near the parade. For your other questions, check out thebeijinger.
^

Tried to get an invite to 60th anniv PRC parade in 09 from connection at youth league.
Was told no foreigners..well maybe Jane Fonda Ok.

Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by JCM3535
Moon,

I have heard some say there will be 3 days set aside as a national holiday. If that is the truth will we be able to get into the bank to exchange money?
3 Sep will be a public holiday while 4-5 will be the "weekend" with Sunday 6 Sep being a "normal" week day.

Some Chinese banks do stay open on public holidays and weekends, so you may be able to exchange banknotes. But as the Chinese FX/stock markets will be closed from 3 Sep and won't reopen until 7 Sep, you may encounter
certain restrictions.

The best bet is to carry a debit card and withdraw cash from an ATM, or use other 24-hour exchange providers such as airport exchange desks, hotels, etc.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
^

Tried to get an invite to 60th anniv PRC parade in 09 from connection at youth league.
Was told no foreigners..well maybe Jane Fonda Ok.

I have been luckily invited to the parade and am looking forward to been at such an occasion.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
I am flying in from Ningbo to Beijing on 2 September in the morning. Have heard that some airlines are cancelling flights. Any one heard of anything happening?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by brucelee
I am flying in from Ningbo to Beijing on 2 September in the morning. Have heard that some airlines are cancelling flights. Any one heard of anything happening?

http://blog.oag.com/oag-blog/flights...s-v-day-parade

"With a total of 269 scheduled flights during the closure period (09:30 – 12:30, Thursday 3 September) there will be significant impacts on airlines and airports worldwide. 20% of these flights are international with several being long-haul flights to the US or Europe. There are 22 international and eight Chinese carriers affected by the planned closure.

If the closure does go ahead on this scale, there will also be delays and cancellations for flights either side of the closure period, widening the impact."

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am still holding out hope that I somehow someway luck out and get in and out without incident. Don't expect it, but one can only hope at this point.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
There was a fly past of fighter jets over my gaff around 8am this morning, one was hopelessly out of formation so I guess he was shoveling coal in Hohot by mid afternoon.

Drove to Tongzhou between 9-10am and plenty of wide body commercial liners coming in however.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
There was a fly past of fighter jets over my gaff around 8am this morning, one was hopelessly out of formation so I guess he was shoveling coal in Hohot by mid afternoon.

Drove to Tongzhou between 9-10am and plenty of wide body commercial liners coming in however.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:46 am

Could be practicing pullout for missing man formation.

Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing BA will bump your flight up by around an hour because a diversion to Shijiazhuang or Tianjin would cost them quite a bit of money, and add at least 3 hours to your trip. Anyway, keep us posted, and best of luck. At least the air quality should be quite good during your visit.
2 weeks before departure, BA moved the flight forward 45 mins, so now due in at 0845. I assume the airport will be manic around then, and i'll be lucky to be landside before 10am. Is the Airport Express and metro working? I'm staying next to Dongsishitiao station. I won't even attempt to get a taxi.

A friend of mine said that Tiananmen Sq would be closed for a few days. Any other major closures? The only thing really on my to do list is get a well made 宫保鸡丁, and check out the Lama Temple. Should be doable in 48 hours!

LOL
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:50 pm

The airport expresse starts running at about 6h30am so you're fine. Lama Temple will be closed on the 3rd.
Here is a list of closures: http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/201...d-august-22-23
And another one: http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/201...mber-3-holiday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.