Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

7 years in China - ask me anything

7 years in China - ask me anything

Old May 15, 2015, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pimevai
Heineken has been popular in China for a few decades, I think Tsingtao Beer has its roots linked to Heineken somehow. Also the Chinese name for Heineken is very easy to say and remember which I find helps when ordering, 喜力, Xili.
Most Heineken sold in China is made in China these days.

I don't believe Tsingtao Beer has any ties to Heineken. (Qingdao was a German -- not Dutch -- concession.)
Old May 15, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Pimevai
Heineken has been popular in China for a few decades, I think Tsingtao Beer has its roots linked to Heineken somehow. Also the Chinese name for Heineken is very easy to say and remember which I find helps when ordering, 喜力, Xili.
Actually I would say the German built the factory to produce Tsingtao, since Shandong Province was once a German colony. And Heineken of course is one option in China for a few decades, but recently it's becoming really popular or even favorite to many Chinese. I assume (without any offense) that you might go to some "international" places quite often, then there are only some international brands to offer (both Tsingtao and Heineken). If you could look for something more locally few years ago you may find the difference.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kkiiopq
Actually I would say the German built the factory to produce Tsingtao, since Shandong Province was once a German colony. And Heineken of course is one option in China for a few decades, but recently it's becoming really popular or even favorite to many Chinese. I assume (without any offense) that you might go to some "international" places quite often, then there are only some international brands to offer (both Tsingtao and Heineken). If you could look for something more locally few years ago you may find the difference.
-Shandong was never a German "colony"
-I don't know a single Chinese person in a first-tier city who goes out of their way to chase Heineken
-Please support your case about "it's becoming more popular" with verifiable data; my empirical evidence suggests the opposite
-Your comment about "a few years ago" is thoroughly confusing, but I welcome you to elaborate
Old May 15, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by moondog
Most Heineken sold in China is made in China these days.

I don't believe Tsingtao Beer has any ties to Heineken. (Qingdao was a German -- not Dutch -- concession.)
I actually didn't know Heineken was Dutch, always thought it was German. So much for that Tsingtao origin theory.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:01 pm

Since we've moved to beer, I was really excited when I moved back to China a few months ago and found that there was now an abundance of foreign beer -- truly foreign, imported beer, mostly Belgian and German -- in my small Shandong city. Last year there were a few "alternative" bars that carried some Belgians for ridiculous prices (50 rmb for a Delirium?), and supermarkets were increasing their selection, but mostly if I wanted a good strong ale I had to order off Taobao. Years before that -- forget about it. There was once a foreign bar in the city that carried a huge variety, but after the Siemens employees whose incomes supported the bar left, it closed doors. For years after it closed, our only choice was 'made in China' Carlsberg, Heineken, Guinness* and some German varieties.

Now there are 1-2 import alcohol stores in every mall selling Belgians at prices above Taobao but with more convenience. Nearly every supermarket carries 10-20 German varieties, and a bar isn't a bar without a minimum of 5-6 true imports.

I never used to be so pessimistic, but now I've got a new problem. I want to introduce my Chinese friends to some quality imported beers, and generally they really like what I've been sharing. However, they can't seem to drop the ganbei culture. I took a friend to try some Tripel Karmeliet (8.4%) beer that a bar had on sale the other day, and after we poured into a fine chalice glass, he toasted and downed half the beer, then gave me grief for wanting to take my time. This continued for three bottles before I realized my wallet and liver couldn't handle it, and we moved to some BBQ and cheap local brews. I just can't win.

*I'm not sure if the Guiness is made in China.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
-Shandong was never a German "colony"
-I don't know a single Chinese person in a first-tier city who goes out of their way to chase Heineken
-Please support your case about "it's becoming more popular" with verifiable data; my empirical evidence suggests the opposite
-Your comment about "a few years ago" is thoroughly confusing, but I welcome you to elaborate
There was a chunk of Shandong that was leased by the Germans (Kiautschou Bay Concession) They call it leasing but in actual fact, it was a military annexation by the Germans.

That is why Qingdao has such a huge German influence including beer and sausage.

During my factory tour of the Tsingtao Beer factory, they were telling us that when the Germans "left" China, they left this great factory and the secret on how to make good beer. Tsingtao was born.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by cfisher6
I want to introduce my Chinese friends to some quality imported beers, ... However, they can't seem to drop the ganbei culture.
From my personal experience, I once went to a Chinese banquet where someone hauled in a 4.5 liter (huge) bottle of Johnny Walker Black, the one that comes with a wire display rack. First I thought that it was a generous gift. Then I saw that person begin pouring the scotch into a number of pitchers filled with ice. That was when I had to remind myself that I was in Greater China, and that people were not intending to just having a sip. I can only describe the way we emptied that bottle that day as grotesque. I myself drank the usual amount for scotch, about 2 ounces, but I had to keep a full glass on the table, which eventually got thrown away, because otherwise someone would constantly refill it as encouragement to ganbei.

