Flights from HKG to PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights from HKG to PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: american advantage, hyatt gold passport, SPG, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors,Priority Club
Flights from HKG to PVG

traveling to hong kong in november and really want to go to shanghai....not sure which is the safest and best airline
china eastern airline, hong kong air, dragon air...anyone know the safety and fleet types?
cathay pacific is a great airline but way more expensive and limited flights

any suggestions would be great
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mvgirl100
traveling to hong kong in november and really want to go to shanghai....not sure which is the safest and best airline
china eastern airline, hong kong air, dragon air...anyone know the safety and fleet types?

any suggestions would be great
Ka and cx are usually the exact same price.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dragonair and Cathay are basically the same airline, they are both safe and usually fly A330s or A320's on this route.

China Eastern is usually pretty cheap and they are also a very safe airline. Dragon/Cathay have better service but if the cost difference is great, I'm fine taking China Eastern. They fly A320's and 737's on this route usually.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:18 am

In terms of safety, I would say that all airlines are the same. In terms of quality then probably Dragon/Cathay is the best choice.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
In terms of safety, I would say that all airlines are the same. In terms of quality then probably Dragon/Cathay is the best choice.
Well said. (We reach the same conclusion every time this topic comes up, which is surprisingly often, but I like your succinct explanation.)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
KA/CX also have about double the flights of china eastern... so if there are delays you might be able to swap flights and get to Shanghai closer to your intended time.

If flying KA, avoid the A320 and try and aim for wide-bodies... they are better equipped for IFE.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: american advantage, hyatt gold passport, SPG, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors,Priority Club
Thanks

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Dragonair and Cathay are basically the same airline, they are both safe and usually fly A330s or A320's on this route.

China Eastern is usually pretty cheap and they are also a very safe airline. Dragon/Cathay have better service but if the cost difference is great, I'm fine taking China Eastern. They fly A320's and 737's on this route usually.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mvgirl100
False on both fronts.

First, between CX and DragonAir, there's a dozen flights daily. Second, their normal price is higher but if you are persistent and patient, their 'offers' are discounted to as low as US$185 RT. Just means taking a flight early AM or late PM.

I booked one trip last year that left HK at 7 pm flight and returned on 8:30 am flight for $185. Currently scheduled to fly in late July for a few days and saw similar offers btw $185-370, whereas normal rate is about $500.

When searching, make sure your location is Hong Kong/English language.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
You haven't mentioned your visa situation. I don't believe that flying to Shanghai from HK and back would be allowed under the TWOV process.

Also be aware that a China Eastern flight might also be on Shanghai airlines which is a subsidiary.

I've flown Shenzhen, Hainan, China Southern, and Shanghai since moving here. All of them have been fine.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
OP, also consider that Shanghai has 2 airports (PVG and SHA). SHA is in the western part and much closer to Shanghai. PVG is to the east and is farther. Take that into consideration when looking at flights.

I've flown China Eastern and Dragonair and honestly couldn't tell you which is better/worse. Both fly modern fleet of Boeing/Airbus. China Eastern is part of SkyTeam and CX/Dragonair is part of One World if that makes a difference to you.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnathome
OP, also consider that Shanghai has 2 airports (PVG and SHA). SHA is in the western part and much closer to Shanghai. PVG is to the east and is farther. Take that into consideration when looking at flights.

I've flown China Eastern and Dragonair and honestly couldn't tell you which is better/worse. Both fly modern fleet of Boeing/Airbus. China Eastern is part of SkyTeam and CX/Dragonair is part of One World if that makes a difference to you.
There are many more flights to PVG than to SHA and the flights to SHA generally have a slight price premium. If you are flying out or in at rush hour it will sometimes take longer to get from People's Square to SHA than to PVG even though the distance is much shorter. The terminal at SHA is a complete dump as well so when your flight is inevitably delayed, you're hanging out in a 1980's style terminal. Also there is no possibility of changing to an earlier flight at SHA as each airline only has one flight a day so when delays happen it is better to be at PVG. All in all PVG is a better choice when flying to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:43 pm

I know uo has two sha flights, and I thought ka and mu did as well, but I generally agree about flying out of sha being a bit of a gamble due to the lack of fallback options. However, in the northbound direction booking sha is okay because you can always go to pvg instead. For me (on line 10), sha is substantially more convenient than pvg.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by moondog
For me (on line 10), sha is substantially more convenient than pvg.
Agreed. Even if you lived all the way out in Jinqiao, SHA would still be about the same distance away as PVG. For everybody else there is no contest.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Cathay Pacific experience

We flew Shanghai to Hong Kong last month on Cathay Pacific (looked for a flight that was Cathay Pacific, not DragonAir) and it was excellent service, aircraft, experience. Would use them again.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by welltended
We flew Shanghai to Hong Kong last month on Cathay Pacific (looked for a flight that was Cathay Pacific, not DragonAir) and it was excellent service, aircraft, experience. Would use them again.
Ka has better food fwiw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.