Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elliott says everyone needs a visa for China

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Talking Elliott says everyone needs a visa for China

I noticed a post on Christopher Elliott's blog that I think will amuse some people here: http://intelligenttravel.nationalgeo...o-visit-china/

In the blog entry from May 5, 2015, he asserts in the first line that "Any U.S. citizen visiting China needs a visa."

There's no mention of either 24 or 72 hour TWOV, nor does he specify MAINLAND China.

However, he does kindly provide a link to a visa service company called VisaRite. [Does anyone know whether's he's associated with VisaRite or gets profit from people using his link?] VisaRite states on the linked website (twice, in fact) that "Visitors travelling to mainland China require a visa, which should be obtained in advance." Here there's no citizenship qualification--presumably even Chinese citizens require visas to visit their own country, according to this visa service agency--and the "should be obtained in advance" phrasing suggests that you can also obtain a visa upon arrival, although it may be less convenient to do so.

If you can't get it right, why make it a post in your blog?

ADDED: the homepage of VisaRite also has includes the statement that "VisaRite guarantees the success of your visa application." That's amazing!

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 22, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old May 22, 2015, 10:35 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
VisaRite is a professional passport and visa service company authorized by the U.S. Department of State and Chinese Consulate.

Really?
Old May 22, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
VisaRite is a professional passport and visa service company authorized by the U.S. Department of State and Chinese Consulate.

Really?
This must be the best visa service agency in the world.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Maybe they should put these seals on the front page of their website

Old May 22, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

This smells like application fee $$$ I am a big fan of DIY or Do It Yourself!
Old May 22, 2015, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Elliott is entirely too self-serving.

I read his columns and many of them are a joke. It's always how he, Saviour C. Elliott, was able singlehandedly to tilt with corporate windmills and win one for the hapless consumer. Never an article where the consumer was wrong, or where the corporate entity tells him to blag off.

So, yes, he's wrong on this one, as we know, and if he were 100% above board and not benefiting directly, truly concerned with helping the consumer, he'd have the proper links we do and mention some of the many longtime, reputable visa brokers out there.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
the comments section has clarified there is 72 TWOV as an option.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the comments section has clarified there is 72 TWOV as an option.
That was a comment posted by someone else, Ingrid, and he doesn't even acknowlegde the post, let alone correct his blog entry to include this information. I guess we should compliment Elliott's organization for not censoring it.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:33 pm

I just sent him a friendly email on this topic, and am confident that he will correct his mistake. (He is a nice person, though not a China expert.)
Old May 24, 2015, 3:52 am

I guess that "technically" he is not wrong. You need a visa if you are visiting. If you are in transit then I guess you are not going to visit China. Just stopping on the way to somewhere else.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Christopher Elliott is a blogger that posts a LOT of idiotic/foolish advice. Not worth reading.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
I guess that "technically" he is not wrong. You need a visa if you are visiting. If you are in transit then I guess you are not going to visit China. Just stopping on the way to somewhere else.

common definition would be you are required to have a visa when "visiting" China

c : to go to see or stay at (a place) for a particular purpose (as business or sightseeing)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:50 pm

Visarite Good to me

Obviously, Visarite has exaggerated their qualifications. However, I have used them 4 times, and they have performed flawlessly. Several weeks ago, I applied for a visa and listed the Chinese mother of my children as deceased. The day my materials arrived, I got a call from Visarite asking me about this entry. They corrected it and added the name of my wife. They also delivered the visas applied for in about half the time they promised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.