Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Chinese Business Visa For Engineering Work UK Passport

Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level

Question: For a UK passport holder working on a short term commissioning project in China salaried in UK. Is there an upper age limit restriction recently imposed.
My colleges and I have been obtaining multi entry business visas for many years. Recently one work mate was refused and the TA said that the reason was due to him being over 60. Previously we have had many over 60's working in China on same visas, but this appears to have come out of the blue.

Anyone have any idea if this is correct?

Many thanks in advance
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
Question: For a UK passport holder working on a short term commissioning project in China salaried in UK. Is there an upper age limit restriction recently imposed.
My colleges and I have been obtaining multi entry business visas for many years. Recently one work mate was refused and the TA said that the reason was due to him being over 60. Previously we have had many over 60's working in China on same visas, but this appears to have come out of the blue.

Anyone have any idea if this is correct?

Many thanks in advance

Starting about 5-6 years ago, it became increasingly difficult for >60's to get work visas for positions requiring formal work permits and residency...due to China's ridiculous retirement age that is currently 55 for women and 60 for men. They started to apply this not only to local Chinese but also to foreigners. It could be gotten around but needed to have a company with some clout, and some reasons why the "gray hair" expertise was particularly needed.

For business visas and short term visits, I had not heard this was an issue so I can only offer the following thoughts about what the problem might be:
--overall change in age policy for business visas (which I strongly doubt).
--something about this particular visa office. I note that if you are in the UK and use the most commonly-used gatekeeper visaforchina.org service centre, they may be interpreting the regulations and the application never reached an actual Consular officer.
--something about the nature of the colleague's proposed job (i.e. something requiring more physical activity vs brainwork)
--length of the "short-term" work was not short-term enough, and they deemed it more of a work-permit/Z1 visa type assignment...which then gets one into the age limit whammy. I tend to think this might be the most likely problem.

The red flag in your post was "...previously we have had many over 60's working in China on same visas.." Under the new Immigration policies, one shouldn't be "working" in China on a business visa at all. Though it's possible to do so, it takes a lot more planning and finesse than it used to.

Your Chinese inviter may have to put forth more effort in the letter of invitation as to why YOU (or a specific colleague > 60) is specifically needed for the work.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Thanks for your thoughts JieJie..
I suppose that there may be problems as the Invite is our sister company in China, for whom we provide technical training whilst project managing the installation. None of us reside in China and pay tax in UK and this is accepted via the dual tax exclusion policy between UK and China.
He did marry a Chinese national last year, so maybe that has totally complicated the situation.

Another technical adviser has just received and new business visa at beyond the grey hair age of no hair at 76.

Even myself with 10 years of multi entry visas, find that they can be totally different. 6 Months 60 days, 1 year 30 days, 1 year 90 days, always totally confused by what I ask for and what I receive. There appears to be no set formula for this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.