Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Six hours in XIY -- terracota warriors possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver

I have a possible itinerary ICN-(OZ)-XIY-(CA)-KWL with 6.5 hours in XIY (12:10 to 18:40). This would be on one through ticket in business class (first off the plane, priority security, etc.)

I am trying to squeeze a visit to the terracota warriors during the layover. From what I have read, airport to terracota warriors direct by taxi is about 1 hour. If this is right, would something like this work:

12:10-13:00 arrival, go through immigration
13:00-14:00 taxi from airport to warriors
14:00-16:00 terracota warriors visit
16:00-17:00 taxi back to airport

I may even be able to take a total of 45 minutes of assorted delays and still get back to XIY at 17:45 for the 18:40 domestic flight.

Is this doable or totally crazy?

I will have a checked bag. Would the bag be checked through so I don't have to deal with it in XIY, or would I have to pick it up in XIY and recheck?

Should I prearrange a taxi, or just hail the first from the line?

Any other advice?

Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:17 am

It should work but I would pre-arrange a driver in these circumstances.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This plan is certainly doable, but if I were the op, I'd do everything in my power to get on one of the icn-kwl nonstops (and save Xi'an for another trip).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experience.

Originally Posted by JPDM
It should work but I would pre-arrange a driver in these circumstances.
Anyone you would recommend that is reliable? I have heard stories of people prearranging at XIY and then the driver does not show up. Given my limited time, I would not want to be messing with that.

Originally Posted by moondog
This plan is certainly doable, but if I were the op, I'd do everything in my power to get on one of the icn-kwl nonstops (and save Xi'an for another trip).
Yes, I could get on the nonstop. But the whole point of the connection is precisely to get to see the warriors for no air cost. ICN-KWL is essentially the same cost as ICN-XIY-KWL.

Do you know if I need to claim bag at XIY and recheck it, or could it be checked through and I would just pick it up at KWL?

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Jun 27, 2015 at 6:57 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:03 pm

You definitely need to claim your bags in xiy.

I would just use a normal taxi or negotiate with a tout upon arrival.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:31 pm

I spent a couple of days in Xi'an last fall. If you really want to see something on such a short itinerary, I would skip the main Terra Cotta warriors site. I did go to that, but on the way to the airport also went to see the Hanyang Tombs. They are very close to the airport (20 minute drive?), much less busy, but still a great experience. I hired a guide for a full day (and did the other day myself) but I would expect that you could have them pick you up at the airport, give you a private tour and drop you back off at the airport, depending on your budget. Based on just that one experience I would definitely trust them to show up if they say they will!

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:43 pm

I have used this guy. He is reliable, speaks English and is a nice guy: Ding Yi - [email protected] I forget what his price is.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
You definitely need to claim your bags in xiy.
Bummer. How are they with bag delivery? Slow/fast? Also, could I check it immediately with CA at 12:something for the 6:40 flight, or would I have to take the bag to the warriors and check in with CA closer to flight time?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Bummer. How are they with bag delivery? Slow/fast? Also, could I check it immediately with CA at 12:something for the 6:40 flight, or would I have to take the bag to the warriors and check in with CA closer to flight time?
Bag delivery is fast; in fact odds are your bag will make it to baggage claim before you do.

You should be able to recheck it before leaving the airport, and perhaps without even going up to departures.

If not, there is a left luggage service.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I actually did something like this last year with an overseas visitor. We just transited in XIY for 6 hours and took the bus down town to ride bikes on the whole length of the city walls. FWIW, this is what happened to us:

Even for a domestic connection in XIY CA in PVG would not transfer luggage explaining they do not offer this service in XIY. We tried to recheck our luggage after landing in XIY and they would not accept it until check-in started for the flight. That was not going to work for us since we absolutely could not take our bags so we used the left luggage service which was a set price per bag regardless of weight or size. This delayed our expected departure at least 30 minutes and added another 10 when we returned. I cannot remember exactly where the left luggage desk was but it was not close to the CA check in counter. Down on arrivals level, I believe.

If you have a trusted driver, I would leave your luggage in the trunk. I always take a picture of the car registration in full view of the driver so he sees what you are doing. My staff in China taught me this trick and I even do this with taxis if they are supposed to wait. Maybe you can carry your valuables on you. Do keep in mind though there are tons of people at the tombs so you need to be careful there.

It sounds like fun, hope you enjoy it!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:15 am

As Moondog says, luggage usually arrive very quickly in China.
While the left luggage area is easy to find, I would not bother and just leave them in the trunk of the car. Taking a photo of the car and plate is a good idea if you take a taxi. With a reputable driver who treats his clients like friends such as DingYi, he may be a bit insulted so better tell him that you want to make sure you can find the car in the parking lot, not that you are concerned that he will leave with your luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.