I'm sure we've also encountered Chinese ways with red wine, which can come with a bucket of ice. Some people regard serving wine with ice as more sophisticated than mixing in Sprite. I learned that lesson when I had to be stopped in the middle of pouring the wine directly from bottle to glass. They thought that drinking red wine at room temperature was grotesque. At the same time, they made fun of other Chinese who only like their red wine when it is sweetened.

In Beijing, Hong Kong, or Taipei, do as Beijingers, Hong Kongers, or Taipeiers do.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
From my personal experience, I once went to a Chinese banquet where someone hauled in a 4.5 liter (huge) bottle of Johnny Walker Black, the one that comes with a wire display rack. First I thought that it was a generous gift. Then I saw that person begin pouring the scotch into a number of pitchers filled with ice. That was when I had to remind myself that I was in Greater China, and that people were not intending to just having a sip. I can only describe the way we emptied that bottle that day as grotesque. I myself drank the usual amount for scotch, about 2 ounces, but I had to keep a full glass on the table, which eventually got thrown away, because otherwise someone would constantly refill it as encouragement to ganbei.

I'm sure we've also encountered Chinese ways with red wine, which can come with a bucket of ice. Some people regard serving wine with ice as more sophisticated than mixing in Sprite. I learned that lesson when I had to be stopped in the middle of pouring the wine directly from bottle to glass. They thought that drinking red wine at room temperature was grotesque. At the same time, they made fun of other Chinese who only like their red wine when it is sweetened.

In Beijing, Hong Kong, or Taipei, do as Beijingers, Hong Kongers, or Taipeiers do.
Ha, in a reverse sort of way, some foreign friends of mine have taken to mixing their baijiu with red tea. Chinese friends give them the same incredulous looks that the foreigners give when a Delirium is chugged.

For all my pessimism above, several Chinese friends have taken to enjoying a quality beer in the proper fashion. It was just a new concept at the time.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
50 rmb for delirium - depending on the size (and really, maybe not even then) is not a bad price! It's not that much more than I'd pay locally (I'm in the southern US, buying from a bottle shop with tons of craft & import beers) so in a city - more than reasonable.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
50 rmb for delirium - depending on the size (and really, maybe not even then) is not a bad price! It's not that much more than I'd pay locally (I'm in the southern US, buying from a bottle shop with tons of craft & import beers) so in a city - more than reasonable.
Not the bomber bottles, these are the 330ml ones. It's more than I've ever paid in the US outside of a bar, but the more relevant issue was the Taobao price at the time of around 25 RMB. Now Taobao can even go as low as 18-20 RMB, and bars in the area are more likely to charge 32-35 RMB.

I can now enjoy more imported, quality beers in China for less than in the US, but they're still a bit expensive for my Chinese or foreign teacher friends.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by cfisher6
Not the bomber bottles, these are the 330ml ones. It's more than I've ever paid in the US outside of a bar, but the more relevant issue was the Taobao price at the time of around 25 RMB. Now Taobao can even go as low as 18-20 RMB, and bars in the area are more likely to charge 32-35 RMB.

I can now enjoy more imported, quality beers in China for less than in the US, but they're still a bit expensive for my Chinese or foreign teacher friends.
OK, given those comparisons with other local options, I agree that's high. To be fair- that happens everywhere, though. You pay for convenience, as already noted.

My husband (a home brewer and avid craft beer fan) was amazed that he could walk into any convenience store on every street in Shanghai and get a beer at any time of day and walk around drinking it. Even if he didn't enjoy the flavor of those beers much (the first time he asked someone if it was ok to drink the beer on the street/in the open- oh, the blank looks he received!)
Old May 17, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond

Simple example:
-we wanted to transfer x shares in our hk entity from one party to another
-accountant tells us that stamp duty is several thousand USD
-after spending 10 minutes on Google, we suggest an approach that puts the stamp duty at $10
-she later tells us, "yes, that's okay"
- Ok so can we get that sorted then?
- erm, yes, I think that's ok.
- So you can get it done?
*one week later*
- So has that been done?
- We need to see the plan.
- erm, what plan?
- process plan for transaction.
- erm, plan is pay fee and transfer shares.
*one week later*
- Is it done yet, people are shouting at me.
- Need more plan.
* Give up. leave office. Drink Tsingdao and eat Chuanr.*
Old May 17, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

"7 years in China - ask me anything"
Have you mastered squatting toilet? -
Old May 17, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
OK, given those comparisons with other local options, I agree that's high. To be fair- that happens everywhere, though. You pay for convenience, as already noted.

My husband (a home brewer and avid craft beer fan) was amazed that he could walk into any convenience store on every street in Shanghai and get a beer at any time of day and walk around drinking it. Even if he didn't enjoy the flavor of those beers much (the first time he asked someone if it was ok to drink the beer on the street/in the open- oh, the blank looks he received!)
Haha, that was my first night in China.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What's the best time of year to visit Yunnan? I'm concerned about avoiding crowds more than about the weather, although I do understand avoiding crowds in China is very difficult.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.