Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Where to Search for Travel/Airfare Deals from China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Any good english language websites (besides of course flyertalk) listing travel/airfare deals within or from China? Most of the english travel deals websites of course list deals from or within North America/Europe. thanks.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I think C-trip is the best comparison site around but as far as finding the best deals I think you need to do a bit of leg work and go direct to the airlines. Sign up for the frequent flyer programs and their newsletters for the airlines that fly your routes and you should get all the best deals.

For example Etihad were recently offering return flights to Europe in Business Class for two people from 20,000rmb if you paid using a unionpay card. Only seemed to be advertised on their website though so easy to miss.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: TK*G
CTrip is my first choice, but QuNar (去哪儿网) sometimes has better prices on flights. Both sites also list deals or promotions that are currently going on. CTrip has a more full-featured English site, but if you can read Chinese both work well.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by State of Trance
CTrip is my first choice, but QuNar (去哪儿网) sometimes has better prices on flights. Both sites also list deals or promotions that are currently going on. CTrip has a more full-featured English site, but if you can read Chinese both work well.
I've recently started using Wechat to book plane (and train) tickets. I've found the prices to be surprisingly good, and booking is super fast.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I've recently started using Wechat to book plane (and train) tickets. I've found the prices to be surprisingly good, and booking is super fast.
And how do you go about this?
Old May 7, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
And how do you go about this?
It's really easy:
1) set up tenpay
2) select the relevant icon from "wallet"
3) enter cities and dates
4) choose flight or train
5) select passenger or create new passenger (name and ID number only)
6) click "buy"
7) enter pin
Old May 7, 2015, 5:42 pm

It's really easy:
1) set up tenpay
2) select the relevant icon from "wallet"
3) enter cities and dates
4) choose flight or train
5) select passenger or create new passenger (name and ID number only)
6) click "buy"
7) enter pin
I guess on need to read and write Chinese. How much do they charge? Not so obvious by looking at it.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:12 pm

I guess on need to read and write Chinese. How much do they charge? Not so obvious by looking at it.
You need elementary Chinese reading skills (e.g. city names), but writing isn't so important.

No service charge, and opting out of the insurance simply entails unchecking a box.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:35 pm

You need elementary Chinese reading skills (e.g. city names), but writing isn't so important.

No service charge, and opting out of the insurance simply entails unchecking a box.
Not really for tourists.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:02 pm

Not really for tourists.
I semi-disagree.

-until Wechat is disrupted by something else, it is a must have for all (including tourists)
-while the wallet feature certainly isn't necessary for most tourists, it solves an array of problems that frequently pop up here (e.g. how to buy train tickets, top up cell phones, pay my translator, 711 purchases)

Compared with setting up an account on 12306, Wechat wallet configuration is a cake walk, and the benefits are far greater.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:22 pm

Does WeChat Wallet require a Chinese credit card to work? That would be a deal breaker for myself and most others that don't reside in China.

Also, is there any way for to buy train tickets now without a 身份证? As a foreigner, I've only ever been able to buy high speed rail tickets at a manned booth, since the kiosks can't seem to read passports.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by State of Trance
Does WeChat Wallet require a Chinese credit card to work? That would be a deal breaker for myself and most others that don't reside in China.
Foreign cards are okay.

Also, is there any way for to buy train tickets now without a 身份证? As a foreigner, I've only ever been able to buy high speed rail tickets at a manned booth, since the kiosks can't seem to read passports.
Passports work on Wechat (as well as 12306, Ctrip, etc).
Old May 8, 2015, 11:55 pm

Passports work on Wechat (as well as 12306, Ctrip, etc).
Do you still have to physically pick up the ticket from a manned booth at the train station? Or is it now possible to simply use the self-service kiosks?
Old May 9, 2015, 2:13 am

The self service kiosks do not accept passports, and I doubt they ever will. However, I remain hopeful that a true e-ticket system is in the works.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:11 am

99% of tourists to China can't read or write 你好 I have even seen some who can't order from the photo menu at McDonalds. If you are a regular traveler to China for business or whatever, then maybe it is worth it but otherwise it is best to pay $5 to $10 bucks to have someone else do it and avoid the stress and aggravation..
etickets already exist. Chinese citizens taking bullet trains do not need a ticket. They just swipe their id card. Same when leaving the station. The system is built for 99.8% of their clients, the Chinese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.