Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 years in China - ask me anything

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by weiwei2
How is the living standard in China now day? I want to do some estimation on how much money need to bring for a week trip.
Quite a bit higher than 10 years ago. Depending on what you want to do I would average 1000-3000 RMB per day for a couple to stay in a hotel, pay for transportation and 2 full meals. This doesn't include any excursions such as going to the Great Wall or anything though.

Thats figuring you spend around 800-1000 RMB on hotel, and about 300 RMB per meal on average but some meals such as a trip to DaDong Roast Duck will be more around 1000 RMB.

Last time my wife and I stayed in Beijing for 5 days we spent about 15,000 RMB all in just for hotel, eating and getting around.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7 years in China - ask me anything

Maggie's or Manhattan?
Old May 7, 2015, 6:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Maggie's or Manhattan?
Does Maggie's still ban 中国人?
Old May 7, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pimevai
Quite a bit higher than 10 years ago. Depending on what you want to do I would average 1000-3000 RMB per day for a couple to stay in a hotel, pay for transportation and 2 full meals. This doesn't include any excursions such as going to the Great Wall or anything though.

Thats figuring you spend around 800-1000 RMB on hotel, and about 300 RMB per meal on average but some meals such as a trip to DaDong Roast Duck will be more around 1000 RMB.

Last time my wife and I stayed in Beijing for 5 days we spent about 15,000 RMB all in just for hotel, eating and getting around.
This or even more is certainly possible, but if you travel more on the cheap side, it's still pretty easy to get by on 1000 RMB or less per day. For example, my wife and I rarely spend more than 500 RMB per day in Beijing when visiting, and apart from our hotel, we don't skimp on anything. Even with the hotel, we're usually staying about a 10 minute walk from Tiananmen, so pretty central.

But without language skills, this may not be achievable.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cfisher6
This or even more is certainly possible, but if you travel more on the cheap side, it's still pretty easy to get by on 1000 RMB or less per day. For example, my wife and I rarely spend more than 500 RMB per day in Beijing when visiting, and apart from our hotel, we don't skimp on anything. Even with the hotel, we're usually staying about a 10 minute walk from Tiananmen, so pretty central.

But without language skills, this may not be achievable.

I'm with you on the 1000/day budget. If you can keep the hotel costs under 400, the remaining 600 can go a long way. Even dadong isn't expensive if you focus on the duck in isolation.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Pimevai
Although I think you meant it as a joke, the answer to your question is:

There's a legitimate (no up sells and no sexual stuff) tea parlor on the East bank of HouHai, it's across the water from the Starbucks there. It is the first shop on the East bank after a bike rental shop. I haven't been there in a couple of years and can't remember it's name but it is behind a round red wooden door, and had windows overlooking HouHai with red curtains. Inside it has private rooms (or actually just one private room that I've seen), as well as Chinese style cushioned chairs (太师椅) and big tables in the main hall.

Every time I've been had been with friends though (I never saw the bills) but I was told you could pay a reasonable upfront rate (around 50-100RMB) and you could bring your own tea and sit there all day, the fee is a "water" fee for the hot water service and use of their facilities. They have traditional Chinese board games (Chinese Chess, GO), as well as cards and magazines too for free use.

Also welcome to FT OP
Interesting, thank you. Finding places of tranquility in China is really no joke...
Old May 9, 2015, 8:49 am

I hope our esoteric questions didn't scare off the OP (word on the street is that we are a surly bunch).
Old May 10, 2015, 9:43 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
(word on the street is that we are a surly bunch).
China can do that to you.

Old May 10, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
(word on the street is that we are a surly bunch).
Nah, methinks OP gained new wisdom: The more you learn, the more you know how little you know. This applies especially to China, and it certainly characterizes my China experiences.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Nah, methinks OP gained new wisdom: The more you learn, the more you know how little you know. This applies especially to China, and it certainly characterizes my China experiences.
I think I have this travel/leisure thing pretty much nailed, but business is much more challenging. Our Chinese team members actually are clued in. The thing is, if we don't ask them pointed questions, they will not avail us of their knowledge.

Simple example:
-we wanted to transfer x shares in our hk entity from one party to another
-accountant tells us that stamp duty is several thousand USD
-after spending 10 minutes on Google, we suggest an approach that puts the stamp duty at $10
-she later tells us, "yes, that's okay"
Old May 11, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I think I have this travel/leisure thing pretty much nailed, but business is much more challenging.
... or from my recent experiences, a plainclothes policewoman in Beijing who suspected that I am not a Mainlander and tried to start a very friendly conversation about some very unfriendly topics -- or a Uigher man in Turpan who knew that I am not a Mainlander and started a conversation about what he really thought of the Mainlanders.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Guys, if you guys are going to Beijing, I did a entire step by step video on how to get free access to Great Wall and other free or inexpensive must see attractions, and also some local scams. The full guide is here at http://www.diytravelshow.com/beijing

Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 11, 2015, 11:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Charles Huang
Guys, if you guys are going to Beijing, I did a entire step by step video on how to get free access to Great Wall and other free or inexpensive must see attractions, and also some local scams. The full guide is here at http://www.diytravelshow.com/beijing

Have a wonderful trip!
Cross-posting is bad news.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:04 pm

Since you are Dutch, may I ask have you also imported Heineken to China? It's getting really popular among us this year when I go back to China, I can always see people drinking Heineken or becks in the restaurants, bars and night clubs.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by kkiiopq
Since you are Dutch, may I ask have you also imported Heineken to China? It's getting really popular among us this year when I go back to China, I can always see people drinking Heineken or becks in the restaurants, bars and night clubs.
Heineken has been popular in China for a few decades, I think Tsingtao Beer has its roots linked to Heineken somehow. Also the Chinese name for Heineken is very easy to say and remember which I find helps when ordering, 喜力, Xili.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.