Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way into Shanghai from PVG late night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Cheapest way into Shanghai from PVG late night

I have a flight that gets in around 23:00. Looks like metro stops running? What's the best BUDGET way into town late night? Or even nearby (want to stay at IHG property but even closest is quite a few km away)

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can make the last subway, that would be cheap but slow. You'll probably be too late to connect to other lines, so a short taxi ride might be necessary to your final destination.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Daichovo
I have a flight that gets in around 23:00. Looks like metro stops running? What's the best BUDGET way into town late night? Or even nearby (want to stay at IHG property but even closest is quite a few km away)

Thanks!
There is a night bus (never taken it; seems to stop everywhere under the sun), and I think spring airlines runs a bus or two on its own.

I would shoot for peoples Uber, but plan on using a taxi as the fall back option.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you can make the last subway, that would be cheap but slow. You'll probably be too late to connect to other lines, so a short taxi ride might be necessary to your final destination.
The last subway is at 22h40 so that is not an option.
The cheap alternative is the bus. There is at least on express bus that goes to town at that hour.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JPDM
The cheap alternative is the bus. There is at least on express bus that goes to town at that hour.
I said IF. Sometimes planes arrive early, passengers don't have checked bags, etc. so that one gets out of the airport very early.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:16 pm

Do you have any info on night express buses? 11p is the last departure time for the numbered buses.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:27 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO

Late Night Bus

T1 Everyday from 23:00 until 45 mins after flights finish

T2 Everyday from 23:05 until 45 mins after flights finish

Stops
Longyang Rd Metro Station, Dongfang Rd-Zhangyang Rd, Dongfang Hospital (Pudong Ave), Middle Zhejiang Rd (People’s Square-Yan’an Rd), Shimenyi Rd (Yan’an Rd), Huashan Rd (Jing’an Temple-Yan’an Rd), Hongxu Rd (Yan’an Rd)

Final Destintation
Hongqiao Airport T1 Not over 45 mins 16-30 +86(21)68346612

http://en.shairport.com/2014-07/02/content_15974151.htm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

Late Night Bus

T1 Everyday from 23:00 until 45 mins after flights finish

T2 Everyday from 23:05 until 45 mins after flights finish

Stops
Longyang Rd Metro Station, Dongfang Rd-Zhangyang Rd, Dongfang Hospital (Pudong Ave), Middle Zhejiang Rd (People’s Square-Yan’an Rd), Shimenyi Rd (Yan’an Rd), Huashan Rd (Jing’an Temple-Yan’an Rd), Hongxu Rd (Yan’an Rd)

Final Destintation
Hongqiao Airport T1 Not over 45 mins 16-30 +86(21)68346612

http://en.shairport.com/2014-07/02/content_15974151.htm
Yes, that's the bus I was mentioned in post 3 (quite a tour!). But, JPDM suggested there were also express buses in post 4.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
3 (quite a tour!). .
Line 8 is OK if you want to make 13 stops before your final destination
3 miles from PVG

Of course you can then walk to Shanghai Wild Animal Park
and see dancing lions and tigers.

Line 8
19:35

Stops
Airport Authority Building,
Haitiansan Rd-Qihang Rd,
Traffic Command,
Customs Warehouse,
CNAF Station,
China Eastern Airlines Offices,
West Hebin Rd Kakou,
Airport Free Trade Zone,
Jinwen Rd- Wenju Rd,
Zhupan Highway-Chuannan Feng Highway,
Qianhui Rd-Nanzhu Highway,
Nanzhu Highway-Zhouzhu Highway/Zhucheng Rd/Weiting Rd,
Yan Cang, Renmin East Rd,

Nanhui Bus Station
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, that's the bus I was mentioned in post 3 (quite a tour!). But, JPDM suggested there were also express buses in post 4.
No sorry, I meant to say 'shuttle' not express. My photo of the board at Pudong says that the "midnight bus" leaves 45 minutes after the last flight.
The point of my previous post was to say that this was the cheapest way as there will be no subway for sure (unless the OP's flight is 2.5 hours early).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:09 am

No sorry, I meant to say 'shuttle' not express. My photo of the board at Pudong says that the "midnight bus" leaves 45 minutes after the last flight.
The point of my previous post was to say that this was the cheapest way as there will be no subway for sure (unless the OP's flight is 2.5 hours early).
Got it. Upon further review of the route, it honestly doesn't look THAT painful. However, the "45 minutes after last flight" thing is a pretty big deal (I could be home before it even left). Whenever I arrive that late, it's usually (at least partially) because I've grabbed a fare that was at least Y200 cheaper than an earlier arrival. As such, I have no problem at all allocating Y200 towards taxi/Uber.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:40 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
About the cheapest alternative I found was get to know someone on the plane who has a car service waiting for them and throw the driver an extra 100 yuan to take you to your hotel after their dropoff, which I did one night when my ORD-PVG was delayed arriving at 1am. Seriously though, you are getting into the middle of no-where at the middle of the night when the budget options are all closed. it's a long walk to the nearest IHG property. If you know your way around Shanghai, know a little Chinese (even if only having your hotel directions/address on your phone or printout in Chinese) then maybe, but if you're coming in on a long flight, it makes the 200 yuan for the taxi look cheap.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
About the cheapest alternative I found was get to know someone on the plane who has a car service waiting for them and throw the driver an extra 100 yuan to take you to your hotel after their dropoff, which I did one night when my ORD-PVG was delayed arriving at 1am. Seriously though, you are getting into the middle of no-where at the middle of the night when the budget options are all closed. it's a long walk to the nearest IHG property. If you know your way around Shanghai, know a little Chinese (even if only having your hotel directions/address on your phone or printout in Chinese) then maybe, but if you're coming in on a long flight, it makes the 200 yuan for the taxi look cheap.
I was tempted to suggest this option because basically every passenger on the 5J flight from MNL simply dreads the taxi idea... but, they also don't like the bus idea (as you mentioned, even if you sweat it out on the bus, you're still going to need to find a taxi for the last mile). If you simply ask your seatmate where they're headed, there's a very good chance that it's near you, and you'll be able to save Y100. That having been said, I would NOT plan on the ride share working out; just allocate Y250 in advance, and be pleasantly surprised if you score a better deal. That late night bus should never enter the equation.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I have been a bit unsure about the '45 mins' after last flight... I don't know how frequently buses run during the intervals between 2300 and 'last flight'... bearing in mind the last flight of the night (Spring from Hong Kong?) arrives close to 1 or 2 am or something.

it could mean a long wait between 2300 and the last flight unless there are regular frequencies in between.

i was on a late CX arrival last year, landed PVG at 2230 and just managed to make the last bus to Jing'An which left T2 at 2305. Glad I made it! (and it was quick too at that time of night.)
Old May 28, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Looks like night bus will go for sure after "last flight"...too late for subway. I avoid checking bags like the plague so should be quick at least. I am taking Spring Airlines though so that's good to know about possible other bus. Will report back mid-June with results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.